Gnocci Romana with MushroomsBen O'Donoghue
- ¾ cup semolina
- 3 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 celery stick chopped
- 1 medium onion skinned and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 100g butter grated
- 2 egg yolks
- 100g parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped parsley
- 1 lemon
- 100ml pure cream
- 500g mixed mushrooms (oyster, pink oyster, king brown, enoki, wood ear, pine or slippery jacks) brushed clean and sliced
- To make the gnocchi: Combine the milk with the chopped vegetables, 1 teaspoon of thyme and bay leaf, and gently simmer for 10 minutes to infuse all the flavour. Pass the milk through a sieve into the pot and return to the heat. Simmer again and then whisk in the semolina and stir until thick. Continue to stir for about 5 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Whilst still hot, whisk in the egg yolks and ½ the grated parmesan, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Line a flat baking tray with baking paper and spread the thick Semolina over the tray so that it is about 2-3cm thick. Allow to cool.
- Once cool, cut the gnocchi dough into circles using a round pastry cutter, reforming any trim so as to use all the Semolina. Rub a baking dish with butter and then arrange the semolina gnocchi slightly overlapping. Dot the top of the gnocchi with half the butter and more parmesan cheese. Place the baking dish into a medium hot oven and bake until golden brown.
- While the gnocchi bakes, melt the remaining butter in a saucepan and add the garlic and thyme. Then add the mushroom and sauté until soft. Add the cream, salt and pepper, and simmer to slightly thicken. Finally, add the chopped parsley and a good squeeze of lemon juice.
- Once the gnocchi is out of the oven, pour the mushroom sauce over the gnocchi and finish with a grating of parmesan!
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a 2016 Contentious Character Shiraz 2016 or 2017 Long Rail Gully Riesling
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...