Gnocci Romana with MushroomsBen O'Donoghue
- ¾ cup semolina
- 3 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 celery stick chopped
- 1 medium onion skinned and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 100g butter grated
- 2 egg yolks
- 100g parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped parsley
- 1 lemon
- 100ml pure cream
- 500g mixed mushrooms (oyster, pink oyster, king brown, enoki, wood ear, pine or slippery jacks) brushed clean and sliced
- To make the gnocchi: Combine the milk with the chopped vegetables, 1 teaspoon of thyme and bay leaf, and gently simmer for 10 minutes to infuse all the flavour. Pass the milk through a sieve into the pot and return to the heat. Simmer again and then whisk in the semolina and stir until thick. Continue to stir for about 5 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Whilst still hot, whisk in the egg yolks and ½ the grated parmesan, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Line a flat baking tray with baking paper and spread the thick Semolina over the tray so that it is about 2-3cm thick. Allow to cool.
- Once cool, cut the gnocchi dough into circles using a round pastry cutter, reforming any trim so as to use all the Semolina. Rub a baking dish with butter and then arrange the semolina gnocchi slightly overlapping. Dot the top of the gnocchi with half the butter and more parmesan cheese. Place the baking dish into a medium hot oven and bake until golden brown.
- While the gnocchi bakes, melt the remaining butter in a saucepan and add the garlic and thyme. Then add the mushroom and sauté until soft. Add the cream, salt and pepper, and simmer to slightly thicken. Finally, add the chopped parsley and a good squeeze of lemon juice.
- Once the gnocchi is out of the oven, pour the mushroom sauce over the gnocchi and finish with a grating of parmesan!
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a 2016 Contentious Character Shiraz 2016 or 2017 Long Rail Gully Riesling
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...