Gnocci Romana with MushroomsBen O'Donoghue
- ¾ cup semolina
- 3 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 celery stick chopped
- 1 medium onion skinned and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 100g butter grated
- 2 egg yolks
- 100g parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped parsley
- 1 lemon
- 100ml pure cream
- 500g mixed mushrooms (oyster, pink oyster, king brown, enoki, wood ear, pine or slippery jacks) brushed clean and sliced
- To make the gnocchi: Combine the milk with the chopped vegetables, 1 teaspoon of thyme and bay leaf, and gently simmer for 10 minutes to infuse all the flavour. Pass the milk through a sieve into the pot and return to the heat. Simmer again and then whisk in the semolina and stir until thick. Continue to stir for about 5 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Whilst still hot, whisk in the egg yolks and ½ the grated parmesan, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Line a flat baking tray with baking paper and spread the thick Semolina over the tray so that it is about 2-3cm thick. Allow to cool.
- Once cool, cut the gnocchi dough into circles using a round pastry cutter, reforming any trim so as to use all the Semolina. Rub a baking dish with butter and then arrange the semolina gnocchi slightly overlapping. Dot the top of the gnocchi with half the butter and more parmesan cheese. Place the baking dish into a medium hot oven and bake until golden brown.
- While the gnocchi bakes, melt the remaining butter in a saucepan and add the garlic and thyme. Then add the mushroom and sauté until soft. Add the cream, salt and pepper, and simmer to slightly thicken. Finally, add the chopped parsley and a good squeeze of lemon juice.
- Once the gnocchi is out of the oven, pour the mushroom sauce over the gnocchi and finish with a grating of parmesan!
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a 2016 Contentious Character Shiraz 2016 or 2017 Long Rail Gully Riesling
Ingredients: 9 cherry tomatoes, halved 1 small garlic clove, thinly sliced 2 tsp good-quality olive oil 1 tsp balsamic vinegar 5 basil leaves, torn, plus a few extra to serve if you like 5 pitted olives, sliced 2 large free-range egg 1 tsp small capers, rinsed salt...
Ingredients: Leftover Spaghetti Bolognese Sliced white bread Mozzarella Smoked mozzarella Grated Parmesan Butter Olive oil Mayo Pesto Salt and pepper Method: Place a scoop of pasta on one side of the bread. Then grate up your 3 cheeses and place on the other side of...
Ingredients: 250g Walnuts 250g Hazelnuts 250g Macadamia nuts 125g Pumpkin seeds 125g Sunflower seeds 60g Butter, unsalted 2 Tbsp Honey, Mr Noons honeycomb 1 Tsp Cayenne pepper 2 Tbsp Rosemary, finely chopped 1 Tbsp Cognac Method: Preheat oven to 180* Prepare...
Client - That’s Amore Cheese Typically from Puglia, this fresh creamy cheese has gained more and more popularity in the past few years, not only in Italy but overseas. Burrata is a fresh, handmade cow's milk cheese made from mozzarella and cream and it can be used in...
Ingredients: 150g guanciale, diced 3 eggs, whisked 200g pecorino cheese, grated Black pepper Salt Method: Add salt to a pot of water, and bring to a boil. Cook your pasta until al dente. In a frying pan, add the guanciale on low heat and allow it to render out the...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...