Gnocci Romana with MushroomsBen O'Donoghue
- ¾ cup semolina
- 3 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 celery stick chopped
- 1 medium onion skinned and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 100g butter grated
- 2 egg yolks
- 100g parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped parsley
- 1 lemon
- 100ml pure cream
- 500g mixed mushrooms (oyster, pink oyster, king brown, enoki, wood ear, pine or slippery jacks) brushed clean and sliced
- To make the gnocchi: Combine the milk with the chopped vegetables, 1 teaspoon of thyme and bay leaf, and gently simmer for 10 minutes to infuse all the flavour. Pass the milk through a sieve into the pot and return to the heat. Simmer again and then whisk in the semolina and stir until thick. Continue to stir for about 5 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Whilst still hot, whisk in the egg yolks and ½ the grated parmesan, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Line a flat baking tray with baking paper and spread the thick Semolina over the tray so that it is about 2-3cm thick. Allow to cool.
- Once cool, cut the gnocchi dough into circles using a round pastry cutter, reforming any trim so as to use all the Semolina. Rub a baking dish with butter and then arrange the semolina gnocchi slightly overlapping. Dot the top of the gnocchi with half the butter and more parmesan cheese. Place the baking dish into a medium hot oven and bake until golden brown.
- While the gnocchi bakes, melt the remaining butter in a saucepan and add the garlic and thyme. Then add the mushroom and sauté until soft. Add the cream, salt and pepper, and simmer to slightly thicken. Finally, add the chopped parsley and a good squeeze of lemon juice.
- Once the gnocchi is out of the oven, pour the mushroom sauce over the gnocchi and finish with a grating of parmesan!
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a 2016 Contentious Character Shiraz 2016 or 2017 Long Rail Gully Riesling
Ingredients: 1 1⁄2 kg round steak, cleaned and cut into cubes 3 cans of roma tomatoes, crushed by hand 1 onion, finely diced 2-3 cloves of garlic 1⁄2 cup of olive oil, plus an additional 2 tbsp 1tbsp red wine vinegar 1L water or chicken stock (optional) 1tbsp tomato...
Ingredients: 1.5 kg green beans 3 potatoes 1 can of crushed tomatoes 1 tbsp tomato paste 2 onions, chopped 1 cup of olive oil 3 cups of Massel stock 1 cup of parsley finely chopped 1 tbsp sweet paprika Salt Pepper Method: Slice the tops off the green beans and string...
Ingredients: 500gm macaroni pasta 1 cup diced tomato Cheese sauce 500g monterey jack cheese 500ml cream 500ml milk 160gm butter 100gm flour 500ml beer Chilli flakes Salt and pepper 3/4 cup bread crumbs 2 tbsp melted butter 2 spring onion finely sliced Method: Cheese...
Ingredients: Serves 4 Hummus 1 Australian beetroot 4 Australian chestnuts 1 tin chickpeas 2 tbsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Freshly squeezed juice from 1 ½ Australian lemons 1 clove Australian garlic 2 tbsp unhulled tahini ½ tsp cumin Pinch sea salt Cracked...
Ingredients: 4× 150g veal rib-eye steaks 4 cups cornflakes 100g parmesan, finely grated 1 cup plain flour 1 egg 200ml milk 100g butter 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sunflower oil 12 sage leaves 8 anchovy fillets Bunch of wild rocket, to garnish Salsa 1 large red capsicum 2 ripe...
Ingredients: Ribeye steak Salt Pepper 100g butter, softened 1 orange, zest 1 tsp thyme 50g hazelnuts, roasted 80g Blue cheese Method: Liberally season your steak with salt and pepper and cook to your liking, turning regularly. Rest for half of the cook time. Combine...