Grilled Octopus, Burnt Aubergine and HarissaMike Reid
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Supreme Caravans
- 80g Octopus
- 50g Burnt Aubergine
- 10ml Nduja glaze
- 1 Thick slice white sourdough toast
- 10g butter, salted
- 300g Octopus, cleaned
- 2 limes, zested and sliced
- 2 Birdseye chilli, cut in half
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 kaffir lime leaf
- 20g ginger
- 50g Spanish onion, sliced
- 50ml Early harvest olive oil
- Sea Salt
- 100g Nduja paste
- 30g dark soft brown sugar
- 20ml rice vinegar
- 1 Aubergine (Egg plant)
- 1tsp cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ lime juiced
- 75ml Olive oil
- Add all ingredients except for the octopus into a pot of water and bring to the boil. Once boiling add your octopus bring back to the boil and then reduce to a simmer
- Cook until tender, it should take about 25 to 30 minutes. Once cooked take out a chill until needed
- Over a medium heat reduce down all the ingredients. You are looking for the consistency of a maple syrup for your glaze
- Cut your eggplants in half lengthways before scoring the flesh of your eggplant with your knife lightly. Then rub in the olive oil and spices and season generously with salt
- Grill over fire, start of first on the flesh side and cook for about 5 minutes before turning it over and cooking the rest of the way on the skin side for a further 20 minutes over a medium heat
- To finish toast your bread butter it generously and top with your eggplant, octopus and glaze
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Vermentino.
Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Vegemite and Cheese Scrolls
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Laura’s Mum’s Meatball Pasta
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Crispy Chilli Oil
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...
Special Fried Rice
Ingredients: 60 ml (¼ cup) peanut oil 4 green king prawns, peeled, cleaned and roughly chopped 2 eggs, lightly beaten 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 2 tsp finely chopped ginger 150 gm Chinese-style barbecue pork char siu roughly chopped 555 gm (3 cups) cooked rice 1...