Jam SandwichBen O'Donoghue
- 1 round of white sliced bread per doughnut sandwich
- 1 tablespoon or as required Strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon or as required Nutella spread
- Butter as required
- 500mls vegetable oil
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 1 cup Self raising flour
- ¼ cup of butter milk or milk
- soda water
- Make the batter by placing the flour into a bowl and whisk in the buttermilk if using (the butter milk gives a better flavor and lightness) then whisk in enough cold soda water to make a batter the consistency of pouring cream.
- Preheat the veg oil in a large fry pan or wok.
- Make the sandwiches by removing the crust off the white sliced bread. Butter one side of the bread then add your filling either jam or Nutella.
- At this stage you can either cut the sandos into triangles or leave whole and cut after cooking either way it works. The triangles may help if the wok or pan is smaller.
- Test the heat of the oil by dropping one of the crusts in and if it bubbles and sizzles it ready.
- Dredge the sandos into the batter to coat well and carefully place into the hot oil and cook until golden on either side. Remove from the hot oil and drain well then place into a tray with the cinnamon sugar and toss well.
- Serve while hot with ice cream.
Ingredients: Makes 28 portions 12 eggs 800gm 900gm caster sugar 675gm 68% Madagascar chocolate 675gm-unsalted butter 225gm ground macadamia meal 225gm cocoa powder 300gm macadamia nuts Method: Preheat oven to 150 degrees Grease and line sponge tray with parchment...
Ingredients: 1 cup semolina 1 cup almonds, blanched, toasted and roughly chopped 2 cups self raising flour, sifted 2 tsp baking powder Rind of 1 lemon 6 eggs 250g butter at room temp Juice of 2 oranges 2 tbsp cognac or brandy 1 cup of caster. Sugar Shredded coconut as...
Ingredients: Makes 12 ¾ cup Australian almonds 1/3 cup rolled oats 2 tbsp cacao powder ½ tsp vanilla extract 12 medjool dates 3 tbsp cacao nibs 1 tbsp Australian almond oil Method: In a food processor blend ¼ cup of the almonds until they are crushed lightly but not...
Ingredients: Makes 2 small jars of jam and nut butter Jam ¼ cup fresh Australian raspberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blackberries ¼ cup fresh Australian strawberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blueberries ¼ cup fresh Australian red seedless grapes Splash Water ¼ cup chia...
Ingredients: Serves two 1/2 cup very cold vodka Juice of two limes 2 tablespoons sugar syrup 1/2 cup fresh raspberries 1/2 cup blueberries Approx 500ml sparkling water Ice Method: Bring together the vodka, lime juice, sugar syrup, raspberries, blueberries and...
Ingredients: 8 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla extract 3 cups white sugar 3 litres of milk Pinch of salt 120g butter 2 cups semolina 15 sheets of fillo pastry 150g butter melted (approx.) Icing sugar + cinnamon to serve Method: Separate egg yolks from whites Add vanilla...