Japanese Inspired Beef TartareMimi Baines
- 300 gm piece of eye fillet, good quality
- 2tbsp peanut oil
- 2 french shallots
- 10 x baby cornichons
- 2 tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp Palm sugar
- 2 tbsp Tamari soy sauce
- 2 x cloves Garlic
- Ginger, 5cm piece
- 1 x bunch coriander
- White sesame seeds
- Black sesame seeds
- Lime, to serve
- 5 x rice paper sheets
- 2L sunflower oil (for frying)
- 2 x nori sheets, toasted
- Sea Salt flakes
- Finely dice beef, then place into a bowl and set aside in the fridge. Then finely dice French shallot and cornichons – set aside in a small bowl.
- Mix rice wine vinegar, ½ tbs palm sugar finely grated, mirin, fish sauce, soy sauce, crushed garlic and grated ginger.
- To make nori salt, pulse toasted nori in a nutribullet/blender then mix with sea salt flakes.
- To make rice paper, heat oil to about 180C in a shallow frypan, place 1 rice paper sheet in at a time, and cook until puffed, remove and drain oil – sprinkle with nori salt.
- Combine cornichons and shallots with beef, add in finely sliced coriander stems. Drizzle the beef with dressing, combining well. Serve with fried rice paper crackers, sprinkle with sesame seeds and leftover nori salt.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...