Japanese Inspired Beef TartareMimi Baines
- 300 gm piece of eye fillet, good quality
- 2tbsp peanut oil
- 2 french shallots
- 10 x baby cornichons
- 2 tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp Palm sugar
- 2 tbsp Tamari soy sauce
- 2 x cloves Garlic
- Ginger, 5cm piece
- 1 x bunch coriander
- White sesame seeds
- Black sesame seeds
- Lime, to serve
- 5 x rice paper sheets
- 2L sunflower oil (for frying)
- 2 x nori sheets, toasted
- Sea Salt flakes
- Finely dice beef, then place into a bowl and set aside in the fridge. Then finely dice French shallot and cornichons – set aside in a small bowl.
- Mix rice wine vinegar, ½ tbs palm sugar finely grated, mirin, fish sauce, soy sauce, crushed garlic and grated ginger.
- To make nori salt, pulse toasted nori in a nutribullet/blender then mix with sea salt flakes.
- To make rice paper, heat oil to about 180C in a shallow frypan, place 1 rice paper sheet in at a time, and cook until puffed, remove and drain oil – sprinkle with nori salt.
- Combine cornichons and shallots with beef, add in finely sliced coriander stems. Drizzle the beef with dressing, combining well. Serve with fried rice paper crackers, sprinkle with sesame seeds and leftover nori salt.
Ingredients: 4 duck breast 1 tablspoon brown sugar ½ tablespoon salt ¼ bunch thyme 1 tsp five spice butter garlic Sauce 1/3 cup sugar 1/3 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 to 2 oranges) segments of one orange 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar 1/8 teaspoon salt 2 to 4...
Ingredients: Serve 4 4 thick King salmon or Atlantic salmon Vegetable oil Lime wedges Marinade 2 pinches of salt 2 teaspoons chilli powder juice of 1 lime 1 teaspoon sugar 2 teaspoons garlic paste 2 teaspoons ginger paste Crust 180g white split peas (urad dal) 1...
Ingredients: Mornay Sauce 25gm unsalted butter 25gm Laucke plain flour 1 cup full cream milk 80gm Gruyere cheese grated Salt White pepper For the Sandwich Four thick slices white bread 100gm unsalted butter 2 tsp Dijon mustard 4 slices Gruyere cheese (80gm) 200gm...
Ingredients: 500g kangaroo sirloin cut into thin strips 2 tablespoons cornflour 2 tablespoon sunflower oil for frying 2 green capsicums – cut into strips 2 bunch of broccolini – bottom end removed and cut in half 1 bunch green onions – green and whites finely chopped...
Ingredients: Makes Two 4 rounds or Rye bread slices 300gm sliced pastrami 100gm sauerkraut 200gm comte cheese or cheddar 2 large garlic and dill pickles cut in half 4 tbsp kewpie mayo 1 tbsp hot English mustard 100gm butter soft Method: Combine the hot English mustard...
Ingredients: Serves 4 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 4 eggs separated 1 cup butter milk 1 cup ricotta 1 cup corn frozen 1 small bunch coriander leaves chopped 1 lg smashed avo 200gm chopped tomatoes 1/4 medium red onion sliced 1 clove of garlic chopped...