Japanese Inspired Beef TartareMimi Baines
- 300 gm piece of eye fillet, good quality
- 2tbsp peanut oil
- 2 french shallots
- 10 x baby cornichons
- 2 tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp Palm sugar
- 2 tbsp Tamari soy sauce
- 2 x cloves Garlic
- Ginger, 5cm piece
- 1 x bunch coriander
- White sesame seeds
- Black sesame seeds
- Lime, to serve
- 5 x rice paper sheets
- 2L sunflower oil (for frying)
- 2 x nori sheets, toasted
- Sea Salt flakes
- Finely dice beef, then place into a bowl and set aside in the fridge. Then finely dice French shallot and cornichons – set aside in a small bowl.
- Mix rice wine vinegar, ½ tbs palm sugar finely grated, mirin, fish sauce, soy sauce, crushed garlic and grated ginger.
- To make nori salt, pulse toasted nori in a nutribullet/blender then mix with sea salt flakes.
- To make rice paper, heat oil to about 180C in a shallow frypan, place 1 rice paper sheet in at a time, and cook until puffed, remove and drain oil – sprinkle with nori salt.
- Combine cornichons and shallots with beef, add in finely sliced coriander stems. Drizzle the beef with dressing, combining well. Serve with fried rice paper crackers, sprinkle with sesame seeds and leftover nori salt.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...