Kerala Fish CurryBen O'Donoghue
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon thinly sliced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 2 cups Basic chicken stock
- 4 x 200g thick portions Ling or other reef fish
- 1 tablespoon crispy fried shallots, to serve
- 1 tablespoon crispy fried garlic, to serve
- springs coriander, to garnish
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- handful fresh curry leaves
- Heat the sunflower oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Fry the onion until translucent, then add the ginger and garlic and sauté until soft.
- Combine the chilli powder and turmeric with a few drops of water to make a paste. Add to the pan and fry over low heat until the oil separates. Season with salt and pepper, then add the tamarind paste and stock. Bring the sauce to a boil, then simmer to reduce by a quarter. Keep warm.
- Steam the fish fillets in a steamer over medium–high heat until the flesh just starts to give and flake under the pressure of your finger. At this point it will be just cooked. Turn off the steamer and allow the fish to rest while you prepare the tempering.
- To make the tempering, heat the sunflower oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the fenugreek seeds and fry until fragrant. Add the mustard seeds, and when they start to splutter, add the curry leaves and fry until crisp.
- To serve, pour the sauce over the fish, followed by the tempering mixture. Sprinkle with the crispy fried shallots and garlic, and garnish with coriander sprigs.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a The Octogenarian by Woodstock Grenache 2016 or Hancock & Hancock Home Vineyard Fiano 2018
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...