Kerala Fish CurryBen O'Donoghue
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon thinly sliced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 2 cups Basic chicken stock
- 4 x 200g thick portions Ling or other reef fish
- 1 tablespoon crispy fried shallots, to serve
- 1 tablespoon crispy fried garlic, to serve
- springs coriander, to garnish
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- handful fresh curry leaves
- Heat the sunflower oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Fry the onion until translucent, then add the ginger and garlic and sauté until soft.
- Combine the chilli powder and turmeric with a few drops of water to make a paste. Add to the pan and fry over low heat until the oil separates. Season with salt and pepper, then add the tamarind paste and stock. Bring the sauce to a boil, then simmer to reduce by a quarter. Keep warm.
- Steam the fish fillets in a steamer over medium–high heat until the flesh just starts to give and flake under the pressure of your finger. At this point it will be just cooked. Turn off the steamer and allow the fish to rest while you prepare the tempering.
- To make the tempering, heat the sunflower oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the fenugreek seeds and fry until fragrant. Add the mustard seeds, and when they start to splutter, add the curry leaves and fry until crisp.
- To serve, pour the sauce over the fish, followed by the tempering mixture. Sprinkle with the crispy fried shallots and garlic, and garnish with coriander sprigs.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a The Octogenarian by Woodstock Grenache 2016 or Hancock & Hancock Home Vineyard Fiano 2018
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...