Kimchi Udon Bokkeum (Spicy Kimchi Noodles)Sofia Levin
- 500g udon noodles
- 8 rindless shortcut bacon slices (or tofu if the preference is veg), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 ½ cups chopped kimchi
- ½ cup kimchi juice
- 2 tbsp gochujang (fermented pepper sauce)
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup chicken broth/stock
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 2 spring onion stalks, whites and greens thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- Sesame seeds to garnish (mixed black and white ideal)
- Dried/roasted seaweed to garnish
- Heat 2 tbsp butter in a large pan until melted. Add onion and bacon and cook until the onion starts to turn translucent. Add chopped kimchi and gochujang. Stir occasionally until kimchi and onion starts to caramelise. Add broth and juice, bring to simmer.
- While the above is reducing, cook noodles according to package directions and fry or soft boil eggs. If using tofu instead of bacon, pan fry separately here.
- Add noodles to the pan when cooked, along with the remaining butter. Cook until coated and season to taste.
- Serve noodles in bowls, garnished with eggs, spring onion, seaweed and sesame seeds.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Pinot Gris.
Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Vegemite and Cheese Scrolls
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Laura’s Mum’s Meatball Pasta
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Crispy Chilli Oil
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...
Special Fried Rice
Ingredients: 60 ml (¼ cup) peanut oil 4 green king prawns, peeled, cleaned and roughly chopped 2 eggs, lightly beaten 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 2 tsp finely chopped ginger 150 gm Chinese-style barbecue pork char siu roughly chopped 555 gm (3 cups) cooked rice 1...