Kimchi Udon Bokkeum (Spicy Kimchi Noodles)Sofia Levin
- 500g udon noodles
- 8 rindless shortcut bacon slices (or tofu if the preference is veg), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 ½ cups chopped kimchi
- ½ cup kimchi juice
- 2 tbsp gochujang (fermented pepper sauce)
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup chicken broth/stock
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 2 spring onion stalks, whites and greens thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- Sesame seeds to garnish (mixed black and white ideal)
- Dried/roasted seaweed to garnish
- Heat 2 tbsp butter in a large pan until melted. Add onion and bacon and cook until the onion starts to turn translucent. Add chopped kimchi and gochujang. Stir occasionally until kimchi and onion starts to caramelise. Add broth and juice, bring to simmer.
- While the above is reducing, cook noodles according to package directions and fry or soft boil eggs. If using tofu instead of bacon, pan fry separately here.
- Add noodles to the pan when cooked, along with the remaining butter. Cook until coated and season to taste.
- Serve noodles in bowls, garnished with eggs, spring onion, seaweed and sesame seeds.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Pinot Gris.
Ingredients: 500g fresh broad beans, in their pods 3–4 small fennel bulbs 250g frozen peas, thawed and rinsed 1 red onion, finely sliced 1 cup dill, finely chopped 1⁄2 bunch mint, finely chopped, plus extra whole leaves to garnish 1⁄2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Let's Go Motorhomes Romesco Sauce: 4 large red peppers 2 garlic cloves 150g ground almonds 100g sun-dried tomatoes in oil 100ml extra virgin olive oil 20ml apple cider vinegar 1 tbsp smoked paprika 1...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 1 cup Vegetable oil 4 eggs 3 lap cheong sausages, thinly sliced 2 Tbsp XO Sauce 100gm cherry tomatoes, halved ½ red onion, thinly sliced 1 green chilli, thinly sliced ½ cup coriander, roughly chopped Method: Heat oil in a wok over a...
Ingredients: ½ cup dried scallops ½ cup dried shrimp 300ml Shaoxing wine 6 long red chillies, roughly chopped 2 inch piece ginger, peeled, roughly chopped 1 head garlic (10-12 cloves), peeled, roughly chopped 2 large red shallots, roughly chopped 1 large rasher bacon,...
Ingredients: Filling: 1 bunch silverbeet, chopped finely 500g ricotta 1 egg 50g grated parmigiano cheese Sea salt Freshly cracked black pepper 1/3 nutmeg grated Sugo: 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 garlic clove, finely chopped 1 long red...
Ingredients: 100g butter 200g finely grated pecorino cheese Salt Black pepper, freshly ground Pasta Dough: 100g semolina flour 100g plain flour 80ml - 100ml water Pinch of salt Method: Make the pasta dough and allow it to rest for 20 minutes. Cut the dough into long...