Kimchi Udon Bokkeum (Spicy Kimchi Noodles)Sofia Levin
- 500g udon noodles
- 8 rindless shortcut bacon slices (or tofu if the preference is veg), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 ½ cups chopped kimchi
- ½ cup kimchi juice
- 2 tbsp gochujang (fermented pepper sauce)
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup chicken broth/stock
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 2 spring onion stalks, whites and greens thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- Sesame seeds to garnish (mixed black and white ideal)
- Dried/roasted seaweed to garnish
- Heat 2 tbsp butter in a large pan until melted. Add onion and bacon and cook until the onion starts to turn translucent. Add chopped kimchi and gochujang. Stir occasionally until kimchi and onion starts to caramelise. Add broth and juice, bring to simmer.
- While the above is reducing, cook noodles according to package directions and fry or soft boil eggs. If using tofu instead of bacon, pan fry separately here.
- Add noodles to the pan when cooked, along with the remaining butter. Cook until coated and season to taste.
- Serve noodles in bowls, garnished with eggs, spring onion, seaweed and sesame seeds.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Pinot Gris.
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...