Lancashire Hot PotBen O'Donoghue
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 8x 150g lamb neck chops
- 100ml olive oil
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large quince peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 700g waxy potatoes (such as desiree), peeled, sliced into 1cm rounds
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 200ml chicken stock
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Combine the flour with a good pinch of salt and pepper in a plastic bag. Add the lamb chops and shake the bag for 30 seconds to evenly coat the lamb.
- Heat half the oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat. Shake excess flour off the lamb, then cook, in batches, for 2-3 minutes each side until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Wipe the pan clean with a paper towel and place over medium heat. Add the remaining 50ml oil and cook the onions, stirring, for 10-12 minutes until soft and starting to colour. Add garlic and cook for a further 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place lamb in a flameproof casserole, then top with onion mixture and bay leaves. Then sliced quince.
Toss the sliced potatoes with the melted butter and thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Arrange potatoes over the top of the onions in a circular pattern, overlapping slightly.
- Pour the stock over the potatoes, then cover the casserole dish with the lid. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 130°C and cook for a further 21/2 hours or until potatoes and meat are tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Remove the lid, then switch the oven to the grill function. Grill on high heat for 3 minutes or until the potatoes are golden.
- Allow to Rest while you make the gremolata.
- For the gremolata, place the parsley, garlic and lemon zest together in a bowl, then stir to combine.
- Divide hotpot among bowls, sprinkle with gremolata and serve
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Ross Hill Pinnacle Series Chardonnay 2016 or Angullong Fossil Hill Tempranillo 2018
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...