Lancashire Hot PotBen O'Donoghue
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 8x 150g lamb neck chops
- 100ml olive oil
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large quince peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 700g waxy potatoes (such as desiree), peeled, sliced into 1cm rounds
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 200ml chicken stock
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Combine the flour with a good pinch of salt and pepper in a plastic bag. Add the lamb chops and shake the bag for 30 seconds to evenly coat the lamb.
- Heat half the oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat. Shake excess flour off the lamb, then cook, in batches, for 2-3 minutes each side until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Wipe the pan clean with a paper towel and place over medium heat. Add the remaining 50ml oil and cook the onions, stirring, for 10-12 minutes until soft and starting to colour. Add garlic and cook for a further 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place lamb in a flameproof casserole, then top with onion mixture and bay leaves. Then sliced quince.
Toss the sliced potatoes with the melted butter and thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Arrange potatoes over the top of the onions in a circular pattern, overlapping slightly.
- Pour the stock over the potatoes, then cover the casserole dish with the lid. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 130°C and cook for a further 21/2 hours or until potatoes and meat are tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Remove the lid, then switch the oven to the grill function. Grill on high heat for 3 minutes or until the potatoes are golden.
- Allow to Rest while you make the gremolata.
- For the gremolata, place the parsley, garlic and lemon zest together in a bowl, then stir to combine.
- Divide hotpot among bowls, sprinkle with gremolata and serve
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Ross Hill Pinnacle Series Chardonnay 2016 or Angullong Fossil Hill Tempranillo 2018
Ingredients: 250g fresh pasta 3 large free range eggs 40g parmigiano cheese 150g smoked pancetta / guanciale Sea salt flakes Black pepper Method: In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, parmigiano cheese, salt and pepper. In the meantime, place the diced pancetta into a fry...
Ingredients: Makes 12-24 Leftover Lasagne ¼ cup plain flour 2 eggs 1-2 cups Panko crumbs Anchovy Mayonnaise 1 large egg yolk 1 tsp Dijon mustard ½ tsp lemon zest 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 cup light extra virgin olive oil 6-7 anchovy fillets in oil, drained, finely chopped...
Ingredients: This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian Inspirations Serves 2 240g cabbage (finely chopped) 80g spring onion (finely chopped) 160g squid tube (finely chopped) 3 tbsp vegetable oil Batter: 120g plain flour 1 tsp baking powder 4 eggs 2 tsp...
Ingredients: 2 brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, finely diced 2 celery sticks, finely diced 100g pancetta, finely diced 4 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 4 fresh bay leaves 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped 1/4 bunch sage, finely chopped 150g...
Ingredients: 110g Safcol Sardines in Springwater, drained 2 tbsp oil 1 clove garlic, sliced 2 slices ginger, julienned 2 spring onions, cut to 2cm lengths 1 tbsp brandy (you may substitute this with Chinese cooking wine) 2 tsp black bean sauce (available in the Asian...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 500g Red chilli 125g Red onion 25g garlic cloves 250ml lime juice 125ml fish sauce 125g sugar caster 50ml soy sauce 50ml rice vinegar Method: Blitz red chilli, onion and garlic in the robo-coup on pulse setting, it should still be quite coarse...