Lancashire Hot PotBen O'Donoghue
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 8x 150g lamb neck chops
- 100ml olive oil
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large quince peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 700g waxy potatoes (such as desiree), peeled, sliced into 1cm rounds
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 200ml chicken stock
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Combine the flour with a good pinch of salt and pepper in a plastic bag. Add the lamb chops and shake the bag for 30 seconds to evenly coat the lamb.
- Heat half the oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat. Shake excess flour off the lamb, then cook, in batches, for 2-3 minutes each side until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Wipe the pan clean with a paper towel and place over medium heat. Add the remaining 50ml oil and cook the onions, stirring, for 10-12 minutes until soft and starting to colour. Add garlic and cook for a further 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place lamb in a flameproof casserole, then top with onion mixture and bay leaves. Then sliced quince.
Toss the sliced potatoes with the melted butter and thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Arrange potatoes over the top of the onions in a circular pattern, overlapping slightly.
- Pour the stock over the potatoes, then cover the casserole dish with the lid. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 130°C and cook for a further 21/2 hours or until potatoes and meat are tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Remove the lid, then switch the oven to the grill function. Grill on high heat for 3 minutes or until the potatoes are golden.
- Allow to Rest while you make the gremolata.
- For the gremolata, place the parsley, garlic and lemon zest together in a bowl, then stir to combine.
- Divide hotpot among bowls, sprinkle with gremolata and serve
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Ross Hill Pinnacle Series Chardonnay 2016 or Angullong Fossil Hill Tempranillo 2018
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...