Lemon Meringue CheesecakeBen O'Donoghue
- 330mls Lemons juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 8 egg yolks
- 8 whole eggs
- 450gm unsalted butter cubed
- 320gm caster sugar
- 200mls water
- 200gm caster sugar
- 150gm egg whites
- Pinch cream of tartar
The Cheesecake – Sponge base
- 125gm butter
- 1/2-cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1tbsp milk
- 1tsp lemon zest
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1-cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
The Cheesecake – Filling
- 250gm goats curd cheese
- 250gm sour cream
- 1cup caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons lemon curd (above)
- Combine the butter , sugar, lemon juice and zest in a pot.
- Whisk the eggs and egg yolks together.
- Place the pot onto the stove over a medium heat and whisk until it starts to melt. Then whisk in the egg mixture and continue to whisk continuously until the mixture is over 74 degrees. Then continue to whisk until the mixture is thick enough to draw a figure of eight and for it to hold its form.
- Remove from the heat and whisk until the curd has cooled.
- This can be done over and ice bath to speed the process.
- Store in sterilised jars or airtight containers in the fridge.
- Bring the water and sugar to the boil and heat until it reaches 125 degrees.
- In a clean mixing bowl whisk the egg whites until soft peak
- Whilst the machine is whisking at high speed pour in the syrup and continue to whisk until cool
- Then the meringue is ready to use. It should be thick and shiny in texture and look
- Form here you can either pipe or use a spoon to top the cheese cake.
- Grease and line a 10 inch springform tin
- Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla together add one egg at a time and then the zest and milk
- Add all the dry ingredients and pour into the base of the cake tin
- Then beat the cheese and the sour cream, add the sugar and then the eggs.
- Pour a little curd over the sponge batter then half the filling then a little more lemon curd and finally the rest of the filling
- Bake at 180 degrees for 35-40 minutes should be slightly golden and a bit wobbly allow to cool completely before finishing
- Unmould the cheesecake and add 2/3 tablespoons of lemon curd to the top. Then top with meringue either using a piping bag or spoon.
- Burn the meringue with a blow torch or under a hot grill to finish.
Ingredients: 185 g dates 1 cup water 60g butter 2 eggs 185g self raising flour 185g sugar 1tsp baking powder ½ tsp vanilla paste Butterscotch Sauce: 1 cup cream ¾ cup brown sugar 2 tbsp butter Pinch of salt Method: Bring the dates and water to a boil, then remove from...
Ingredients: 4 Lady Finger Bananas Woodchips for smoking in a fire or hibachi Dulce De Leche Creme: 2 Tbsp Dulce de leche 200ml Cream Chocolate Sauce: 150ml full-fat milk 150ml double cream 300g dark chocolate, broken into pieces 1 tsp vanilla extract To Serve: 1 tbsp...
Ingredients: 3 eggs, separated 6 tbsp caster sugar 500 g mascarpone cream 500ml espresso coffee 80ml marsala 500g savoiardi biscotti ( 1 large packet ) Dark chocolate, to grate Cocoa powder, to dust Method: Beat the egg yolks and half the sugar in a bowl for 5 minutes...
Ingredients: 1 pear, peeled and cored, diced 1 tsp ground cinnamon 125g unsalted butter ½ cup caster sugar 2 eggs 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking powder Salt Streusal Crumb: 40g unsalted butter, chilled, diced 1/3 cup plain flour 2 Tbsp caster sugar Salt Method:...
Ingredients: 2 eggs 1 cup sugar ¾ cup vegetable oil 1 tsp vanilla essence 2 cups grated carrot 1 ¼ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking soda 2-3 tsp cinnamon 2-3 tsp mixed spice ½ tsp salt Lime Cream Cheese: 200g cream cheese, room temperature 1 ½ cups icing sugar, sifted...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 ¼ cup Nutella 8 thick slices of brioche 3 eggs ¼ cup milk 1 vanilla bean, scraped 40g butter 2 lady finger bananas 2 Tablespoons caster sugar 160g unsalted butter ¼ cup pistachios, chopped ¼ cup maple syrup Edible flowers to garnish Ice cream to...