Lemon Meringue CheesecakeBen O'Donoghue
- 330mls Lemons juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 8 egg yolks
- 8 whole eggs
- 450gm unsalted butter cubed
- 320gm caster sugar
- 200mls water
- 200gm caster sugar
- 150gm egg whites
- Pinch cream of tartar
The Cheesecake – Sponge base
- 125gm butter
- 1/2-cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1tbsp milk
- 1tsp lemon zest
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1-cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
The Cheesecake – Filling
- 250gm goats curd cheese
- 250gm sour cream
- 1cup caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons lemon curd (above)
- Combine the butter , sugar, lemon juice and zest in a pot.
- Whisk the eggs and egg yolks together.
- Place the pot onto the stove over a medium heat and whisk until it starts to melt. Then whisk in the egg mixture and continue to whisk continuously until the mixture is over 74 degrees. Then continue to whisk until the mixture is thick enough to draw a figure of eight and for it to hold its form.
- Remove from the heat and whisk until the curd has cooled.
- This can be done over and ice bath to speed the process.
- Store in sterilised jars or airtight containers in the fridge.
- Bring the water and sugar to the boil and heat until it reaches 125 degrees.
- In a clean mixing bowl whisk the egg whites until soft peak
- Whilst the machine is whisking at high speed pour in the syrup and continue to whisk until cool
- Then the meringue is ready to use. It should be thick and shiny in texture and look
- Form here you can either pipe or use a spoon to top the cheese cake.
- Grease and line a 10 inch springform tin
- Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla together add one egg at a time and then the zest and milk
- Add all the dry ingredients and pour into the base of the cake tin
- Then beat the cheese and the sour cream, add the sugar and then the eggs.
- Pour a little curd over the sponge batter then half the filling then a little more lemon curd and finally the rest of the filling
- Bake at 180 degrees for 35-40 minutes should be slightly golden and a bit wobbly allow to cool completely before finishing
- Unmould the cheesecake and add 2/3 tablespoons of lemon curd to the top. Then top with meringue either using a piping bag or spoon.
- Burn the meringue with a blow torch or under a hot grill to finish.
Banana Breakfast Bar
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at JC’s Quality Foods Ingredients: 1 ½ cups raw cashews 1 ½ desiccated coconut 3 medium ripe bananas, peeled and chopped 10 fresh dates, pitted 2 tsp vanilla extract ⅓ cup raw cacao powder ½ tsp bicarbonate of...
Ingredients: 500g unsalted room temp butter + extra for greasing 250g self-raising flour + extra for dusting 250g golden caster sugar 5 large free-range eggs 100ml milk ½ tsp vanilla extract ½ tp baking powder 250g quality dark chocolate (70%) 100g icing sugar 300g...
Raspberry Grappa Jam Drops
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at JC’s Quality Foods Ingredients: 2 cups (300g) Buckwheat flour 1 ½ cups almond meal 1 tsp ground cinnamon ½ tsp sea salt flakes ¾ cup maple syrup ½ cup vegetable oil ⅓ cup raspberry jam Method: Preheat the...
Deep Fried Apple Pie
Ingredients: Oil, for frying For the Pastry: 250g plain white flour 90g cornflour 70g caster sugar 3g sea salt 70g cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces 10ml cider vinegar 120g water For the Filling: 4 Granny Smiths apples, peeled, cored & roughly chopped 65g...
Crème Brûlèe Donuts
Ingredients:Makes 12 donuts Oil, for frying For the Dough: 1 cup lukewarm milk 1 tbsp dried yeast 1/3 cup caster sugar 3 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla paste 4 tbsp soft butter 4 1/4 cups plain flour For the Custard: 1/2 cup sugar 3 tbsp cornflour 2 cups milk 4 yolks 2 tsps...
Banana Crepes with Banana Caramel
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 200g plain flour 100 caster sugar 200ml milk, full fat 1 whole egg 1 egg yolk 50g butter Icing sugar, for dusting For Bananas: 75g caster sugar 30g butter, salted Banana...