Lemon Meringue CheesecakeBen O'Donoghue
- 330mls Lemons juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 8 egg yolks
- 8 whole eggs
- 450gm unsalted butter cubed
- 320gm caster sugar
- 200mls water
- 200gm caster sugar
- 150gm egg whites
- Pinch cream of tartar
The Cheesecake – Sponge base
- 125gm butter
- 1/2-cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1tbsp milk
- 1tsp lemon zest
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1-cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
The Cheesecake – Filling
- 250gm goats curd cheese
- 250gm sour cream
- 1cup caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons lemon curd (above)
- Combine the butter , sugar, lemon juice and zest in a pot.
- Whisk the eggs and egg yolks together.
- Place the pot onto the stove over a medium heat and whisk until it starts to melt. Then whisk in the egg mixture and continue to whisk continuously until the mixture is over 74 degrees. Then continue to whisk until the mixture is thick enough to draw a figure of eight and for it to hold its form.
- Remove from the heat and whisk until the curd has cooled.
- This can be done over and ice bath to speed the process.
- Store in sterilised jars or airtight containers in the fridge.
- Bring the water and sugar to the boil and heat until it reaches 125 degrees.
- In a clean mixing bowl whisk the egg whites until soft peak
- Whilst the machine is whisking at high speed pour in the syrup and continue to whisk until cool
- Then the meringue is ready to use. It should be thick and shiny in texture and look
- Form here you can either pipe or use a spoon to top the cheese cake.
- Grease and line a 10 inch springform tin
- Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla together add one egg at a time and then the zest and milk
- Add all the dry ingredients and pour into the base of the cake tin
- Then beat the cheese and the sour cream, add the sugar and then the eggs.
- Pour a little curd over the sponge batter then half the filling then a little more lemon curd and finally the rest of the filling
- Bake at 180 degrees for 35-40 minutes should be slightly golden and a bit wobbly allow to cool completely before finishing
- Unmould the cheesecake and add 2/3 tablespoons of lemon curd to the top. Then top with meringue either using a piping bag or spoon.
- Burn the meringue with a blow torch or under a hot grill to finish.
Ingredients: Makes 28 portions 12 eggs 800gm 900gm caster sugar 675gm 68% Madagascar chocolate 675gm-unsalted butter 225gm ground macadamia meal 225gm cocoa powder 300gm macadamia nuts Method: Preheat oven to 150 degrees Grease and line sponge tray with parchment...
Ingredients: 1 cup semolina 1 cup almonds, blanched, toasted and roughly chopped 2 cups self raising flour, sifted 2 tsp baking powder Rind of 1 lemon 6 eggs 250g butter at room temp Juice of 2 oranges 2 tbsp cognac or brandy 1 cup of caster. Sugar Shredded coconut as...
Ingredients: Makes 12 ¾ cup Australian almonds 1/3 cup rolled oats 2 tbsp cacao powder ½ tsp vanilla extract 12 medjool dates 3 tbsp cacao nibs 1 tbsp Australian almond oil Method: In a food processor blend ¼ cup of the almonds until they are crushed lightly but not...
Ingredients: Makes 2 small jars of jam and nut butter Jam ¼ cup fresh Australian raspberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blackberries ¼ cup fresh Australian strawberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blueberries ¼ cup fresh Australian red seedless grapes Splash Water ¼ cup chia...
Ingredients: Serves two 1/2 cup very cold vodka Juice of two limes 2 tablespoons sugar syrup 1/2 cup fresh raspberries 1/2 cup blueberries Approx 500ml sparkling water Ice Method: Bring together the vodka, lime juice, sugar syrup, raspberries, blueberries and...
Ingredients: 8 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla extract 3 cups white sugar 3 litres of milk Pinch of salt 120g butter 2 cups semolina 15 sheets of fillo pastry 150g butter melted (approx.) Icing sugar + cinnamon to serve Method: Separate egg yolks from whites Add vanilla...