Lemon Meringue CheesecakeBen O'Donoghue
- 330mls Lemons juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 8 egg yolks
- 8 whole eggs
- 450gm unsalted butter cubed
- 320gm caster sugar
- 200mls water
- 200gm caster sugar
- 150gm egg whites
- Pinch cream of tartar
The Cheesecake – Sponge base
- 125gm butter
- 1/2-cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1tbsp milk
- 1tsp lemon zest
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1-cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
The Cheesecake – Filling
- 250gm goats curd cheese
- 250gm sour cream
- 1cup caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons lemon curd (above)
- Combine the butter , sugar, lemon juice and zest in a pot.
- Whisk the eggs and egg yolks together.
- Place the pot onto the stove over a medium heat and whisk until it starts to melt. Then whisk in the egg mixture and continue to whisk continuously until the mixture is over 74 degrees. Then continue to whisk until the mixture is thick enough to draw a figure of eight and for it to hold its form.
- Remove from the heat and whisk until the curd has cooled.
- This can be done over and ice bath to speed the process.
- Store in sterilised jars or airtight containers in the fridge.
- Bring the water and sugar to the boil and heat until it reaches 125 degrees.
- In a clean mixing bowl whisk the egg whites until soft peak
- Whilst the machine is whisking at high speed pour in the syrup and continue to whisk until cool
- Then the meringue is ready to use. It should be thick and shiny in texture and look
- Form here you can either pipe or use a spoon to top the cheese cake.
- Grease and line a 10 inch springform tin
- Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla together add one egg at a time and then the zest and milk
- Add all the dry ingredients and pour into the base of the cake tin
- Then beat the cheese and the sour cream, add the sugar and then the eggs.
- Pour a little curd over the sponge batter then half the filling then a little more lemon curd and finally the rest of the filling
- Bake at 180 degrees for 35-40 minutes should be slightly golden and a bit wobbly allow to cool completely before finishing
- Unmould the cheesecake and add 2/3 tablespoons of lemon curd to the top. Then top with meringue either using a piping bag or spoon.
- Burn the meringue with a blow torch or under a hot grill to finish.
Ingredients:BASE 3 Egg Yolks 1/2 cup Caster Sugar 125g soft butter 2 cups Self-Raising flour 1 cup orange juice Vanilla TOPPING 3 egg whites 1/2 cup caster sugar 1 cup desiccated coconut Method: Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add yolks and vanilla. Fold in the...
Ingredients: Plant-based milk Chia seeds Cacao powder Maple syrup Vanilla extract or paste Method: Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. If you prefer to eat the seeds whole, you can skip the blender and combine the ingredients...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Healthy Life.Ingredients: 2 salmon fillets, skin off 1 cup edamame beans, frozen and blanched 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced thinly 1 carrot, ribboned 1 avocado, diced 1/2 bunch spring onions, sliced 1 cup cooked brown...
Ingredients: 7 gm (1 sachet) dried yeast 360 gm plain flour 55 gm (¼ cup) caster sugar 150 ml lukewarm milk 40 gm softened butter 1 egg 250 gm milk chocolate, finely chopped 190 gm crème fraîche 70 ml pouring cream For deep-frying: vegetable oil 3-4 Tim Tams, coarsely...
Ingredients: 4 cups full cream milk 1/2 cup medium-grain rice 1 + 1/2 cups of water 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 cup caster sugar 2 tbs heaped tbsp cornflour 1 Vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste Traditional topping option Greek Cinnamon to dust the top Or Lotus Biscoff...
Ingredients: 1 very ripe banana (about 120g) 3 eggs, whisked 20g scoop vanilla plant-based protein powder 2 teaspoons of maple syrup 70g (1/2cup) quartered strawberries 1 tablespoon tapioca flour 1 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil Method: SERVES 1 Place your banana in...