Lingine with Figs, Cream and ChilliBen O'Donoghue
- 320gm fresh egg pasta
- 6 over ripe black figs
- 4 long red chillies grilled, peeled and deseeded
- 1/2 bunch of purple basil
- 1/2 bunch of green sweet basil
- 1 clove of garlic finely sliced
- Pinch of dried chilli
- 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of double cream
- 200gm block of Parmesan cheese to shave
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 lemon
1. Bring ample amounts of water to the boil and season with salt to cook the pasta
2. While the water boils, remove the stem from the fig and chop into quarters and then into eights.
3. Gently heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the garlic and lightly fry until sticky and just golden. Add a pinch of dried chilli and the chopped fig. Gently fry for about 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the cream and lower the heat and just simmer. Season with salt. Pepper and a squeeze of lemon. Add a few of each of the different basil leaves.
5. Drain the pasta of all its water and add to the sauce. Toss to combine and coat the pasta. Correct the seasoning and divide between four bowls.
6. Garnish with strips of the grilled chilli basil leaves and shavings of Parmesan cheese.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Wicks Estate Sauvignon Blanc 2019, Tomich Woodside Vineyard Grüner Veltliner 2018
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...