Mac and Cheese PaffleMike Reid
- 600ml Milk whole
- 125ml Thick cream
- 50g plain flour
- 50g butter salted
- 75g Gruyere cheese
- 100g Taleggio
- 50g mozzarella
- 300g Macaroni pasta
- 225g Plain Flour
- 100g Unsalted Butter, diced
- Pinch of Salt
Mac and Cheese:
- Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of salted, boiling water according to the packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, heat the butter until melted, then whisk in the flour until smooth and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until pale golden-brown.
- Whisk in the milk a little at a time, waiting until the mixture has thickened after each addition before adding any more and whisking continually. After all of the milk has been added to the mixture, you should have a smooth sauce finish with the thick cream.
- Add all of the cheese (except mozzarella) to the sauce and heat gently, stirring all the time, until it has melted. Season, to taste, with salt, freshly ground black pepper.
- Drain the cooked pasta and tip it into the pan containing the cheese sauce. Stir well to coat the pasta. Set aside.
- For the pasty, sift the flour into a large bowl, add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs
- Stir in the salt, then add 2-3 tbsp water and mix to a firm dough. Knead the dough briefly and gently on a floured surface. Wrap in cling film and chill while the filling is cooking
- Heat your jaffel (sandwich maker) machine
- Roll out 2 sheets of your pastry just enough to cover the jaffel machine. Spray the machine with cooking oil before laying over the first sheet, then add in your mac & chz filling before covering with another sheet
- Now simply toast and enjoy
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Merlot.
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...