Mac and Cheese PaffleMike Reid
- 600ml Milk whole
- 125ml Thick cream
- 50g plain flour
- 50g butter salted
- 75g Gruyere cheese
- 100g Taleggio
- 50g mozzarella
- 300g Macaroni pasta
- 225g Plain Flour
- 100g Unsalted Butter, diced
- Pinch of Salt
Mac and Cheese:
- Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of salted, boiling water according to the packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, heat the butter until melted, then whisk in the flour until smooth and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until pale golden-brown.
- Whisk in the milk a little at a time, waiting until the mixture has thickened after each addition before adding any more and whisking continually. After all of the milk has been added to the mixture, you should have a smooth sauce finish with the thick cream.
- Add all of the cheese (except mozzarella) to the sauce and heat gently, stirring all the time, until it has melted. Season, to taste, with salt, freshly ground black pepper.
- Drain the cooked pasta and tip it into the pan containing the cheese sauce. Stir well to coat the pasta. Set aside.
- For the pasty, sift the flour into a large bowl, add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs
- Stir in the salt, then add 2-3 tbsp water and mix to a firm dough. Knead the dough briefly and gently on a floured surface. Wrap in cling film and chill while the filling is cooking
- Heat your jaffel (sandwich maker) machine
- Roll out 2 sheets of your pastry just enough to cover the jaffel machine. Spray the machine with cooking oil before laying over the first sheet, then add in your mac & chz filling before covering with another sheet
- Now simply toast and enjoy
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Merlot.
Ingredients: 9 cherry tomatoes, halved 1 small garlic clove, thinly sliced 2 tsp good-quality olive oil 1 tsp balsamic vinegar 5 basil leaves, torn, plus a few extra to serve if you like 5 pitted olives, sliced 2 large free-range egg 1 tsp small capers, rinsed salt...
Ingredients: Leftover Spaghetti Bolognese Sliced white bread Mozzarella Smoked mozzarella Grated Parmesan Butter Olive oil Mayo Pesto Salt and pepper Method: Place a scoop of pasta on one side of the bread. Then grate up your 3 cheeses and place on the other side of...
Ingredients: 250g Walnuts 250g Hazelnuts 250g Macadamia nuts 125g Pumpkin seeds 125g Sunflower seeds 60g Butter, unsalted 2 Tbsp Honey, Mr Noons honeycomb 1 Tsp Cayenne pepper 2 Tbsp Rosemary, finely chopped 1 Tbsp Cognac Method: Preheat oven to 180* Prepare...
Client - That’s Amore Cheese Typically from Puglia, this fresh creamy cheese has gained more and more popularity in the past few years, not only in Italy but overseas. Burrata is a fresh, handmade cow's milk cheese made from mozzarella and cream and it can be used in...
Ingredients: 150g guanciale, diced 3 eggs, whisked 200g pecorino cheese, grated Black pepper Salt Method: Add salt to a pot of water, and bring to a boil. Cook your pasta until al dente. In a frying pan, add the guanciale on low heat and allow it to render out the...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...