Mac and Cheese PaffleMike Reid
- 600ml Milk whole
- 125ml Thick cream
- 50g plain flour
- 50g butter salted
- 75g Gruyere cheese
- 100g Taleggio
- 50g mozzarella
- 300g Macaroni pasta
- 225g Plain Flour
- 100g Unsalted Butter, diced
- Pinch of Salt
Mac and Cheese:
- Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of salted, boiling water according to the packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, heat the butter until melted, then whisk in the flour until smooth and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until pale golden-brown.
- Whisk in the milk a little at a time, waiting until the mixture has thickened after each addition before adding any more and whisking continually. After all of the milk has been added to the mixture, you should have a smooth sauce finish with the thick cream.
- Add all of the cheese (except mozzarella) to the sauce and heat gently, stirring all the time, until it has melted. Season, to taste, with salt, freshly ground black pepper.
- Drain the cooked pasta and tip it into the pan containing the cheese sauce. Stir well to coat the pasta. Set aside.
- For the pasty, sift the flour into a large bowl, add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs
- Stir in the salt, then add 2-3 tbsp water and mix to a firm dough. Knead the dough briefly and gently on a floured surface. Wrap in cling film and chill while the filling is cooking
- Heat your jaffel (sandwich maker) machine
- Roll out 2 sheets of your pastry just enough to cover the jaffel machine. Spray the machine with cooking oil before laying over the first sheet, then add in your mac & chz filling before covering with another sheet
- Now simply toast and enjoy
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Merlot.
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...