Mac and Cheese PaffleMike Reid
- 600ml Milk whole
- 125ml Thick cream
- 50g plain flour
- 50g butter salted
- 75g Gruyere cheese
- 100g Taleggio
- 50g mozzarella
- 300g Macaroni pasta
- 225g Plain Flour
- 100g Unsalted Butter, diced
- Pinch of Salt
Mac and Cheese:
- Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of salted, boiling water according to the packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, heat the butter until melted, then whisk in the flour until smooth and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until pale golden-brown.
- Whisk in the milk a little at a time, waiting until the mixture has thickened after each addition before adding any more and whisking continually. After all of the milk has been added to the mixture, you should have a smooth sauce finish with the thick cream.
- Add all of the cheese (except mozzarella) to the sauce and heat gently, stirring all the time, until it has melted. Season, to taste, with salt, freshly ground black pepper.
- Drain the cooked pasta and tip it into the pan containing the cheese sauce. Stir well to coat the pasta. Set aside.
- For the pasty, sift the flour into a large bowl, add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs
- Stir in the salt, then add 2-3 tbsp water and mix to a firm dough. Knead the dough briefly and gently on a floured surface. Wrap in cling film and chill while the filling is cooking
- Heat your jaffel (sandwich maker) machine
- Roll out 2 sheets of your pastry just enough to cover the jaffel machine. Spray the machine with cooking oil before laying over the first sheet, then add in your mac & chz filling before covering with another sheet
- Now simply toast and enjoy
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Merlot.
Ingredients: 500g fresh broad beans, in their pods 3–4 small fennel bulbs 250g frozen peas, thawed and rinsed 1 red onion, finely sliced 1 cup dill, finely chopped 1⁄2 bunch mint, finely chopped, plus extra whole leaves to garnish 1⁄2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Let's Go Motorhomes Romesco Sauce: 4 large red peppers 2 garlic cloves 150g ground almonds 100g sun-dried tomatoes in oil 100ml extra virgin olive oil 20ml apple cider vinegar 1 tbsp smoked paprika 1...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 1 cup Vegetable oil 4 eggs 3 lap cheong sausages, thinly sliced 2 Tbsp XO Sauce 100gm cherry tomatoes, halved ½ red onion, thinly sliced 1 green chilli, thinly sliced ½ cup coriander, roughly chopped Method: Heat oil in a wok over a...
Ingredients: ½ cup dried scallops ½ cup dried shrimp 300ml Shaoxing wine 6 long red chillies, roughly chopped 2 inch piece ginger, peeled, roughly chopped 1 head garlic (10-12 cloves), peeled, roughly chopped 2 large red shallots, roughly chopped 1 large rasher bacon,...
Ingredients: Filling: 1 bunch silverbeet, chopped finely 500g ricotta 1 egg 50g grated parmigiano cheese Sea salt Freshly cracked black pepper 1/3 nutmeg grated Sugo: 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 garlic clove, finely chopped 1 long red...
Ingredients: 100g butter 200g finely grated pecorino cheese Salt Black pepper, freshly ground Pasta Dough: 100g semolina flour 100g plain flour 80ml - 100ml water Pinch of salt Method: Make the pasta dough and allow it to rest for 20 minutes. Cut the dough into long...