Masala Lamb ShanksBen O'Donoghue
- 4 lamb shanks
- 300ml Massel Chicken Stock
- Ground turmeric 1 tbsp
- Root ginger 3cm piece, grated garlic 3 cloves, crushed sunflower oil
- Bay leaf 1
- Cinnamon stick 1
- Cloves 5
- Cardamom pods 6,
- Bashed onions 2, sliced
- Chopped tomatoes 400g tin
- Ground cumin 2 tsp
- Ground coriander 3tsp
- Green chillies 2, halved
- Coriander a large handful
- Desiccated coconut 50g
- Coriander seeds 3 tbsp poppy seeds 5 tbsp
- Fennel seeds 2 tbsp
- Black pepper 1 tbsp
- Red chillies 5
- If you have a pressure cooker it will speed up the initial cooking of the lamb shanks – they should be done in 20 minutes.
- This recipe will also work well with a whole or half leg of lamb, you’ll just need to cook it for a bit longer.
- Curries improve their flavour over 24 hours or so make this one day and serve it the next.
Put the lamb in a large pan with the turmeric, ginger, garlic and some salt. Add enough stock to cover and simmer gently for 11/2 hours or until tender.
- Meanwhile, grind the curry paste ingredients together in a spice grinder or pestle and mortar. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a deep frying pan and add the bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Fry until aromatic.
- Add the onion and fry until it starts to soften. Add the tomato and cook for 5 minutes, then add the cumin, coriander and green chillies and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the curry paste. Cook for 2 minutes then add the lamb shanks, some salt and enough of the cooking water to come halfway up the shanks. Cook for 20 minutes. Turn the shanks over several times, adding more water if the sauce gets too thick. Sprinkle with coriander.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...