Masala Lamb ShanksBen O'Donoghue
- 4 lamb shanks
- 300ml Massel Chicken Stock
- Ground turmeric 1 tbsp
- Root ginger 3cm piece, grated garlic 3 cloves, crushed sunflower oil
- Bay leaf 1
- Cinnamon stick 1
- Cloves 5
- Cardamom pods 6,
- Bashed onions 2, sliced
- Chopped tomatoes 400g tin
- Ground cumin 2 tsp
- Ground coriander 3tsp
- Green chillies 2, halved
- Coriander a large handful
- Desiccated coconut 50g
- Coriander seeds 3 tbsp poppy seeds 5 tbsp
- Fennel seeds 2 tbsp
- Black pepper 1 tbsp
- Red chillies 5
- If you have a pressure cooker it will speed up the initial cooking of the lamb shanks – they should be done in 20 minutes.
- This recipe will also work well with a whole or half leg of lamb, you’ll just need to cook it for a bit longer.
- Curries improve their flavour over 24 hours or so make this one day and serve it the next.
Put the lamb in a large pan with the turmeric, ginger, garlic and some salt. Add enough stock to cover and simmer gently for 11/2 hours or until tender.
- Meanwhile, grind the curry paste ingredients together in a spice grinder or pestle and mortar. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a deep frying pan and add the bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Fry until aromatic.
- Add the onion and fry until it starts to soften. Add the tomato and cook for 5 minutes, then add the cumin, coriander and green chillies and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the curry paste. Cook for 2 minutes then add the lamb shanks, some salt and enough of the cooking water to come halfway up the shanks. Cook for 20 minutes. Turn the shanks over several times, adding more water if the sauce gets too thick. Sprinkle with coriander.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...