Masala Lamb ShanksBen O'Donoghue
- 4 lamb shanks
- 300ml Massel Chicken Stock
- Ground turmeric 1 tbsp
- Root ginger 3cm piece, grated garlic 3 cloves, crushed sunflower oil
- Bay leaf 1
- Cinnamon stick 1
- Cloves 5
- Cardamom pods 6,
- Bashed onions 2, sliced
- Chopped tomatoes 400g tin
- Ground cumin 2 tsp
- Ground coriander 3tsp
- Green chillies 2, halved
- Coriander a large handful
- Desiccated coconut 50g
- Coriander seeds 3 tbsp poppy seeds 5 tbsp
- Fennel seeds 2 tbsp
- Black pepper 1 tbsp
- Red chillies 5
- If you have a pressure cooker it will speed up the initial cooking of the lamb shanks – they should be done in 20 minutes.
- This recipe will also work well with a whole or half leg of lamb, you’ll just need to cook it for a bit longer.
- Curries improve their flavour over 24 hours or so make this one day and serve it the next.
Put the lamb in a large pan with the turmeric, ginger, garlic and some salt. Add enough stock to cover and simmer gently for 11/2 hours or until tender.
- Meanwhile, grind the curry paste ingredients together in a spice grinder or pestle and mortar. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a deep frying pan and add the bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Fry until aromatic.
- Add the onion and fry until it starts to soften. Add the tomato and cook for 5 minutes, then add the cumin, coriander and green chillies and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the curry paste. Cook for 2 minutes then add the lamb shanks, some salt and enough of the cooking water to come halfway up the shanks. Cook for 20 minutes. Turn the shanks over several times, adding more water if the sauce gets too thick. Sprinkle with coriander.
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...