Masala Lamb ShanksBen O'Donoghue
- 4 lamb shanks
- 300ml Massel Chicken Stock
- Ground turmeric 1 tbsp
- Root ginger 3cm piece, grated garlic 3 cloves, crushed sunflower oil
- Bay leaf 1
- Cinnamon stick 1
- Cloves 5
- Cardamom pods 6,
- Bashed onions 2, sliced
- Chopped tomatoes 400g tin
- Ground cumin 2 tsp
- Ground coriander 3tsp
- Green chillies 2, halved
- Coriander a large handful
- Desiccated coconut 50g
- Coriander seeds 3 tbsp poppy seeds 5 tbsp
- Fennel seeds 2 tbsp
- Black pepper 1 tbsp
- Red chillies 5
- If you have a pressure cooker it will speed up the initial cooking of the lamb shanks – they should be done in 20 minutes.
- This recipe will also work well with a whole or half leg of lamb, you’ll just need to cook it for a bit longer.
- Curries improve their flavour over 24 hours or so make this one day and serve it the next.
Put the lamb in a large pan with the turmeric, ginger, garlic and some salt. Add enough stock to cover and simmer gently for 11/2 hours or until tender.
- Meanwhile, grind the curry paste ingredients together in a spice grinder or pestle and mortar. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a deep frying pan and add the bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Fry until aromatic.
- Add the onion and fry until it starts to soften. Add the tomato and cook for 5 minutes, then add the cumin, coriander and green chillies and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the curry paste. Cook for 2 minutes then add the lamb shanks, some salt and enough of the cooking water to come halfway up the shanks. Cook for 20 minutes. Turn the shanks over several times, adding more water if the sauce gets too thick. Sprinkle with coriander.
Ingredients: 1 1⁄2 kg round steak, cleaned and cut into cubes 3 cans of roma tomatoes, crushed by hand 1 onion, finely diced 2-3 cloves of garlic 1⁄2 cup of olive oil, plus an additional 2 tbsp 1tbsp red wine vinegar 1L water or chicken stock (optional) 1tbsp tomato...
Ingredients: 1.5 kg green beans 3 potatoes 1 can of crushed tomatoes 1 tbsp tomato paste 2 onions, chopped 1 cup of olive oil 3 cups of Massel stock 1 cup of parsley finely chopped 1 tbsp sweet paprika Salt Pepper Method: Slice the tops off the green beans and string...
Ingredients: 500gm macaroni pasta 1 cup diced tomato Cheese sauce 500g monterey jack cheese 500ml cream 500ml milk 160gm butter 100gm flour 500ml beer Chilli flakes Salt and pepper 3/4 cup bread crumbs 2 tbsp melted butter 2 spring onion finely sliced Method: Cheese...
Ingredients: Serves 4 Hummus 1 Australian beetroot 4 Australian chestnuts 1 tin chickpeas 2 tbsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Freshly squeezed juice from 1 ½ Australian lemons 1 clove Australian garlic 2 tbsp unhulled tahini ½ tsp cumin Pinch sea salt Cracked...
Ingredients: 4× 150g veal rib-eye steaks 4 cups cornflakes 100g parmesan, finely grated 1 cup plain flour 1 egg 200ml milk 100g butter 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sunflower oil 12 sage leaves 8 anchovy fillets Bunch of wild rocket, to garnish Salsa 1 large red capsicum 2 ripe...
Ingredients: Ribeye steak Salt Pepper 100g butter, softened 1 orange, zest 1 tsp thyme 50g hazelnuts, roasted 80g Blue cheese Method: Liberally season your steak with salt and pepper and cook to your liking, turning regularly. Rest for half of the cook time. Combine...