Pecan Golden Syrup TartBen O'Donoghue
- 31/4 cups (225g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 100g unsalted butter
- 11/4 cups (440g) golden syrup
- Grated zest of 1 orange, plus 3 tbsp juice
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup (150g) pecan nuts, halved
- Icing sugar and vanilla ice cream, to serve
- 12/3 cups (250g) plain flour
- 100g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- 2 egg yolks
- For pastry, pulse flour, butter and a pinch of salt in a processor, then whiz until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add sugar and yolks, then whiz until mixture forms a ball (add 1-2 tbsp cold water if needed).
- Knead on a lightly floured surface for 1-2 minutes until smooth, then enclose in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- grease a 24cm loose-bottomed tart pan.
- Grate chilled pastry over the pan and use clean hands to evenly press into base and sides (pastry with a high butter content can be hard to work with, and this is an easy method that doesn’t need a rolling pin) chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°c. Line pastry with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove weights and paper, then bake for a further 5 minutes or until the tart shell is light golden brown and the base is cooked. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, stir breadcrumbs, butter, syrup, zest, juice and nutmeg in a pan over low heat until butter is just melted and mixture is combined. (It’ll be slightly
- loose at first, but the bread will start to thicken the mixture) tip mixture into the tart shell and arrange nuts, cut-side down, in a concentric pattern on top.
- Bake for 25- 30 minutes until the filling is firm to touch in the centre. Cool for 15 minutes in the pan.
- Carefully remove the tart from the pan, then dust with icing sugar and serve warm or cold with ice cream.
Ingredients: 250g Plain Flour 250g Bread flour 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp sea salt 125g Butter, unsalted 125g Light brown sugar 125g Caster Sugar 1 large Egg 1 tsp vanilla extract 100g Dark chocolate block 100g White chocolate chips Method: Preheat oven to 180 degrees...
Ingredients: 150g raisins 100ml grappa 400g plain flour 10g yeast 115g sugar 2 eggs 150ml milk 30g toasted pine nuts Zest 1 orange Zest 1 lemon 50g chopped candied fruit Canola oil, for frying Method: Soak the raisins in grappa and let them plump up for 5 minutes,...
Ingredients: 600g assorted stone fruit* Extra virgin olive oil 1 lemon 1 vanilla bean 300g thick Greek yoghurt 2 tbsp floral honey 50g salted macadamia, coarsely chopped Method: Cut and drizzle fruit with olive oil and grill, cut sides down, until juicy and charred,...
Ingredients:Serves 2 4x scoops Ensure chocolate powder 1 cup milk ½ cup cream 1 tbsp. caster sugar 1 tbsp. cornflour 1 tbsp. cocoa powder, sifted 2 tbsp. boiling water 2 egg yolks Shaved dark chocolate and fresh berries to serve Method: Gently heat the milk and cream...
Ingredients: Serves 1 1 1⁄2 cups frozen mixed berries 3 teaspoons chia seeds 1 cup natural yoghurt 3 scoops Ensure Vanilla Powder 3 tablespoons oats 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1⁄2 kiwifruit, sliced (try keeping the skin on) 1 tablespoon dry roasted almonds, roughly...
Ingredients: 175g Oats 3 ripe bananas 1 egg 1 tbsp honey 1/2 tsp baking powder 3 tbsp almond butter 1 punnet of frozen blueberries Pinch of salt Method: 1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees2. Puree the bananas together in a mixing bowl, until a thick paste. Fold in the...