Pecan Golden Syrup TartBen O'Donoghue
- 31/4 cups (225g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 100g unsalted butter
- 11/4 cups (440g) golden syrup
- Grated zest of 1 orange, plus 3 tbsp juice
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup (150g) pecan nuts, halved
- Icing sugar and vanilla ice cream, to serve
- 12/3 cups (250g) plain flour
- 100g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- 2 egg yolks
- For pastry, pulse flour, butter and a pinch of salt in a processor, then whiz until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add sugar and yolks, then whiz until mixture forms a ball (add 1-2 tbsp cold water if needed).
- Knead on a lightly floured surface for 1-2 minutes until smooth, then enclose in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- grease a 24cm loose-bottomed tart pan.
- Grate chilled pastry over the pan and use clean hands to evenly press into base and sides (pastry with a high butter content can be hard to work with, and this is an easy method that doesn’t need a rolling pin) chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°c. Line pastry with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove weights and paper, then bake for a further 5 minutes or until the tart shell is light golden brown and the base is cooked. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, stir breadcrumbs, butter, syrup, zest, juice and nutmeg in a pan over low heat until butter is just melted and mixture is combined. (It’ll be slightly
- loose at first, but the bread will start to thicken the mixture) tip mixture into the tart shell and arrange nuts, cut-side down, in a concentric pattern on top.
- Bake for 25- 30 minutes until the filling is firm to touch in the centre. Cool for 15 minutes in the pan.
- Carefully remove the tart from the pan, then dust with icing sugar and serve warm or cold with ice cream.
Ingredients: Roasted bananas 300g Vanilla 1g Butter 112g Brown sugar 250g Eggs 100g Flour 275g Baking powder 10g Sea salt 5g Whipped Maple Butter Unsalted butter 250g Maple syrup 80g Sea salt 3g Method: Spread vanilla onto bananas, and roast in an oven at 180⁰c for 10...
Ingredients: 1 cup Laucke plain flour Pinch of salt 4 eggs 2 cups milk 40g butter crème fraîche Ricotta Filling 250 g smooth ricotta Finely grated zest of 1 lemon Honey, to taste Berry Sauce 2 cups frozen mixed berries 1 cup icing sugar To Serve Sprigs of mint,...
Ingredients: Smoothie 1 Australian papaya 2 Australian passion fruit Flesh of 1 Australian custard apple, seeds removed ½ Australian banana (use the other half for the topping) 2 tbsp coconut yoghurt Toppings 1 tbsp toasted coconut flakes ½ sliced Australian banana 2...
Ingredients: 1/3 cup Chia seeds 400 mls Coconut milk 3-5 tablespoons Pure maple syrup 1 tablespoon Pure vanilla extract 3 large Mangoes, peeled and diced 1 tablespoon Lime juice 1/4 Pineapple, peeled and diced 1 tablespoon Mint leaves or micro mint Freeze dried...
Ingredients: Flourless Orange Cake Oranges 3pcs Sugar 375g Ground cardamom 3g Cinnamon 1 large pinch Almond meal 450g Baking powder 7.5g Eggs 8 pcs Lemon Buttercream Eggs 110g Butter 500g Sugar 145g Water 40g Lemon juice 50g Method: Flourless Orange Cake Fill a pot...
Ingredients: Zest of ½ orange 200mls Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon ½ stick of gelatin OR 1 tsp cornflour mixed with 1 tsp of water 1 clove 1 teaspoon of caster sugar plus extra to taste 200gm black cherries fresh or frozen Method: Place all the ingredients except the...