Pecan Golden Syrup TartBen O'Donoghue
- 31/4 cups (225g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 100g unsalted butter
- 11/4 cups (440g) golden syrup
- Grated zest of 1 orange, plus 3 tbsp juice
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup (150g) pecan nuts, halved
- Icing sugar and vanilla ice cream, to serve
- 12/3 cups (250g) plain flour
- 100g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- 2 egg yolks
- For pastry, pulse flour, butter and a pinch of salt in a processor, then whiz until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add sugar and yolks, then whiz until mixture forms a ball (add 1-2 tbsp cold water if needed).
- Knead on a lightly floured surface for 1-2 minutes until smooth, then enclose in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- grease a 24cm loose-bottomed tart pan.
- Grate chilled pastry over the pan and use clean hands to evenly press into base and sides (pastry with a high butter content can be hard to work with, and this is an easy method that doesn’t need a rolling pin) chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°c. Line pastry with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove weights and paper, then bake for a further 5 minutes or until the tart shell is light golden brown and the base is cooked. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, stir breadcrumbs, butter, syrup, zest, juice and nutmeg in a pan over low heat until butter is just melted and mixture is combined. (It’ll be slightly
- loose at first, but the bread will start to thicken the mixture) tip mixture into the tart shell and arrange nuts, cut-side down, in a concentric pattern on top.
- Bake for 25- 30 minutes until the filling is firm to touch in the centre. Cool for 15 minutes in the pan.
- Carefully remove the tart from the pan, then dust with icing sugar and serve warm or cold with ice cream.
Ingredients: Makes 28 portions 12 eggs 800gm 900gm caster sugar 675gm 68% Madagascar chocolate 675gm-unsalted butter 225gm ground macadamia meal 225gm cocoa powder 300gm macadamia nuts Method: Preheat oven to 150 degrees Grease and line sponge tray with parchment...
Ingredients: 1 cup semolina 1 cup almonds, blanched, toasted and roughly chopped 2 cups self raising flour, sifted 2 tsp baking powder Rind of 1 lemon 6 eggs 250g butter at room temp Juice of 2 oranges 2 tbsp cognac or brandy 1 cup of caster. Sugar Shredded coconut as...
Ingredients: Makes 12 ¾ cup Australian almonds 1/3 cup rolled oats 2 tbsp cacao powder ½ tsp vanilla extract 12 medjool dates 3 tbsp cacao nibs 1 tbsp Australian almond oil Method: In a food processor blend ¼ cup of the almonds until they are crushed lightly but not...
Ingredients: Makes 2 small jars of jam and nut butter Jam ¼ cup fresh Australian raspberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blackberries ¼ cup fresh Australian strawberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blueberries ¼ cup fresh Australian red seedless grapes Splash Water ¼ cup chia...
Ingredients: Serves two 1/2 cup very cold vodka Juice of two limes 2 tablespoons sugar syrup 1/2 cup fresh raspberries 1/2 cup blueberries Approx 500ml sparkling water Ice Method: Bring together the vodka, lime juice, sugar syrup, raspberries, blueberries and...
Ingredients: 8 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla extract 3 cups white sugar 3 litres of milk Pinch of salt 120g butter 2 cups semolina 15 sheets of fillo pastry 150g butter melted (approx.) Icing sugar + cinnamon to serve Method: Separate egg yolks from whites Add vanilla...