Pecan Golden Syrup TartBen O'Donoghue
- 31/4 cups (225g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 100g unsalted butter
- 11/4 cups (440g) golden syrup
- Grated zest of 1 orange, plus 3 tbsp juice
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup (150g) pecan nuts, halved
- Icing sugar and vanilla ice cream, to serve
- 12/3 cups (250g) plain flour
- 100g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- 2 egg yolks
- For pastry, pulse flour, butter and a pinch of salt in a processor, then whiz until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add sugar and yolks, then whiz until mixture forms a ball (add 1-2 tbsp cold water if needed).
- Knead on a lightly floured surface for 1-2 minutes until smooth, then enclose in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- grease a 24cm loose-bottomed tart pan.
- Grate chilled pastry over the pan and use clean hands to evenly press into base and sides (pastry with a high butter content can be hard to work with, and this is an easy method that doesn’t need a rolling pin) chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°c. Line pastry with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove weights and paper, then bake for a further 5 minutes or until the tart shell is light golden brown and the base is cooked. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, stir breadcrumbs, butter, syrup, zest, juice and nutmeg in a pan over low heat until butter is just melted and mixture is combined. (It’ll be slightly
- loose at first, but the bread will start to thicken the mixture) tip mixture into the tart shell and arrange nuts, cut-side down, in a concentric pattern on top.
- Bake for 25- 30 minutes until the filling is firm to touch in the centre. Cool for 15 minutes in the pan.
- Carefully remove the tart from the pan, then dust with icing sugar and serve warm or cold with ice cream.
Ingredients: 185 g dates 1 cup water 60g butter 2 eggs 185g self raising flour 185g sugar 1tsp baking powder ½ tsp vanilla paste Butterscotch Sauce: 1 cup cream ¾ cup brown sugar 2 tbsp butter Pinch of salt Method: Bring the dates and water to a boil, then remove from...
Ingredients: 4 Lady Finger Bananas Woodchips for smoking in a fire or hibachi Dulce De Leche Creme: 2 Tbsp Dulce de leche 200ml Cream Chocolate Sauce: 150ml full-fat milk 150ml double cream 300g dark chocolate, broken into pieces 1 tsp vanilla extract To Serve: 1 tbsp...
Ingredients: 3 eggs, separated 6 tbsp caster sugar 500 g mascarpone cream 500ml espresso coffee 80ml marsala 500g savoiardi biscotti ( 1 large packet ) Dark chocolate, to grate Cocoa powder, to dust Method: Beat the egg yolks and half the sugar in a bowl for 5 minutes...
Ingredients: 1 pear, peeled and cored, diced 1 tsp ground cinnamon 125g unsalted butter ½ cup caster sugar 2 eggs 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking powder Salt Streusal Crumb: 40g unsalted butter, chilled, diced 1/3 cup plain flour 2 Tbsp caster sugar Salt Method:...
Ingredients: 2 eggs 1 cup sugar ¾ cup vegetable oil 1 tsp vanilla essence 2 cups grated carrot 1 ¼ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking soda 2-3 tsp cinnamon 2-3 tsp mixed spice ½ tsp salt Lime Cream Cheese: 200g cream cheese, room temperature 1 ½ cups icing sugar, sifted...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 ¼ cup Nutella 8 thick slices of brioche 3 eggs ¼ cup milk 1 vanilla bean, scraped 40g butter 2 lady finger bananas 2 Tablespoons caster sugar 160g unsalted butter ¼ cup pistachios, chopped ¼ cup maple syrup Edible flowers to garnish Ice cream to...