Pecan Golden Syrup TartBen O'Donoghue
- 31/4 cups (225g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 100g unsalted butter
- 11/4 cups (440g) golden syrup
- Grated zest of 1 orange, plus 3 tbsp juice
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup (150g) pecan nuts, halved
- Icing sugar and vanilla ice cream, to serve
- 12/3 cups (250g) plain flour
- 100g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- 2 egg yolks
- For pastry, pulse flour, butter and a pinch of salt in a processor, then whiz until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add sugar and yolks, then whiz until mixture forms a ball (add 1-2 tbsp cold water if needed).
- Knead on a lightly floured surface for 1-2 minutes until smooth, then enclose in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- grease a 24cm loose-bottomed tart pan.
- Grate chilled pastry over the pan and use clean hands to evenly press into base and sides (pastry with a high butter content can be hard to work with, and this is an easy method that doesn’t need a rolling pin) chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°c. Line pastry with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove weights and paper, then bake for a further 5 minutes or until the tart shell is light golden brown and the base is cooked. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, stir breadcrumbs, butter, syrup, zest, juice and nutmeg in a pan over low heat until butter is just melted and mixture is combined. (It’ll be slightly
- loose at first, but the bread will start to thicken the mixture) tip mixture into the tart shell and arrange nuts, cut-side down, in a concentric pattern on top.
- Bake for 25- 30 minutes until the filling is firm to touch in the centre. Cool for 15 minutes in the pan.
- Carefully remove the tart from the pan, then dust with icing sugar and serve warm or cold with ice cream.
Ingredients: Plant-based milk Chia seeds Cacao powder Maple syrup Vanilla extract or paste Method: Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. If you prefer to eat the seeds whole, you can skip the blender and combine the ingredients...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Healthy Life.Ingredients: 2 salmon fillets, skin off 1 cup edamame beans, frozen and blanched 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced thinly 1 carrot, ribboned 1 avocado, diced 1/2 bunch spring onions, sliced 1 cup cooked brown...
Ingredients: 7 gm (1 sachet) dried yeast 360 gm plain flour 55 gm (¼ cup) caster sugar 150 ml lukewarm milk 40 gm softened butter 1 egg 250 gm milk chocolate, finely chopped 190 gm crème fraîche 70 ml pouring cream For deep-frying: vegetable oil 3-4 Tim Tams, coarsely...
Ingredients: 4 cups full cream milk 1/2 cup medium-grain rice 1 + 1/2 cups of water 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 cup caster sugar 2 tbs heaped tbsp cornflour 1 Vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste Traditional topping option Greek Cinnamon to dust the top Or Lotus Biscoff...
Ingredients: 1 very ripe banana (about 120g) 3 eggs, whisked 20g scoop vanilla plant-based protein powder 2 teaspoons of maple syrup 70g (1/2cup) quartered strawberries 1 tablespoon tapioca flour 1 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil Method: SERVES 1 Place your banana in...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Healthy Life. Ingredients: 2 Bananas 300g of raw Cashews (unsalted & unroasted) 6 - 8 Pitted Dates 2 tablespoons of Cinnamon powder 2 tablespoons of Raw cacao powder Cacao Nibs Pinch of Salt Method: In a food...