Penne AmatricianaBen O'Donoghue
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g thinly sliced pancetta or smoked streaky bacon, cut into strips
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 2 small dried chilies, finely chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) dry red wine
- 800g good-quality canned chopped tomatoes
- 400g linguine or other dried long pasta
- Finely grated Parmesan, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until it starts to become crisp.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the onion and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until the onion is soft – this is what the italians refer to as the soffritto, or flavour base. add the dried chilli and garlic and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the red wine, increase the heat to medium and cook for 5-7 minutes until the liquid has reduced almost completely. add the canned tomatoes
- Cook over low heat, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes until the sauce is very thick. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil – always cook your pasta in plenty of water. Add the linguine or other pasta, stirring to prevent it from sticking together, then cook according to packet instructions (until al dente). drain.
- Add pasta to the pan with the sauce and toss to coat, adding a liberal grinding of fresh black pepper to add great aroma as well as flavour. divide among 4 bowls and serve topped with parmesan.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...