Penne AmatricianaBen O'Donoghue
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g thinly sliced pancetta or smoked streaky bacon, cut into strips
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 2 small dried chilies, finely chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) dry red wine
- 800g good-quality canned chopped tomatoes
- 400g linguine or other dried long pasta
- Finely grated Parmesan, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until it starts to become crisp.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the onion and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until the onion is soft – this is what the italians refer to as the soffritto, or flavour base. add the dried chilli and garlic and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the red wine, increase the heat to medium and cook for 5-7 minutes until the liquid has reduced almost completely. add the canned tomatoes
- Cook over low heat, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes until the sauce is very thick. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil – always cook your pasta in plenty of water. Add the linguine or other pasta, stirring to prevent it from sticking together, then cook according to packet instructions (until al dente). drain.
- Add pasta to the pan with the sauce and toss to coat, adding a liberal grinding of fresh black pepper to add great aroma as well as flavour. divide among 4 bowls and serve topped with parmesan.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...