Penne AmatricianaBen O'Donoghue
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g thinly sliced pancetta or smoked streaky bacon, cut into strips
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 2 small dried chilies, finely chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) dry red wine
- 800g good-quality canned chopped tomatoes
- 400g linguine or other dried long pasta
- Finely grated Parmesan, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until it starts to become crisp.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the onion and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until the onion is soft – this is what the italians refer to as the soffritto, or flavour base. add the dried chilli and garlic and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the red wine, increase the heat to medium and cook for 5-7 minutes until the liquid has reduced almost completely. add the canned tomatoes
- Cook over low heat, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes until the sauce is very thick. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil – always cook your pasta in plenty of water. Add the linguine or other pasta, stirring to prevent it from sticking together, then cook according to packet instructions (until al dente). drain.
- Add pasta to the pan with the sauce and toss to coat, adding a liberal grinding of fresh black pepper to add great aroma as well as flavour. divide among 4 bowls and serve topped with parmesan.
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...