Pickled GherkinsLaura Sharrad
- 1 kg Gherkins
- ¼ cup non-iodized salt
- 2 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pickling spice (combination of your favourite pickling spices, such as mustard seeds, allspice berries, red pepper flakes, bay leaves, cloves, black peppercorns, cinnamon sticks)
- Fresh sprigs of dill (one per jar)
- Wash gherkins, rub off spikey bits and pat dry. Trim at both ends. Place in a clean bowl & sinkle with salt and store in a cool place until the salt has liquidized (a few hours)
- When you are ready to go, bring to the boil water & vinegar.
- Rinse the gherkins with boiling water, drain and rinse again. Put the gherkins into a hot sterilised jars, add pickling spice and fresh dill
- Fill the jars almost to the top with water/vinegar liquid and run a knife around the inside of the jar to get rid of any air bubbles.
- Top the jar with liquid until it is just overflowing and ensure that all the gherkins are covered.
- Using a cloth, tightly screw on the lids
- They will be ready in about 3 weeks, put the jar in drive for a few hours to cool before eating.
Ingredients: 300ml milk, plus extra 7g sachet of dried yeast 25g white caster sugar 50g shortening or lard 425g plain flour, plus extra 20g polenta, optional Unsalted butter Method: Gently warm the milk in a pan until lukewarm or body temperature, 37ºC. Add the yeast...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Ingredients: 1 medium cauliflower, leaves and stalk trimmed, cut into wedges 400g can lentils, drained and rinsed 1 small white onion, thinly sliced Juice of 1/2 lemon 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin...
Ingredients:For Dough: 500g plain flour 190g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes ½ tsp salt 60ml warm water 1 egg, at room temperature and whisked For Filling: 600g smoked ham, diced 200g mozzarella, diced 200g cheddar, diced 200g brown onion, diced 80g...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Massel Ingredients: 500g gnocchi 2 potatoes, diced 1 clove of garlic, chopped 1 tsp dried chillies 1 leek, sliced 2 rosemary sprigs 100g pancetta, rind removed and diced 500ml Massel Veg Stock Method:...
Ingredients: 1 head cauliflower, cut into pieces 1 green banana chilli, sliced 1 bunch mint, picked 1 cup Indian style yoghurt Pinch of sea salt flakes ½ tsp garam masala powder ¼ tsp dry mango powder ¼ tsp fenugreek powder Vegetable oil for frying Method: Fry...
Ingredients: 500g good quality spaghettini Table salt (for pasta water) 8 birdseye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped ½ bunch flat leaf parsley, washed and chopped finely, stem and leaf 250ml olive oil Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste A...