Pickled GherkinsLaura Sharrad
- 1 kg Gherkins
- ¼ cup non-iodized salt
- 2 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pickling spice (combination of your favourite pickling spices, such as mustard seeds, allspice berries, red pepper flakes, bay leaves, cloves, black peppercorns, cinnamon sticks)
- Fresh sprigs of dill (one per jar)
- Wash gherkins, rub off spikey bits and pat dry. Trim at both ends. Place in a clean bowl & sinkle with salt and store in a cool place until the salt has liquidized (a few hours)
- When you are ready to go, bring to the boil water & vinegar.
- Rinse the gherkins with boiling water, drain and rinse again. Put the gherkins into a hot sterilised jars, add pickling spice and fresh dill
- Fill the jars almost to the top with water/vinegar liquid and run a knife around the inside of the jar to get rid of any air bubbles.
- Top the jar with liquid until it is just overflowing and ensure that all the gherkins are covered.
- Using a cloth, tightly screw on the lids
- They will be ready in about 3 weeks, put the jar in drive for a few hours to cool before eating.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...