Pickled GherkinsLaura Sharrad
- 1 kg Gherkins
- ¼ cup non-iodized salt
- 2 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pickling spice (combination of your favourite pickling spices, such as mustard seeds, allspice berries, red pepper flakes, bay leaves, cloves, black peppercorns, cinnamon sticks)
- Fresh sprigs of dill (one per jar)
- Wash gherkins, rub off spikey bits and pat dry. Trim at both ends. Place in a clean bowl & sinkle with salt and store in a cool place until the salt has liquidized (a few hours)
- When you are ready to go, bring to the boil water & vinegar.
- Rinse the gherkins with boiling water, drain and rinse again. Put the gherkins into a hot sterilised jars, add pickling spice and fresh dill
- Fill the jars almost to the top with water/vinegar liquid and run a knife around the inside of the jar to get rid of any air bubbles.
- Top the jar with liquid until it is just overflowing and ensure that all the gherkins are covered.
- Using a cloth, tightly screw on the lids
- They will be ready in about 3 weeks, put the jar in drive for a few hours to cool before eating.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...