Ricotta Gnocchi, Prawns, Peas and TomatoesDan Szwarc
- 300g ricotta cheese (firm)
- 3 whole eggs
- 100g grated parmesan cheese
- Nutmeg (freshly ground)
- 300g Plain flour 0000 plus some for dusting
- 2 large round tomatoes
- 100g fresh peas or frozen peas
- 10 large cooked king prawns
- 1 lemon
- 50g unsalted butter
- 100 ml cooking cream
- Toasted bread crumbs for garnish (Panko cooked in butter)
- Place the ricotta, grated parmesan cheese, and eggs into a bowl and using a wooden spatula mix until combined
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper
- Start adding the flour in small batches. Based on the texture and add more or less flour
- Work until a dough has formed but don’t over work it
- Roll into long strips and then cut to desire length
- Sprinkle flour onto them and let them rest until ready to cook
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add salt ( don’t be shy )
- Once the water is boiling add the tomatoes (previously scored) and cook them for 10 seconds or until you see the skin peeling away
- Take them from the water and place them onto an ice bath to shock them and to be able to peel them with ease
- Peel the tomatoes, remove the seeds and cut into small squares (concasse) put aside
- Peel the prawns, clean the tails and cut them in small pieces and put aside
- Heat up a large pan, add the butter and once it starts foaming add the prawns, followed by the tomatoes and the peas
- Place the gnocchi onto the boiling water and cook until they raise to the surface
- Remove from the water straight into the prawn sauce
- Zest the lemon, add the cream and season to taste
- Serve and sprinkle with toasted breadcrumbs for a crunchy texture
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Fiano.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...