Ricotta Gnocchi, Prawns, Peas and TomatoesDan Szwarc
- 300g ricotta cheese (firm)
- 3 whole eggs
- 100g grated parmesan cheese
- Nutmeg (freshly ground)
- 300g Plain flour 0000 plus some for dusting
- 2 large round tomatoes
- 100g fresh peas or frozen peas
- 10 large cooked king prawns
- 1 lemon
- 50g unsalted butter
- 100 ml cooking cream
- Toasted bread crumbs for garnish (Panko cooked in butter)
- Place the ricotta, grated parmesan cheese, and eggs into a bowl and using a wooden spatula mix until combined
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper
- Start adding the flour in small batches. Based on the texture and add more or less flour
- Work until a dough has formed but don’t over work it
- Roll into long strips and then cut to desire length
- Sprinkle flour onto them and let them rest until ready to cook
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add salt ( don’t be shy )
- Once the water is boiling add the tomatoes (previously scored) and cook them for 10 seconds or until you see the skin peeling away
- Take them from the water and place them onto an ice bath to shock them and to be able to peel them with ease
- Peel the tomatoes, remove the seeds and cut into small squares (concasse) put aside
- Peel the prawns, clean the tails and cut them in small pieces and put aside
- Heat up a large pan, add the butter and once it starts foaming add the prawns, followed by the tomatoes and the peas
- Place the gnocchi onto the boiling water and cook until they raise to the surface
- Remove from the water straight into the prawn sauce
- Zest the lemon, add the cream and season to taste
- Serve and sprinkle with toasted breadcrumbs for a crunchy texture
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Fiano.
Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Vegemite and Cheese Scrolls
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Laura’s Mum’s Meatball Pasta
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Crispy Chilli Oil
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...
Special Fried Rice
Ingredients: 60 ml (¼ cup) peanut oil 4 green king prawns, peeled, cleaned and roughly chopped 2 eggs, lightly beaten 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 2 tsp finely chopped ginger 150 gm Chinese-style barbecue pork char siu roughly chopped 555 gm (3 cups) cooked rice 1...