Ricotta Hotcakes with Mandarin SyrupMatt Sinclair
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 250g fresh ricotta
- Oil or butter
- 100g flaked almonds, lightly toasted
- 150ml mandarin juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 60g butter
- 4 mandarins, peeled, sliced crossways into 5mm thick rounds
- Add the mandarin and lemon juice with the sugar into a small saucepan and place over a low-medium heat. Bring to a light simmer and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add in half of the butter and whisk it through, before adding the rest and whisk to combine. Simmer for about 4-5 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Add in the mandarin rounds and lightly coat in the syrup. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, buttermilk, egg yolks and ricotta and mix well to combine. In another bowl, whisk or beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Carefully fold half of the egg whites through the batter, followed by the remaining half.
- Place a non-stick frypan over a medium heat and grease with a little oil or butter. Pour in about 3 or 4 large spoonfuls of batter into the pan (about 1/3 cup each) and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until small bubbles begin to appear around the edges. Flip them over and cook for another minute until golden brown. Transfer to a waiting plate and repeat with the remaining batter.
- To serve, stack 2 or 3 hotcakes on each plate, top with a dollop of yoghurt, drizzle with the mandarin syrup and fruit and garnish with the flaked almonds. Serve immediately.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Moscato.
Ingredients: Serves: 4 ¼ cup Nutella 8 thick slices of brioche 3 eggs ¼ cup milk 1 vanilla bean, scraped 40g butter 2 lady finger bananas 2 Tablespoons caster sugar 160g unsalted butter ¼ cup pistachios, chopped ¼ cup maple syrup Edible flowers to garnish Ice cream to...
Ingredients: 2 ¼ cups plain flour, sifted 1 ½ tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt ½ cup brown sugar ½ cup caster sugar 60gm unsalted butter, melted, cooled 3 eggs, room temperature 100gm flaked almonds, lightly toasted Chai Spice Mix: 1 tsp ground ginger 1 tsp ground...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 125gm unsalted butter, softened 100gm caster sugar Zest of 2 oranges Zest of 1 lemon 200gm self-raising flour 1 tsp baking powder 20gm poppyseeds 2 eggs 140ml milk Rum Custard: 125ml milk 125ml thickened cream 3 large egg yolks 3 Tbsp caster...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Big 4 300g Blueberries frozen 300g Apples 1 small orange, juice only 2 tbsp soft brown sugar For the cobbler topping 175g (white or wholemeal) 100g unsalted butter, softened 25g/1oz porridge oats 50g...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 cups shiraz 1 cup water 2 cups sugar 10 cloves 2 cinnamon sticks 4 small – medium ripe pears Ricotta & Blue Cheese Cream: 500g ricotta 4 tbsp honey (see notes) 50g blue cheese (see notes) Zest of ½ lemon Finely chopped pistachios (see...
Ingredients: A little butter, for greasing your tray 5 tablespoons sugar for lining your tray 2 ripe Riverland plums sliced into wedges For The Batter: 65g Blanched almond meal 20g Flour plain 160g Caster sugar 3 Whole free range eggs 4 Free range egg yolks 310g Pure...