Ricotta Hotcakes with Mandarin SyrupMatt Sinclair
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 250g fresh ricotta
- Oil or butter
- 100g flaked almonds, lightly toasted
- 150ml mandarin juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 60g butter
- 4 mandarins, peeled, sliced crossways into 5mm thick rounds
- Add the mandarin and lemon juice with the sugar into a small saucepan and place over a low-medium heat. Bring to a light simmer and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add in half of the butter and whisk it through, before adding the rest and whisk to combine. Simmer for about 4-5 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Add in the mandarin rounds and lightly coat in the syrup. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, buttermilk, egg yolks and ricotta and mix well to combine. In another bowl, whisk or beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Carefully fold half of the egg whites through the batter, followed by the remaining half.
- Place a non-stick frypan over a medium heat and grease with a little oil or butter. Pour in about 3 or 4 large spoonfuls of batter into the pan (about 1/3 cup each) and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until small bubbles begin to appear around the edges. Flip them over and cook for another minute until golden brown. Transfer to a waiting plate and repeat with the remaining batter.
- To serve, stack 2 or 3 hotcakes on each plate, top with a dollop of yoghurt, drizzle with the mandarin syrup and fruit and garnish with the flaked almonds. Serve immediately.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Moscato.
Ingredients: 185 g dates 1 cup water 60g butter 2 eggs 185g self raising flour 185g sugar 1tsp baking powder ½ tsp vanilla paste Butterscotch Sauce: 1 cup cream ¾ cup brown sugar 2 tbsp butter Pinch of salt Method: Bring the dates and water to a boil, then remove from...
Ingredients: 4 Lady Finger Bananas Woodchips for smoking in a fire or hibachi Dulce De Leche Creme: 2 Tbsp Dulce de leche 200ml Cream Chocolate Sauce: 150ml full-fat milk 150ml double cream 300g dark chocolate, broken into pieces 1 tsp vanilla extract To Serve: 1 tbsp...
Ingredients: 3 eggs, separated 6 tbsp caster sugar 500 g mascarpone cream 500ml espresso coffee 80ml marsala 500g savoiardi biscotti ( 1 large packet ) Dark chocolate, to grate Cocoa powder, to dust Method: Beat the egg yolks and half the sugar in a bowl for 5 minutes...
Ingredients: 1 pear, peeled and cored, diced 1 tsp ground cinnamon 125g unsalted butter ½ cup caster sugar 2 eggs 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking powder Salt Streusal Crumb: 40g unsalted butter, chilled, diced 1/3 cup plain flour 2 Tbsp caster sugar Salt Method:...
Ingredients: 2 eggs 1 cup sugar ¾ cup vegetable oil 1 tsp vanilla essence 2 cups grated carrot 1 ¼ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking soda 2-3 tsp cinnamon 2-3 tsp mixed spice ½ tsp salt Lime Cream Cheese: 200g cream cheese, room temperature 1 ½ cups icing sugar, sifted...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 ¼ cup Nutella 8 thick slices of brioche 3 eggs ¼ cup milk 1 vanilla bean, scraped 40g butter 2 lady finger bananas 2 Tablespoons caster sugar 160g unsalted butter ¼ cup pistachios, chopped ¼ cup maple syrup Edible flowers to garnish Ice cream to...