Ricotta Hotcakes with Mandarin SyrupMatt Sinclair
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 250g fresh ricotta
- Oil or butter
- 100g flaked almonds, lightly toasted
- 150ml mandarin juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 60g butter
- 4 mandarins, peeled, sliced crossways into 5mm thick rounds
- Add the mandarin and lemon juice with the sugar into a small saucepan and place over a low-medium heat. Bring to a light simmer and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add in half of the butter and whisk it through, before adding the rest and whisk to combine. Simmer for about 4-5 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Add in the mandarin rounds and lightly coat in the syrup. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, buttermilk, egg yolks and ricotta and mix well to combine. In another bowl, whisk or beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Carefully fold half of the egg whites through the batter, followed by the remaining half.
- Place a non-stick frypan over a medium heat and grease with a little oil or butter. Pour in about 3 or 4 large spoonfuls of batter into the pan (about 1/3 cup each) and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until small bubbles begin to appear around the edges. Flip them over and cook for another minute until golden brown. Transfer to a waiting plate and repeat with the remaining batter.
- To serve, stack 2 or 3 hotcakes on each plate, top with a dollop of yoghurt, drizzle with the mandarin syrup and fruit and garnish with the flaked almonds. Serve immediately.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Moscato.
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at JC’s Quality Foods Ingredients: 1 ½ cups raw cashews 1 ½ desiccated coconut 3 medium ripe bananas, peeled and chopped 10 fresh dates, pitted 2 tsp vanilla extract ⅓ cup raw cacao powder ½ tsp bicarbonate of...
Ingredients: 500g unsalted room temp butter + extra for greasing 250g self-raising flour + extra for dusting 250g golden caster sugar 5 large free-range eggs 100ml milk ½ tsp vanilla extract ½ tp baking powder 250g quality dark chocolate (70%) 100g icing sugar 300g...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at JC’s Quality Foods Ingredients: 2 cups (300g) Buckwheat flour 1 ½ cups almond meal 1 tsp ground cinnamon ½ tsp sea salt flakes ¾ cup maple syrup ½ cup vegetable oil ⅓ cup raspberry jam Method: Preheat the...
Ingredients: Oil, for frying For the Pastry: 250g plain white flour 90g cornflour 70g caster sugar 3g sea salt 70g cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces 10ml cider vinegar 120g water For the Filling: 4 Granny Smiths apples, peeled, cored & roughly chopped 65g...
Ingredients:Makes 12 donuts Oil, for frying For the Dough: 1 cup lukewarm milk 1 tbsp dried yeast 1/3 cup caster sugar 3 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla paste 4 tbsp soft butter 4 1/4 cups plain flour For the Custard: 1/2 cup sugar 3 tbsp cornflour 2 cups milk 4 yolks 2 tsps...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 200g plain flour 100 caster sugar 200ml milk, full fat 1 whole egg 1 egg yolk 50g butter Icing sugar, for dusting For Bananas: 75g caster sugar 30g butter, salted Banana...