Roast Chook with FigsKhanh Ong
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 2 chicken marylands
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder salt to season
- 50g piece of chopped pancetta
- 1 red onion cut into wedges
- 50g dried figs
- 3 figs halved
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup of chicken stock
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 50g goats cheese
- Heat oil in a tray fit for the oven over high heat, coat the chicken with 2 sprigs of thyme, garlic powder and salt then brown for 3 minutes each side or until golden. transfer to plate.
- Add pancetta, red onion and dried figs to the tray and cook on medium for 5 minutes or until pancetta is crisp, remove to plate.
- Sprinkle the cut side of the figs with sugar and place cut side down on a pan and cook for about 30 seconds until the sugar caramelises. transfer to plate.
- Add wine to deglaze pan then stock and vinegar, once the the liquids are reduced by 1⁄2
- Return to a tray the chicken, pancetta, onions, dried figs, caramelised figs and a sprinkle of thyme over and place in an oven for 30-35 minutes at 180C.
- Serve with thyme and fresh goats cheese.
Our friends at Wine Selectors recommend pairing this dish with a Sauvignon Blanc and Tomich, Gruner Veltliner.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...