Roast Chook with FigsKhanh Ong
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 2 chicken marylands
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder salt to season
- 50g piece of chopped pancetta
- 1 red onion cut into wedges
- 50g dried figs
- 3 figs halved
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup of chicken stock
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 50g goats cheese
- Heat oil in a tray fit for the oven over high heat, coat the chicken with 2 sprigs of thyme, garlic powder and salt then brown for 3 minutes each side or until golden. transfer to plate.
- Add pancetta, red onion and dried figs to the tray and cook on medium for 5 minutes or until pancetta is crisp, remove to plate.
- Sprinkle the cut side of the figs with sugar and place cut side down on a pan and cook for about 30 seconds until the sugar caramelises. transfer to plate.
- Add wine to deglaze pan then stock and vinegar, once the the liquids are reduced by 1⁄2
- Return to a tray the chicken, pancetta, onions, dried figs, caramelised figs and a sprinkle of thyme over and place in an oven for 30-35 minutes at 180C.
- Serve with thyme and fresh goats cheese.
Our friends at Wine Selectors recommend pairing this dish with a Sauvignon Blanc and Tomich, Gruner Veltliner.
Ingredients: 4 duck breast 1 tablspoon brown sugar ½ tablespoon salt ¼ bunch thyme 1 tsp five spice butter garlic Sauce 1/3 cup sugar 1/3 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 to 2 oranges) segments of one orange 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar 1/8 teaspoon salt 2 to 4...
Ingredients: Serve 4 4 thick King salmon or Atlantic salmon Vegetable oil Lime wedges Marinade 2 pinches of salt 2 teaspoons chilli powder juice of 1 lime 1 teaspoon sugar 2 teaspoons garlic paste 2 teaspoons ginger paste Crust 180g white split peas (urad dal) 1...
Ingredients: Mornay Sauce 25gm unsalted butter 25gm Laucke plain flour 1 cup full cream milk 80gm Gruyere cheese grated Salt White pepper For the Sandwich Four thick slices white bread 100gm unsalted butter 2 tsp Dijon mustard 4 slices Gruyere cheese (80gm) 200gm...
Ingredients: 500g kangaroo sirloin cut into thin strips 2 tablespoons cornflour 2 tablespoon sunflower oil for frying 2 green capsicums – cut into strips 2 bunch of broccolini – bottom end removed and cut in half 1 bunch green onions – green and whites finely chopped...
Ingredients: Makes Two 4 rounds or Rye bread slices 300gm sliced pastrami 100gm sauerkraut 200gm comte cheese or cheddar 2 large garlic and dill pickles cut in half 4 tbsp kewpie mayo 1 tbsp hot English mustard 100gm butter soft Method: Combine the hot English mustard...
Ingredients: Serves 4 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 4 eggs separated 1 cup butter milk 1 cup ricotta 1 cup corn frozen 1 small bunch coriander leaves chopped 1 lg smashed avo 200gm chopped tomatoes 1/4 medium red onion sliced 1 clove of garlic chopped...