Roast Chook with FigsKhanh Ong
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 2 chicken marylands
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder salt to season
- 50g piece of chopped pancetta
- 1 red onion cut into wedges
- 50g dried figs
- 3 figs halved
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup of chicken stock
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 50g goats cheese
- Heat oil in a tray fit for the oven over high heat, coat the chicken with 2 sprigs of thyme, garlic powder and salt then brown for 3 minutes each side or until golden. transfer to plate.
- Add pancetta, red onion and dried figs to the tray and cook on medium for 5 minutes or until pancetta is crisp, remove to plate.
- Sprinkle the cut side of the figs with sugar and place cut side down on a pan and cook for about 30 seconds until the sugar caramelises. transfer to plate.
- Add wine to deglaze pan then stock and vinegar, once the the liquids are reduced by 1⁄2
- Return to a tray the chicken, pancetta, onions, dried figs, caramelised figs and a sprinkle of thyme over and place in an oven for 30-35 minutes at 180C.
- Serve with thyme and fresh goats cheese.
Our friends at Wine Selectors recommend pairing this dish with a Sauvignon Blanc and Tomich, Gruner Veltliner.
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 1x 2 kg lamb shoulder, easy-carve or shoulder blade removed 12 prunes, pitted 2 large sprigs of rosemary, broken and leaves removed 2 tablespoons olive oil 100 g butter 1 onion, chopped 1 celery heart, chopped 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced 2 fresh or...
Ingredients: Serves 4 8 Moreton Bay bugs 200g thinly sliced dried pancetta 8 bay leaves 4 ripe figs, halved 2 tablespoons olive oil Juice of 1 lemon Method: Prepare your barbecue for direct grilling over a high heat. Prepare the bugs by removing the meat from the...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Teaspoon coconut sugar 6 freshly picked mint leaves Approx 500ml SodaStream Carbonated Water 10-15 assorted fresh berries One lime, halved Ice Method: Start by bringing together the coconut sugar and the mint in a food processor or alternatively...
Ingredients: Serves: 3 2 cup water 3 tbsp Valcom Tom Yum Paste 1 cup button mushrooms, halved 300g chicken fillet, sliced 1⁄4 cup TCC Premium Coconut Milk 4 tbsp Valcom Kaffir Lime Leaves 1 stalk coriander coarsely chopped 1 red chilli, cut diagonally Method: Bring...