Salmon Caviar and CucumberMike Reid
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Velisha Farms
- ½ Whole cucumber
- ½ Lime juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ Cucumber peeled, into ribbons
- 3 Tbsp Pickling liquid (see other recipes)
- 100g Capers Surfine, drained
- 50g Butter, salted
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juiced
For the Tartar:
- 200g Wild Tasmanian Salmon, fillet
- 3 Tbsp Bouniroste capers
- 5g Caviar
- 2 ribbons pickled Cucumber
- 2 ribbons raw cucumber
- 1 Tsp organic Creme Fraiche
- Cucumber flowers, to garnish
- Viola Flowers, to garnish
- Juice the cucumber in your juicer, whole with skin on
- Add your half a juiced lime to the liquid and store in the fridge until needed. Use on the day of making for it to taste at its best
- Heat your pan over a medium heat, add your butter and then add your capers. Sautee them for about 3 minutes making sure you keep the capers moving every half a minute. Just before you take them off add a squeeze of lemon to the butter and cook out for about 30 seconds
- Once done take them off the stove and drain on a cloth
For the Tartar:
- Add your Salmon to the bowl, then dot your lemon creme fraiche around it
- Add your two different types of cucumber ribbons to the plate next followed by capers, caviar and flowers
- Serve with the cucumber Consommé on the side
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Grenache Shiraz Mataro.
Ingredients: 9 cherry tomatoes, halved 1 small garlic clove, thinly sliced 2 tsp good-quality olive oil 1 tsp balsamic vinegar 5 basil leaves, torn, plus a few extra to serve if you like 5 pitted olives, sliced 2 large free-range egg 1 tsp small capers, rinsed salt...
Ingredients: Leftover Spaghetti Bolognese Sliced white bread Mozzarella Smoked mozzarella Grated Parmesan Butter Olive oil Mayo Pesto Salt and pepper Method: Place a scoop of pasta on one side of the bread. Then grate up your 3 cheeses and place on the other side of...
Ingredients: 250g Walnuts 250g Hazelnuts 250g Macadamia nuts 125g Pumpkin seeds 125g Sunflower seeds 60g Butter, unsalted 2 Tbsp Honey, Mr Noons honeycomb 1 Tsp Cayenne pepper 2 Tbsp Rosemary, finely chopped 1 Tbsp Cognac Method: Preheat oven to 180* Prepare...
Client - That’s Amore Cheese Typically from Puglia, this fresh creamy cheese has gained more and more popularity in the past few years, not only in Italy but overseas. Burrata is a fresh, handmade cow's milk cheese made from mozzarella and cream and it can be used in...
Ingredients: 150g guanciale, diced 3 eggs, whisked 200g pecorino cheese, grated Black pepper Salt Method: Add salt to a pot of water, and bring to a boil. Cook your pasta until al dente. In a frying pan, add the guanciale on low heat and allow it to render out the...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...