Salmon Caviar and CucumberMike Reid
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Velisha Farms
- ½ Whole cucumber
- ½ Lime juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ Cucumber peeled, into ribbons
- 3 Tbsp Pickling liquid (see other recipes)
- 100g Capers Surfine, drained
- 50g Butter, salted
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juiced
For the Tartar:
- 200g Wild Tasmanian Salmon, fillet
- 3 Tbsp Bouniroste capers
- 5g Caviar
- 2 ribbons pickled Cucumber
- 2 ribbons raw cucumber
- 1 Tsp organic Creme Fraiche
- Cucumber flowers, to garnish
- Viola Flowers, to garnish
- Juice the cucumber in your juicer, whole with skin on
- Add your half a juiced lime to the liquid and store in the fridge until needed. Use on the day of making for it to taste at its best
- Heat your pan over a medium heat, add your butter and then add your capers. Sautee them for about 3 minutes making sure you keep the capers moving every half a minute. Just before you take them off add a squeeze of lemon to the butter and cook out for about 30 seconds
- Once done take them off the stove and drain on a cloth
For the Tartar:
- Add your Salmon to the bowl, then dot your lemon creme fraiche around it
- Add your two different types of cucumber ribbons to the plate next followed by capers, caviar and flowers
- Serve with the cucumber Consommé on the side
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Grenache Shiraz Mataro.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...