Salt Baked White Fish with Lemon Mayonnaise
- 1 whole white fish, gutted and scaled
- 400g Egg white
- 2k table Salt
- 1 sprig Rosemary
- 3 Thyme
- ½ Lemon, zest
- ½ pink grapefruit, zest
- For Lemon Mayo:
- 50ml Early harvest Olive oil
- 1 lemon, cut in half, juiced
- 2 free-range egg yolks
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 200ml rapeseed oil or light olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 200c.
- Whisk up your egg whites until they hold a soft peak. Fold in your salt a little at a time until it looks like wet sand. Add in your zest.
- Place your fish on a baking tray and stuff the cavity with the herbs. Then cover the fish in the salt mixture.
- Place your fish in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes, ensuring it’s cooked all the way through.
- Take out a break of the salt crust and leave to rest.
- Prepare your mayonnaise; Blend the egg yolks, vinegar and mustard into a food processor, then squeeze in the juice from one of the charred lemons and blend until well combined. While the motor is running, gradually add the oil. Continue until all the oil has been added and the mayonnaise has thickened.
Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper