Sicilian Veal MeatballsTobie Puttock
- 50g fresh homemade breadcrumbs
- 50ml milk
- 250g-ground pork
- 250g-ground veal
- Good handful of freshly grated pecorino
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 teaspoons of fennel seeds
- Small handful of freshly picked marjoram
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 40 small or 20 large lemon leaves
- Pop the breadcrumbs and the milk into a mixing bowl and allow to sit for a few moments.
- While the breadcrumbs are soaking, toast the fennel seeds in a dry pan for a minute or so or until you can smell the aromas. Remove right away and grind in a mortar and pestle, add the marjoram and the garlic along with a pinch of salt and grind to a paste.
- Add the marjoram and garlic mixture to the bowl with the bread and now add the pork, veal, pecorino and the lemon zest and use your hands to mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Shape the mixture into patties the size of golf balls, flattening them slightly. Place a lemon leaf on each side of each pattie or if you are using larger leaves you can wrap one around both sides of a pattie, you may need a toothpick to secure it.
- Cook the meatballs over a pre-heated BBQ for a couple of minutes on each side and serve.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Grenache.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...