Spaghetti and MeatballsSimone Austin
- 1kg beef mince
- 1 medium brown onion, grated
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 scoops Glucerna powder
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, halved, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 x 410g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef or vegetable liquid stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 x 500g packet dried spaghetti
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh continental parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded fresh basil
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Combine the mince, onion, breadcrumbs, Glucerna powder, garlic and egg in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Use your hands to mix until combined. Roll 1 heaped tablespoonful of mince mixture into a ball and place on prepared tray. Repeat with the remaining mince mixture.
- Heat ½ tablespoon of oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add one-third of the meatballs and cook, turning, for 8 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Repeat, in batches, adding oil as needed between batches.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add in the tomato, tomato paste and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the meat balls and cook gently for 10 minutes or until meat balls are heated through and sauce thickens.
- Cook the pasta and drain.
- Add the basil, parsley, salt and pepper to taste to the sauce. Serve the pasta in bowl and top with the meat ball and sauce.
For more details on Glucerna, go to glucerna.com.au
- A favourite in my household is spaghetti and meatballs. You could make these with beef mince like we will today, or you could try pork, chicken or even kangaroo mince which I often do at home and they are always a winner.
Ingredients: Serves 4 8 Moreton Bay bugs 200g thinly sliced dried pancetta 8 bay leaves 4 ripe figs, halved 2 tablespoons olive oil Juice of 1 lemon Method: Prepare your barbecue for direct grilling over a high heat. Prepare the bugs by removing the meat from the...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Teaspoon coconut sugar 6 freshly picked mint leaves Approx 500ml SodaStream Carbonated Water 10-15 assorted fresh berries One lime, halved Ice Method: Start by bringing together the coconut sugar and the mint in a food processor or alternatively...
Ingredients: Serves: 3 2 cup water 3 tbsp Valcom Tom Yum Paste 1 cup button mushrooms, halved 300g chicken fillet, sliced 1⁄4 cup TCC Premium Coconut Milk 4 tbsp Valcom Kaffir Lime Leaves 1 stalk coriander coarsely chopped 1 red chilli, cut diagonally Method: Bring...
Ingredients: Serves 4 2 medium eggplant 2 tablespoons of olive oil ½ cup miso paste 4 tablespoons mirin 2 tablespoons sugar 2 tablespoons sake White sesame seeds for garnish Method: Preheat the oven to 220C. Slice the eggplants in half and carefully score the eggplant...
Ingredients: Serves 4-6 1tbsp whole white peppercorns 2tbsp grated fresh turmeric 1 heaped tbsp grated fresh ginger 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 5 thinly sliced cloves Juice of 2 limes, plus wedges to serve 5 coriander roots (from a fresh bunch) 1kg Ling, scaled,...