Spaghetti and MeatballsSimone Austin
- 1kg beef mince
- 1 medium brown onion, grated
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 scoops Glucerna powder
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, halved, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 x 410g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef or vegetable liquid stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 x 500g packet dried spaghetti
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh continental parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded fresh basil
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Combine the mince, onion, breadcrumbs, Glucerna powder, garlic and egg in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Use your hands to mix until combined. Roll 1 heaped tablespoonful of mince mixture into a ball and place on prepared tray. Repeat with the remaining mince mixture.
- Heat ½ tablespoon of oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add one-third of the meatballs and cook, turning, for 8 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Repeat, in batches, adding oil as needed between batches.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add in the tomato, tomato paste and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the meat balls and cook gently for 10 minutes or until meat balls are heated through and sauce thickens.
- Cook the pasta and drain.
- Add the basil, parsley, salt and pepper to taste to the sauce. Serve the pasta in bowl and top with the meat ball and sauce.
For more details on Glucerna, go to glucerna.com.au
- A favourite in my household is spaghetti and meatballs. You could make these with beef mince like we will today, or you could try pork, chicken or even kangaroo mince which I often do at home and they are always a winner.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...