Spaghetti and MeatballsSimone Austin
- 1kg beef mince
- 1 medium brown onion, grated
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 scoops Glucerna powder
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, halved, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 x 410g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef or vegetable liquid stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 x 500g packet dried spaghetti
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh continental parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded fresh basil
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Combine the mince, onion, breadcrumbs, Glucerna powder, garlic and egg in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Use your hands to mix until combined. Roll 1 heaped tablespoonful of mince mixture into a ball and place on prepared tray. Repeat with the remaining mince mixture.
- Heat ½ tablespoon of oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add one-third of the meatballs and cook, turning, for 8 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Repeat, in batches, adding oil as needed between batches.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add in the tomato, tomato paste and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the meat balls and cook gently for 10 minutes or until meat balls are heated through and sauce thickens.
- Cook the pasta and drain.
- Add the basil, parsley, salt and pepper to taste to the sauce. Serve the pasta in bowl and top with the meat ball and sauce.
For more details on Glucerna, go to glucerna.com.au
- A favourite in my household is spaghetti and meatballs. You could make these with beef mince like we will today, or you could try pork, chicken or even kangaroo mince which I often do at home and they are always a winner.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...