Sri Lankan Tuna Pan RollsKaren Chan
Serves: 8 pieces
- 8 sheets spring roll wrappers (available in the frozen section of supermarkets or Asian grocer)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Oil for shallow frying
- 185g Safcol Tuna in Springwater, drained
- 2 hard-boiled eggs – cut to cubes
- 1 medium potato, boiled, peeled and cubed
- 1 small green chili, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tbs of your favourite curry powder, mixed with 4 tbs water to form a paste
- 1tbs oil
- Handful of chopped fresh coriander
- Salt to taste
- In a hot pan, add oil and then the onions, garlic and ginger and fry until golden brown.
- Add curry powder paste and fry for another minute, before adding tuna, eggs, potatoes, green chilies and coriander. Stir to coat well. Season with salt. Set aside to cool completely and divide to 8 portions.
- Lay out a spring roll wrapper, so that 1 corner is facing you, and the opposite corner faces away from you.
- Spoon a portion of the filling onto the centre of the wrapper. Shape the filling into a thin, horizontal 10 cm log.
- Lift the bottom corner of the wrapper over to meet the opposite corner. Bring both side corners to the centre. Roll the bottom (where the filling sits) towards the top. Brush the top corner with beaten egg and then roll to seal. Set aside and proceed with the remaining filling and wrappers.
- Heat a skillet with 2 cm deep oil on low to medium heat.
- Dip each roll in beaten egg and then coat with breadcrumbs. Repeat with a second coat of egg and another coat of breadcrumbs. Gently place into the hot oil and fry on all sides until golden brown.
- Serve as a snack or a light lunch.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...
Ingredients: 185 g dates 1 cup water 60g butter 2 eggs 185g self raising flour 185g sugar 1tsp baking powder ½ tsp vanilla paste Butterscotch Sauce: 1 cup cream ¾ cup brown sugar 2 tbsp butter Pinch of salt Method: Bring the dates and water to a boil, then remove from...
Ingredients: 4 Lady Finger Bananas Woodchips for smoking in a fire or hibachi Dulce De Leche Creme: 2 Tbsp Dulce de leche 200ml Cream Chocolate Sauce: 150ml full-fat milk 150ml double cream 300g dark chocolate, broken into pieces 1 tsp vanilla extract To Serve: 1 tbsp...
Ingredients: 3 eggs, separated 6 tbsp caster sugar 500 g mascarpone cream 500ml espresso coffee 80ml marsala 500g savoiardi biscotti ( 1 large packet ) Dark chocolate, to grate Cocoa powder, to dust Method: Beat the egg yolks and half the sugar in a bowl for 5 minutes...
Ingredients: 1 pear, peeled and cored, diced 1 tsp ground cinnamon 125g unsalted butter ½ cup caster sugar 2 eggs 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking powder Salt Streusal Crumb: 40g unsalted butter, chilled, diced 1/3 cup plain flour 2 Tbsp caster sugar Salt Method:...
Ingredients: 2 eggs 1 cup sugar ¾ cup vegetable oil 1 tsp vanilla essence 2 cups grated carrot 1 ¼ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking soda 2-3 tsp cinnamon 2-3 tsp mixed spice ½ tsp salt Lime Cream Cheese: 200g cream cheese, room temperature 1 ½ cups icing sugar, sifted...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 ¼ cup Nutella 8 thick slices of brioche 3 eggs ¼ cup milk 1 vanilla bean, scraped 40g butter 2 lady finger bananas 2 Tablespoons caster sugar 160g unsalted butter ¼ cup pistachios, chopped ¼ cup maple syrup Edible flowers to garnish Ice cream to...