Sticky Date PuddingBen O'Donoghue
- 200g fresh or dried pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 300ml boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 150g (2/3 cup) sugar
- 50g butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 170g plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 185ml (3/4 cup) pouring (whipping) cream
- 150g (3/4 cup) soft brown sugar
- 50g butter
- Preheat the oven 180ºC (350ºF)
- Put the dates, bicarbonate of soda and boiling water into a bowl and set aside. Put the butter and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat together for 2 minutes, or until pale and creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix to combine, then add the flour, baking powder and date mixture
- Spoon the mixture into flexible silicon muffin trays and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until risen and cooked through — when a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean, the puddings are done
- Meanwhile, make the butterscotch sauce. Put all of the ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until the butter has melted and the sugar is dissolved.
- Continue to simmer for a further 2–3 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm until ready to serve. Any leftover butterscotch sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week
This timeless recipe makes great individual little puddings that can be served as a dessert or can be frozen for lunch boxes at work or school. You can substitute dried figs instead of the dates if you like. Butterscotch sauce is the traditional accompaniment, but if you want a healthier alternative they taste just as nice with a dollop of plain yoghurt and fresh passionfruit.
Tim Tam Donuts
Ingredients: 7 gm (1 sachet) dried yeast 360 gm plain flour 55 gm (¼ cup) caster sugar 150 ml lukewarm milk 40 gm softened butter 1 egg 250 gm milk chocolate, finely chopped 190 gm crème fraîche 70 ml pouring cream For deep-frying: vegetable oil 3-4 Tim Tams, coarsely...
Rizogalo – Greek Rice Pudding
Ingredients: 4 cups full cream milk 1/2 cup medium-grain rice 1 + 1/2 cups of water 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 cup caster sugar 2 tbs heaped tbsp cornflour 1 Vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste Traditional topping option Greek Cinnamon to dust the top Or Lotus Biscoff...
Sticky Strawberry Protein Pancakes
Ingredients: 1 very ripe banana (about 120g) 3 eggs, whisked 20g scoop vanilla plant-based protein powder 2 teaspoons of maple syrup 70g (1/2cup) quartered strawberries 1 tablespoon tapioca flour 1 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil Method: SERVES 1 Place your banana in...
Raw Banana Slice
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Healthy Life. Ingredients: 2 Bananas 300g of raw Cashews (unsalted & unroasted) 6 - 8 Pitted Dates 2 tablespoons of Cinnamon powder 2 tablespoons of Raw cacao powder Cacao Nibs Pinch of Salt Method: In a food...
Papoutsakia “Little Slippers”
Ingredients: 4 eggplants, halved lengthwise 500 grams of canned or fresh tomatoes, peeled seeded and chopped 500 grams of minced beef 3 spring onions, finely sliced 1 onion, grated 4 cloves of garlic 1 cup (120 grams) of grated kefalotiri (a hard Greek cheese used in...
Ingredients: 400 gm plain flour 10 gm dried yeast 50 gm caster sugar, plus extra to dust 150 ml milk, warmed 80 ml pouring cream 50 gm butter, grated 1 egg, beaten Pinch of ground cinnamon For deep-frying: vegetable oil 300 gm frozen raspberries 150 gm caster sugar...