Sticky Date PuddingBen O'Donoghue
- 200g fresh or dried pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 300ml boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 150g (2/3 cup) sugar
- 50g butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 170g plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 185ml (3/4 cup) pouring (whipping) cream
- 150g (3/4 cup) soft brown sugar
- 50g butter
- Preheat the oven 180ºC (350ºF)
- Put the dates, bicarbonate of soda and boiling water into a bowl and set aside. Put the butter and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat together for 2 minutes, or until pale and creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix to combine, then add the flour, baking powder and date mixture
- Spoon the mixture into flexible silicon muffin trays and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until risen and cooked through — when a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean, the puddings are done
- Meanwhile, make the butterscotch sauce. Put all of the ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until the butter has melted and the sugar is dissolved.
- Continue to simmer for a further 2–3 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm until ready to serve. Any leftover butterscotch sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week
This timeless recipe makes great individual little puddings that can be served as a dessert or can be frozen for lunch boxes at work or school. You can substitute dried figs instead of the dates if you like. Butterscotch sauce is the traditional accompaniment, but if you want a healthier alternative they taste just as nice with a dollop of plain yoghurt and fresh passionfruit.
Ingredients:BASE 3 Egg Yolks 1/2 cup Caster Sugar 125g soft butter 2 cups Self-Raising flour 1 cup orange juice Vanilla TOPPING 3 egg whites 1/2 cup caster sugar 1 cup desiccated coconut Method: Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add yolks and vanilla. Fold in the...
Ingredients: Plant-based milk Chia seeds Cacao powder Maple syrup Vanilla extract or paste Method: Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. If you prefer to eat the seeds whole, you can skip the blender and combine the ingredients...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Healthy Life.Ingredients: 2 salmon fillets, skin off 1 cup edamame beans, frozen and blanched 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced thinly 1 carrot, ribboned 1 avocado, diced 1/2 bunch spring onions, sliced 1 cup cooked brown...
Ingredients: 7 gm (1 sachet) dried yeast 360 gm plain flour 55 gm (¼ cup) caster sugar 150 ml lukewarm milk 40 gm softened butter 1 egg 250 gm milk chocolate, finely chopped 190 gm crème fraîche 70 ml pouring cream For deep-frying: vegetable oil 3-4 Tim Tams, coarsely...
Ingredients: 4 cups full cream milk 1/2 cup medium-grain rice 1 + 1/2 cups of water 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 cup caster sugar 2 tbs heaped tbsp cornflour 1 Vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste Traditional topping option Greek Cinnamon to dust the top Or Lotus Biscoff...
Ingredients: 1 very ripe banana (about 120g) 3 eggs, whisked 20g scoop vanilla plant-based protein powder 2 teaspoons of maple syrup 70g (1/2cup) quartered strawberries 1 tablespoon tapioca flour 1 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil Method: SERVES 1 Place your banana in...