Sticky Date PuddingBen O'Donoghue
- 200g fresh or dried pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 300ml boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 150g (2/3 cup) sugar
- 50g butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 170g plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 185ml (3/4 cup) pouring (whipping) cream
- 150g (3/4 cup) soft brown sugar
- 50g butter
- Preheat the oven 180ºC (350ºF)
- Put the dates, bicarbonate of soda and boiling water into a bowl and set aside. Put the butter and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat together for 2 minutes, or until pale and creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix to combine, then add the flour, baking powder and date mixture
- Spoon the mixture into flexible silicon muffin trays and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until risen and cooked through — when a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean, the puddings are done
- Meanwhile, make the butterscotch sauce. Put all of the ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until the butter has melted and the sugar is dissolved.
- Continue to simmer for a further 2–3 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm until ready to serve. Any leftover butterscotch sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week
This timeless recipe makes great individual little puddings that can be served as a dessert or can be frozen for lunch boxes at work or school. You can substitute dried figs instead of the dates if you like. Butterscotch sauce is the traditional accompaniment, but if you want a healthier alternative they taste just as nice with a dollop of plain yoghurt and fresh passionfruit.
Ingredients: Makes 28 portions 12 eggs 800gm 900gm caster sugar 675gm 68% Madagascar chocolate 675gm-unsalted butter 225gm ground macadamia meal 225gm cocoa powder 300gm macadamia nuts Method: Preheat oven to 150 degrees Grease and line sponge tray with parchment...
Ingredients: 1 cup semolina 1 cup almonds, blanched, toasted and roughly chopped 2 cups self raising flour, sifted 2 tsp baking powder Rind of 1 lemon 6 eggs 250g butter at room temp Juice of 2 oranges 2 tbsp cognac or brandy 1 cup of caster. Sugar Shredded coconut as...
Ingredients: Makes 12 ¾ cup Australian almonds 1/3 cup rolled oats 2 tbsp cacao powder ½ tsp vanilla extract 12 medjool dates 3 tbsp cacao nibs 1 tbsp Australian almond oil Method: In a food processor blend ¼ cup of the almonds until they are crushed lightly but not...
Ingredients: Makes 2 small jars of jam and nut butter Jam ¼ cup fresh Australian raspberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blackberries ¼ cup fresh Australian strawberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blueberries ¼ cup fresh Australian red seedless grapes Splash Water ¼ cup chia...
Ingredients: Serves two 1/2 cup very cold vodka Juice of two limes 2 tablespoons sugar syrup 1/2 cup fresh raspberries 1/2 cup blueberries Approx 500ml sparkling water Ice Method: Bring together the vodka, lime juice, sugar syrup, raspberries, blueberries and...
Ingredients: 8 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla extract 3 cups white sugar 3 litres of milk Pinch of salt 120g butter 2 cups semolina 15 sheets of fillo pastry 150g butter melted (approx.) Icing sugar + cinnamon to serve Method: Separate egg yolks from whites Add vanilla...