Sticky Date PuddingBen O'Donoghue
- 200g fresh or dried pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 300ml boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 150g (2/3 cup) sugar
- 50g butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 170g plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 185ml (3/4 cup) pouring (whipping) cream
- 150g (3/4 cup) soft brown sugar
- 50g butter
- Preheat the oven 180ºC (350ºF)
- Put the dates, bicarbonate of soda and boiling water into a bowl and set aside. Put the butter and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat together for 2 minutes, or until pale and creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix to combine, then add the flour, baking powder and date mixture
- Spoon the mixture into flexible silicon muffin trays and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until risen and cooked through — when a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean, the puddings are done
- Meanwhile, make the butterscotch sauce. Put all of the ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until the butter has melted and the sugar is dissolved.
- Continue to simmer for a further 2–3 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm until ready to serve. Any leftover butterscotch sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week
This timeless recipe makes great individual little puddings that can be served as a dessert or can be frozen for lunch boxes at work or school. You can substitute dried figs instead of the dates if you like. Butterscotch sauce is the traditional accompaniment, but if you want a healthier alternative they taste just as nice with a dollop of plain yoghurt and fresh passionfruit.
Ingredients: Serves 2 Flesh of 1 ripe Australian avocado 6 Medjool dates, pitted ¼ cup cacao powder ½ tsp vanilla extract Pinch sea salt To serve ¼ cup fresh Australian raspberries 1 tsp cacao nibs (optional) 1 sprig of fresh Australian mint Method: Place all...
Ingredients: Serves 2 2 passionfruit 1 lime, halved 1 tablespoon coconut sugar Approx 500ml sparkling water Ice Method: Distribute the brown sugar and lime juice between your serving glasses along with the pulp of a passionfruit per glass. Fill the glass with ice and...
Ingredients: Roasted bananas 300g Vanilla 1g Butter 112g Brown sugar 250g Eggs 100g Flour 275g Baking powder 10g Sea salt 5g Whipped Maple Butter Unsalted butter 250g Maple syrup 80g Sea salt 3g Method: Spread vanilla onto bananas, and roast in an oven at 180⁰c for 10...
Ingredients: 1 cup Laucke plain flour Pinch of salt 4 eggs 2 cups milk 40g butter crème fraîche Ricotta Filling 250 g smooth ricotta Finely grated zest of 1 lemon Honey, to taste Berry Sauce 2 cups frozen mixed berries 1 cup icing sugar To Serve Sprigs of mint,...
Ingredients: Smoothie 1 Australian papaya 2 Australian passion fruit Flesh of 1 Australian custard apple, seeds removed ½ Australian banana (use the other half for the topping) 2 tbsp coconut yoghurt Toppings 1 tbsp toasted coconut flakes ½ sliced Australian banana 2...
Ingredients: 31/4 cups (225g) fresh breadcrumbs 100g unsalted butter 11/4 cups (440g) golden syrup Grated zest of 1 orange, plus 3 tbsp juice Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg 1 cup (150g) pecan nuts, halved Icing sugar and vanilla ice cream, to serve Sweet pastry 12/3...