Summer PuddingBen O'Donoghue
- Large bowl or glass pudding dish
- 50g caster sugar
- 50ml water
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 500ml (2 cups) fruity light red wine (grenache)
- 600g mixed summer fruit frozen (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 loaf sliced white bread, crusts removed
- Sprinkle the sugar into a heavy-based saucepan. Pour the water over and stir to make a paste. Cook to a light golden caramel.
- Add the scraped vanilla bean and seeds, black pepper and wine, and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes, until reduced by half. Remove from the heat and gently stir in the fruit. Leave to stand until cold, then add the basil.
- Line a glass bowl evenly with the bread slices, overlapping them so there are no gaps.
- Fill the lined bowl with your cooled berry compote, then cover the top with overlapping slices of bread. Cover with plastic wrap and place a plate on top to weigh the pudding down; the plate should be the same diameter as the pudding, but slightly smaller than the bowl. Refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve, turn the pudding out onto a large serving plate, or serve it straight from the bowl.
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients: Makes 28 portions 12 eggs 800gm 900gm caster sugar 675gm 68% Madagascar chocolate 675gm-unsalted butter 225gm ground macadamia meal 225gm cocoa powder 300gm macadamia nuts Method: Preheat oven to 150 degrees Grease and line sponge tray with parchment...
Ingredients: 1 cup semolina 1 cup almonds, blanched, toasted and roughly chopped 2 cups self raising flour, sifted 2 tsp baking powder Rind of 1 lemon 6 eggs 250g butter at room temp Juice of 2 oranges 2 tbsp cognac or brandy 1 cup of caster. Sugar Shredded coconut as...
Ingredients: Makes 12 ¾ cup Australian almonds 1/3 cup rolled oats 2 tbsp cacao powder ½ tsp vanilla extract 12 medjool dates 3 tbsp cacao nibs 1 tbsp Australian almond oil Method: In a food processor blend ¼ cup of the almonds until they are crushed lightly but not...
Ingredients: Makes 2 small jars of jam and nut butter Jam ¼ cup fresh Australian raspberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blackberries ¼ cup fresh Australian strawberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blueberries ¼ cup fresh Australian red seedless grapes Splash Water ¼ cup chia...
Ingredients: Serves two 1/2 cup very cold vodka Juice of two limes 2 tablespoons sugar syrup 1/2 cup fresh raspberries 1/2 cup blueberries Approx 500ml sparkling water Ice Method: Bring together the vodka, lime juice, sugar syrup, raspberries, blueberries and...
Ingredients: 8 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla extract 3 cups white sugar 3 litres of milk Pinch of salt 120g butter 2 cups semolina 15 sheets of fillo pastry 150g butter melted (approx.) Icing sugar + cinnamon to serve Method: Separate egg yolks from whites Add vanilla...