Szechuan Mussels and EggplantKaren Chan
- 105g Safcol Chilean Mussels in Spanish Escabeche sauce
- Oil for frying
- 250g eggplant, cut to 2cm cubes
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 2 slices ginger, minced
- ½ tsp Szechuan peppercorns
- 1tbs preserved soybean paste or miso
- 1tbs Chinese cooking wine
- ½ tsp Chinese black vinegar
- 1tsp dark soy
- 1tbs sugar
- ½ sesame oil
- ½ tsp 5 spice
- Salt to taste
- Toasted sesame seeds
- In a hot pan, drizzle some oil and pan fry eggplant until slightly caramelised. Set aside for later.
- To the same pan, add ginger and garlic to fry until fragrant. Add peppercorns and soybean paste and fry for a minute.
- Gently pour in the wine and then add vinegar, dark soy, sugar, sesame oil, 5 spice and Mussels in sauce and bring it to a boil.
- Add prepared eggplant and stir to combine and cook for another minute.
- Season to taste.
- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and serve with piping hot rice for a light meal or as a complementary dish at a main meal
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...