Tangy Fish Laksa (Laksa Kedah)Karen Chan
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Asian Inspirations
- 300g Barramundi fillet
- 4 tbsp Valcom Laksa Paste
- 4 slices fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 750 ml water
- 400ml TCC Premium Coconut Cream
- 1-2 tbsp Squid Brand Fish Sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 hard boiled eggs, halved
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 red chillies, sliced
- Half cucumber, julienned
- 3-4 butter lettuce leaves, cut to 1cm strips
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 bunch fresh Vietnamese mint
- 5-6 fresh Kaffir Lime leaves
- 2 slices fresh pineapple, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 200g rice vermicelli
- In a pot bring the water to boil and gently lower fish into the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to gently simmer for 10 minutes.
- While fish is poaching, in a mortar and pestle, crush ginger and garlic to a rough paste.
- Heat a 2-Litre capacity pot. Add the laksa paste, and then ginger-garlic paste. Fry paste for 1 min until aromatic, then add 3 kaffir lime leaves, and 2 stalks of Vietnamese mint and fry for another minute.
- By this time the fish should be cooked, remove and set aside. Add the stock into the pot with the paste. Bring this to a boil and let it simmer bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and sugar.
- With 2 forks, gently break up the fish to smaller chunks.
- Prepare the vermicelli per cooking instructions on packaging. Drain and distribute between 2-3 bowls.
- Ladle the laksa soup onto the noodles.
- Garnish with fish, eggs, pineapple, lettuce, cucumber, chillies and top with finely sliced herbs.
- Lastly, drizzle 2-3 tbsp coconut cream per bowl.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Verdelho.
Ingredients: 500g fresh broad beans, in their pods 3–4 small fennel bulbs 250g frozen peas, thawed and rinsed 1 red onion, finely sliced 1 cup dill, finely chopped 1⁄2 bunch mint, finely chopped, plus extra whole leaves to garnish 1⁄2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Let's Go Motorhomes Romesco Sauce: 4 large red peppers 2 garlic cloves 150g ground almonds 100g sun-dried tomatoes in oil 100ml extra virgin olive oil 20ml apple cider vinegar 1 tbsp smoked paprika 1...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 1 cup Vegetable oil 4 eggs 3 lap cheong sausages, thinly sliced 2 Tbsp XO Sauce 100gm cherry tomatoes, halved ½ red onion, thinly sliced 1 green chilli, thinly sliced ½ cup coriander, roughly chopped Method: Heat oil in a wok over a...
Ingredients: ½ cup dried scallops ½ cup dried shrimp 300ml Shaoxing wine 6 long red chillies, roughly chopped 2 inch piece ginger, peeled, roughly chopped 1 head garlic (10-12 cloves), peeled, roughly chopped 2 large red shallots, roughly chopped 1 large rasher bacon,...
Ingredients: Filling: 1 bunch silverbeet, chopped finely 500g ricotta 1 egg 50g grated parmigiano cheese Sea salt Freshly cracked black pepper 1/3 nutmeg grated Sugo: 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 garlic clove, finely chopped 1 long red...
Ingredients: 100g butter 200g finely grated pecorino cheese Salt Black pepper, freshly ground Pasta Dough: 100g semolina flour 100g plain flour 80ml - 100ml water Pinch of salt Method: Make the pasta dough and allow it to rest for 20 minutes. Cut the dough into long...