Tangy Fish Laksa (Laksa Kedah)Karen Chan
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Asian Inspirations
- 300g Barramundi fillet
- 4 tbsp Valcom Laksa Paste
- 4 slices fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 750 ml water
- 400ml TCC Premium Coconut Cream
- 1-2 tbsp Squid Brand Fish Sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 hard boiled eggs, halved
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 red chillies, sliced
- Half cucumber, julienned
- 3-4 butter lettuce leaves, cut to 1cm strips
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 bunch fresh Vietnamese mint
- 5-6 fresh Kaffir Lime leaves
- 2 slices fresh pineapple, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 200g rice vermicelli
- In a pot bring the water to boil and gently lower fish into the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to gently simmer for 10 minutes.
- While fish is poaching, in a mortar and pestle, crush ginger and garlic to a rough paste.
- Heat a 2-Litre capacity pot. Add the laksa paste, and then ginger-garlic paste. Fry paste for 1 min until aromatic, then add 3 kaffir lime leaves, and 2 stalks of Vietnamese mint and fry for another minute.
- By this time the fish should be cooked, remove and set aside. Add the stock into the pot with the paste. Bring this to a boil and let it simmer bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and sugar.
- With 2 forks, gently break up the fish to smaller chunks.
- Prepare the vermicelli per cooking instructions on packaging. Drain and distribute between 2-3 bowls.
- Ladle the laksa soup onto the noodles.
- Garnish with fish, eggs, pineapple, lettuce, cucumber, chillies and top with finely sliced herbs.
- Lastly, drizzle 2-3 tbsp coconut cream per bowl.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Verdelho.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...