Tangy Fish Laksa (Laksa Kedah)Karen Chan
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Asian Inspirations
- 300g Barramundi fillet
- 4 tbsp Valcom Laksa Paste
- 4 slices fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 750 ml water
- 400ml TCC Premium Coconut Cream
- 1-2 tbsp Squid Brand Fish Sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 hard boiled eggs, halved
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 red chillies, sliced
- Half cucumber, julienned
- 3-4 butter lettuce leaves, cut to 1cm strips
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 bunch fresh Vietnamese mint
- 5-6 fresh Kaffir Lime leaves
- 2 slices fresh pineapple, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 200g rice vermicelli
- In a pot bring the water to boil and gently lower fish into the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to gently simmer for 10 minutes.
- While fish is poaching, in a mortar and pestle, crush ginger and garlic to a rough paste.
- Heat a 2-Litre capacity pot. Add the laksa paste, and then ginger-garlic paste. Fry paste for 1 min until aromatic, then add 3 kaffir lime leaves, and 2 stalks of Vietnamese mint and fry for another minute.
- By this time the fish should be cooked, remove and set aside. Add the stock into the pot with the paste. Bring this to a boil and let it simmer bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and sugar.
- With 2 forks, gently break up the fish to smaller chunks.
- Prepare the vermicelli per cooking instructions on packaging. Drain and distribute between 2-3 bowls.
- Ladle the laksa soup onto the noodles.
- Garnish with fish, eggs, pineapple, lettuce, cucumber, chillies and top with finely sliced herbs.
- Lastly, drizzle 2-3 tbsp coconut cream per bowl.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Verdelho.
Ingredients: 9 cherry tomatoes, halved 1 small garlic clove, thinly sliced 2 tsp good-quality olive oil 1 tsp balsamic vinegar 5 basil leaves, torn, plus a few extra to serve if you like 5 pitted olives, sliced 2 large free-range egg 1 tsp small capers, rinsed salt...
Ingredients: Leftover Spaghetti Bolognese Sliced white bread Mozzarella Smoked mozzarella Grated Parmesan Butter Olive oil Mayo Pesto Salt and pepper Method: Place a scoop of pasta on one side of the bread. Then grate up your 3 cheeses and place on the other side of...
Ingredients: 250g Walnuts 250g Hazelnuts 250g Macadamia nuts 125g Pumpkin seeds 125g Sunflower seeds 60g Butter, unsalted 2 Tbsp Honey, Mr Noons honeycomb 1 Tsp Cayenne pepper 2 Tbsp Rosemary, finely chopped 1 Tbsp Cognac Method: Preheat oven to 180* Prepare...
Client - That’s Amore Cheese Typically from Puglia, this fresh creamy cheese has gained more and more popularity in the past few years, not only in Italy but overseas. Burrata is a fresh, handmade cow's milk cheese made from mozzarella and cream and it can be used in...
Ingredients: 150g guanciale, diced 3 eggs, whisked 200g pecorino cheese, grated Black pepper Salt Method: Add salt to a pot of water, and bring to a boil. Cook your pasta until al dente In a frying pan, add the guanciale on low heat and allow it to render out the...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...