Thai Beef Salad with LemongrassLaura Sharrad
- 200g steak – rump or scotch fillet
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 birdseye chillies – more or less to taste
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp palm sugar, grated (or white sugar)
- 1 ½ Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup Thai basil leaves
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 2 leaves sawtooth coriander, sliced
- ½ cup sliced cucumber – sliced in thin rounds then in half or quarter
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ long red chilli, sliced
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp finely sliced lemongrass, separated (top/green end, as this is more tender)
- ½ cup spring onion finely sliced
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- Tenderise the steak using a meat mallet then rub with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill steak on high heat (on a preheated bbq or griddle pan) approximately 2 minutes each side for medium rare. Remove the steak from heat and rest.
- While the steak is resting, make the dressing. Pound the garlic and chilli in a mortar and pestle. Add fish sauce, soy sauce, palm sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add lemon juice and mix.
- Slice the steak thinly – around 2-3mm, and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the dressing and toss.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix.
- Serve immediately.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Rose.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...