Thai Beef Salad with LemongrassLaura Sharrad
- 200g steak – rump or scotch fillet
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 birdseye chillies – more or less to taste
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp palm sugar, grated (or white sugar)
- 1 ½ Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup Thai basil leaves
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 2 leaves sawtooth coriander, sliced
- ½ cup sliced cucumber – sliced in thin rounds then in half or quarter
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ long red chilli, sliced
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp finely sliced lemongrass, separated (top/green end, as this is more tender)
- ½ cup spring onion finely sliced
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- Tenderise the steak using a meat mallet then rub with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill steak on high heat (on a preheated bbq or griddle pan) approximately 2 minutes each side for medium rare. Remove the steak from heat and rest.
- While the steak is resting, make the dressing. Pound the garlic and chilli in a mortar and pestle. Add fish sauce, soy sauce, palm sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add lemon juice and mix.
- Slice the steak thinly – around 2-3mm, and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the dressing and toss.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix.
- Serve immediately.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Rose.
Ingredients: 300ml milk, plus extra 7g sachet of dried yeast 25g white caster sugar 50g shortening or lard 425g plain flour, plus extra 20g polenta, optional Unsalted butter Method: Gently warm the milk in a pan until lukewarm or body temperature, 37ºC. Add the yeast...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Ingredients: 1 medium cauliflower, leaves and stalk trimmed, cut into wedges 400g can lentils, drained and rinsed 1 small white onion, thinly sliced Juice of 1/2 lemon 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin...
Ingredients:For Dough: 500g plain flour 190g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes ½ tsp salt 60ml warm water 1 egg, at room temperature and whisked For Filling: 600g smoked ham, diced 200g mozzarella, diced 200g cheddar, diced 200g brown onion, diced 80g...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Massel Ingredients: 500g gnocchi 2 potatoes, diced 1 clove of garlic, chopped 1 tsp dried chillies 1 leek, sliced 2 rosemary sprigs 100g pancetta, rind removed and diced 500ml Massel Veg Stock Method:...
Ingredients: 1 head cauliflower, cut into pieces 1 green banana chilli, sliced 1 bunch mint, picked 1 cup Indian style yoghurt Pinch of sea salt flakes ½ tsp garam masala powder ¼ tsp dry mango powder ¼ tsp fenugreek powder Vegetable oil for frying Method: Fry...
Ingredients: 500g good quality spaghettini Table salt (for pasta water) 8 birdseye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped ½ bunch flat leaf parsley, washed and chopped finely, stem and leaf 250ml olive oil Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste A...