Thai Beef Salad with LemongrassLaura Sharrad
- 200g steak – rump or scotch fillet
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 birdseye chillies – more or less to taste
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp palm sugar, grated (or white sugar)
- 1 ½ Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup Thai basil leaves
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 2 leaves sawtooth coriander, sliced
- ½ cup sliced cucumber – sliced in thin rounds then in half or quarter
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ long red chilli, sliced
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp finely sliced lemongrass, separated (top/green end, as this is more tender)
- ½ cup spring onion finely sliced
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- Tenderise the steak using a meat mallet then rub with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill steak on high heat (on a preheated bbq or griddle pan) approximately 2 minutes each side for medium rare. Remove the steak from heat and rest.
- While the steak is resting, make the dressing. Pound the garlic and chilli in a mortar and pestle. Add fish sauce, soy sauce, palm sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add lemon juice and mix.
- Slice the steak thinly – around 2-3mm, and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the dressing and toss.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix.
- Serve immediately.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Rose.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...