The Perfect Steak with Potato GratinBen O'Donoghue
- 1kg piece Porterhouse Steak on the bone* or OP Rib Eye (T-bone with loin attached)
- 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to brush
- 1tbsp each chopped thyme & rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Himalayan rock salt or similar
- 500g sliced peeled waxy potatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- Chopped chives
- 1 cup pure cream
- ½ cup full cream milk
- 1tbsp butter
- Preheat a heavy-based fry pan, char grill pan or barbecue on high heat. Brush steak with extra oil, then season with salt. Reduce heat to medium-high, then cook steak for 15 minutes each side for medium-rare.
- Place thyme, rosemary, garlic and olive oil in a shallow dish with freshly ground black pepper and a couple of pinches of coarse sea salt. Place the cooked steak in the dish, cover with foil and set aside in a warm place for 15 minutes to rest, turning once.
- As a rule, you should rest meat for half as long as you cook it, juices redistribute and meat becomes tender.
- Rub a tray with butter, press the crushed garlic into the butter.
- Place sliced potatoes and cover in cream and milk, topped with salt, pepper and bake at 160C for about 1 hour or until potatoes are tender and golden.
- Top with chives.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Red Willow Bridge Estate Dragonfly Shiraz or White Iron Cloud Pepperilly Sauvignon Blanc Semillon 2019
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...