The Perfect Steak with Potato GratinBen O'Donoghue
- 1kg piece Porterhouse Steak on the bone* or OP Rib Eye (T-bone with loin attached)
- 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to brush
- 1tbsp each chopped thyme & rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Himalayan rock salt or similar
- 500g sliced peeled waxy potatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- Chopped chives
- 1 cup pure cream
- ½ cup full cream milk
- 1tbsp butter
- Preheat a heavy-based fry pan, char grill pan or barbecue on high heat. Brush steak with extra oil, then season with salt. Reduce heat to medium-high, then cook steak for 15 minutes each side for medium-rare.
- Place thyme, rosemary, garlic and olive oil in a shallow dish with freshly ground black pepper and a couple of pinches of coarse sea salt. Place the cooked steak in the dish, cover with foil and set aside in a warm place for 15 minutes to rest, turning once.
- As a rule, you should rest meat for half as long as you cook it, juices redistribute and meat becomes tender.
- Rub a tray with butter, press the crushed garlic into the butter.
- Place sliced potatoes and cover in cream and milk, topped with salt, pepper and bake at 160C for about 1 hour or until potatoes are tender and golden.
- Top with chives.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Red Willow Bridge Estate Dragonfly Shiraz or White Iron Cloud Pepperilly Sauvignon Blanc Semillon 2019
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...