The Perfect Steak with Potato GratinBen O'Donoghue
- 1kg piece Porterhouse Steak on the bone* or OP Rib Eye (T-bone with loin attached)
- 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to brush
- 1tbsp each chopped thyme & rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Himalayan rock salt or similar
- 500g sliced peeled waxy potatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- Chopped chives
- 1 cup pure cream
- ½ cup full cream milk
- 1tbsp butter
- Preheat a heavy-based fry pan, char grill pan or barbecue on high heat. Brush steak with extra oil, then season with salt. Reduce heat to medium-high, then cook steak for 15 minutes each side for medium-rare.
- Place thyme, rosemary, garlic and olive oil in a shallow dish with freshly ground black pepper and a couple of pinches of coarse sea salt. Place the cooked steak in the dish, cover with foil and set aside in a warm place for 15 minutes to rest, turning once.
- As a rule, you should rest meat for half as long as you cook it, juices redistribute and meat becomes tender.
- Rub a tray with butter, press the crushed garlic into the butter.
- Place sliced potatoes and cover in cream and milk, topped with salt, pepper and bake at 160C for about 1 hour or until potatoes are tender and golden.
- Top with chives.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Red Willow Bridge Estate Dragonfly Shiraz or White Iron Cloud Pepperilly Sauvignon Blanc Semillon 2019
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...