Vietnamese Bread Roll (Banh Mi) With Crispy Roast Pork
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Asian Inspirations
Cuisine : Vietnamese
Serves : 4-5
Cooking Time : 60 mins
- 2 tbsp Squid Brand Fish Sauce
- 9 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lemongrass, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- 2 tbsp oil
- 500g pork belly, balanced fat and lean meat layers cut
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 green apples, julienned
- 2 large carrots, julienned
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 4 -5 medium French baguettes
- Peppercorn pate
- 100g cucumbers, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Spring onions
- Chilli (sliced)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Combine 1 tbsp Squid Brand Fish Sauce, 1 tbsp sugar, lemongrass, cracked pepper and 1 tbsp oil in a small bowl, mixed well, then rub the mixture onto the flesh side of the pork belly.
- Line a roasting pan with foil and place pork belly onto foil, skin side up. Gently score the pork belly skin and pat dry with paper towels. Rub pork belly skin with remaining oil and salt.
- Wrap the aluminium foil around the sides of the pork belly, like a tin foil container, leaving about 1/2 –inch on top, exposing the skin.
- Place pork belly in the oven, cook for 25 mins, then increase temperature to 230°C and cook for another 15 mins to crackle the pork belly skin. Remove from the oven and rest for 15 mins before slicing it.
- Place apples, carrots, sugar, remaining Squid Brand Fish Sauce and rice wine vinegar into a bowl and stir well to combine to make pickled vegetables.
- Slice baguettes open lengthwise, spread with mayonnaise and peppercorn pate. Add sliced pork belly, cucumber, pickled vegetables, spring onions and coriander. Add sliced chillies for an extra kick.