Wafu Spaghetti CarbonaraTobie Puttock
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely minced
- 200g mushrooms, preferably oyster or shiitake, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons sake
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 3 tablespoons white miso
- 4 tablespoons dash or chicken stock
- 2 eggs
- Juice of half a lemon
- Toasted sesame seeds, about a tablespoon
- 1/2 sheet of nori, julienne or cut thinly with scissors
- 20g freshly grated pecorino
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped chives
- 50g salmon roe
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil for the pasta.
- Heat a large pan over a medium/ high heat. Once hot add the onion and saute while stirring for a couple of minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue to saute until the onion and mushrooms begin to turn golden in colour. Reduce the heat to low, add the garlic and continue to saute for another minute.
- Plunge the spaghetti into the boiling water and cook as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, miso, dashi/ stock and lemon juice.
- Once the pasta is cooked, strain out the water and add to the pan with the mushrooms. Place the pan over a low heat and add the miso/ egg mixture and use a wooden spoon to carefully fold everything together (If you can toss a pan this is the best). Have a taste and adjust with sea salt and cracked pepper as needed.
- Serve right away with the sesame seeds, pecorino, chives, nori and a healthy dollop of salmon roe.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Pinot Noir.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...