Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Ocopa SauceCharlie Carrington
- 1 cauliflower
- 40 ml (1¼ fl oz) olive oil
- 120 g (4½ oz) feta, crumbled (can be Danish, regular or even almond feta)
- 1 heaped tablespoon mirasol chilli powder (or normal chilli powder)
- 1 heaped tablespoon aji amarillo paste
- 1/2 White onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 75g (2¾ oz) toasted peanuts
- 70ml (2¼ fl oz) evaporated milk
- 75ml (2½ fl oz) milk
- 60g (2 oz) queso fresco (or feta)
- 30g (1 oz) tostadas or biscuits (crackers)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) and cover a baking tray with baking paper. Find a saucepan large enough to fit the entire cauliflower, fill it with salted water and bring it to a boil. Submerge the whole cauliflower in the boiling water for 4 minutes.
- Using tongs, carefully remove it and place it on the prepared baking tray. Wait for the cauliflower to cool a bit, then rub the olive oil into the cauliflower until it is coated nicely. Bake it in the oven for 25 minutes or until slightly burnt on the outside.
- To make the ocopa sauce, blitz all the ingredients except the biscuits in a blender until smooth. Throw in the crackers at the end to thicken it; it needs to be thick enough that it will hold a shape.
- When the cauliflower is done, put the ocopa sauce in a piping bag and then go crazy drawing lines all facing different directions on the cauliflower. Crumble the cheese over the cauliflower and enjoy. If you’re really game, dig in with your hands!
- Only difference is sprinkle everything crazily on the plate not on the cauliflower and place the whole cauliflower on top
Cauliflower is the hero of this dish, which makes an impressive vegetarian showstopper. Aji amarillo paste, often mixed with cheese, is a staple of Peruvian cooking, and adds richness and depth to a range of sauces, including ocopa. Aji amarillo paste is easily sourced at established farmers’ markets or from online sellers of chilli peppers.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...