Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Ocopa SauceCharlie Carrington
- 1 cauliflower
- 40 ml (1¼ fl oz) olive oil
- 120 g (4½ oz) feta, crumbled (can be Danish, regular or even almond feta)
- 1 heaped tablespoon mirasol chilli powder (or normal chilli powder)
- 1 heaped tablespoon aji amarillo paste
- 1/2 White onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 75g (2¾ oz) toasted peanuts
- 70ml (2¼ fl oz) evaporated milk
- 75ml (2½ fl oz) milk
- 60g (2 oz) queso fresco (or feta)
- 30g (1 oz) tostadas or biscuits (crackers)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) and cover a baking tray with baking paper. Find a saucepan large enough to fit the entire cauliflower, fill it with salted water and bring it to a boil. Submerge the whole cauliflower in the boiling water for 4 minutes.
- Using tongs, carefully remove it and place it on the prepared baking tray. Wait for the cauliflower to cool a bit, then rub the olive oil into the cauliflower until it is coated nicely. Bake it in the oven for 25 minutes or until slightly burnt on the outside.
- To make the ocopa sauce, blitz all the ingredients except the biscuits in a blender until smooth. Throw in the crackers at the end to thicken it; it needs to be thick enough that it will hold a shape.
- When the cauliflower is done, put the ocopa sauce in a piping bag and then go crazy drawing lines all facing different directions on the cauliflower. Crumble the cheese over the cauliflower and enjoy. If you’re really game, dig in with your hands!
- Only difference is sprinkle everything crazily on the plate not on the cauliflower and place the whole cauliflower on top
Cauliflower is the hero of this dish, which makes an impressive vegetarian showstopper. Aji amarillo paste, often mixed with cheese, is a staple of Peruvian cooking, and adds richness and depth to a range of sauces, including ocopa. Aji amarillo paste is easily sourced at established farmers’ markets or from online sellers of chilli peppers.
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...