Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Ocopa SauceCharlie Carrington
- 1 cauliflower
- 40 ml (1¼ fl oz) olive oil
- 120 g (4½ oz) feta, crumbled (can be Danish, regular or even almond feta)
- 1 heaped tablespoon mirasol chilli powder (or normal chilli powder)
- 1 heaped tablespoon aji amarillo paste
- 1/2 White onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 75g (2¾ oz) toasted peanuts
- 70ml (2¼ fl oz) evaporated milk
- 75ml (2½ fl oz) milk
- 60g (2 oz) queso fresco (or feta)
- 30g (1 oz) tostadas or biscuits (crackers)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) and cover a baking tray with baking paper. Find a saucepan large enough to fit the entire cauliflower, fill it with salted water and bring it to a boil. Submerge the whole cauliflower in the boiling water for 4 minutes.
- Using tongs, carefully remove it and place it on the prepared baking tray. Wait for the cauliflower to cool a bit, then rub the olive oil into the cauliflower until it is coated nicely. Bake it in the oven for 25 minutes or until slightly burnt on the outside.
- To make the ocopa sauce, blitz all the ingredients except the biscuits in a blender until smooth. Throw in the crackers at the end to thicken it; it needs to be thick enough that it will hold a shape.
- When the cauliflower is done, put the ocopa sauce in a piping bag and then go crazy drawing lines all facing different directions on the cauliflower. Crumble the cheese over the cauliflower and enjoy. If you’re really game, dig in with your hands!
- Only difference is sprinkle everything crazily on the plate not on the cauliflower and place the whole cauliflower on top
Cauliflower is the hero of this dish, which makes an impressive vegetarian showstopper. Aji amarillo paste, often mixed with cheese, is a staple of Peruvian cooking, and adds richness and depth to a range of sauces, including ocopa. Aji amarillo paste is easily sourced at established farmers’ markets or from online sellers of chilli peppers.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...