Baba GanoushCharlie Carrington
- 2 large eggplants (aubergines)
- 20ml (¾ fl oz) grape seed oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- ½ large garlic bulb, broken into cloves and peeled
- 150g tahini
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Mint olive oil
- 1 bunch mint, leaves picked
- 100ml olive oil
- Savoury halva
- 100g (⅔ cup) sesame seeds
- 50g (⅓ cup) almonds
- 60g pitted dates, finely sliced
- 110g tahini
- First make the baba ghanoush. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F). Put the eggplants on a baking tray and roast for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and raise the temperature to 230°C (445°F), then split the eggplants in half and place them back on the tray skin side down. Brush them with a touch of grape seed oil and place back into the oven for another 20 minutes.
- To make the savoury halva, toast the sesame and the almonds separately in an oven with dry heat at 180°C (350°F) – watch the sesame, as it burns quickly. You are just looking to bring a bit of life to the sesame and almonds. Next, in a blender coarsely blitz the almonds and sesame. Add in the dates and tahini and bring together on a low speed, but don’t overwork it. It should be moist but crumbly, and if you press it between your hands it should stick to itself.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the mint into the thinnest, most hair-like strands possible and then marinate in the olive oil for at least 10 minutes.
- When the eggplant has roasted, scoop the flesh out into a blender and blend with the remaining ingredients except the paprika until smooth.
- To plate, spoon a very generous portion of the baba ghanoush onto a plate and create a well in it. Drizzle the mint oil around the well and place the savoury halva inside. Dust with the paprika.
A sweet Iraqi treat, halva is usually made from tahini and hot sugar syrup and cuts like a crumbly cake. With this recipe, I’ve used traditional sweet halva as a savoury ingredient, counteracting the slight bitterness of the tahini with dates. You can buy halva at Middle Eastern grocers.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...