Ben's Grandma Apple PieBen O'Donoghue
- 1 kg granny smith apples (peeled, cored and sliced into eighths)
- 1 cup caster sugar, plus extra to sprinkle juice of
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 star anise
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1/3 cup custard powder
- 1 cup icing sugar
- pinch of salt
- 175 g butter
- 175 g lard
- 4 egg yolks
- To make the pastry, place all the ingredients except the eggs in a food processor and blend until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add 3 of the egg yolks and pulse until the pastry just comes together. Divide the pastry in half, and shape into two flat discs. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the slices of apple in a large saucepan, along with the caster sugar, lemon juice and spices. Cook for 10–15 minutes, or until the apple slices are just tender and hold their shape.
- When the pastry is ready to roll out, place each disc between two sheets of baking paper and roll to a thickness of around 3 mm.
- Place one of the circles of pastry on a baking tray, leaving it on its sheet of baking paper. Pile the apple mixture in the centre of the pastry, leaving a 1 cm border around the edge. Lightly whisk the remaining egg yolk to make an egg wash, and brush along the border.
- Top the apple mixture with the remaining pastry circle and press down. Use a sharp knife to trim the edge of the pastry into a neat circle, leaving a border of around 2 cm from the apple. Pinch the edges together with your thumb and forefinger.
- Brush the top of the pie with the remaining egg wash and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven to sprinkle with caster sugar, then return to the oven to cook for another 15 minutes, or until golden and glazed.
Ingredients: Serves: 4 ¼ cup Nutella 8 thick slices of brioche 3 eggs ¼ cup milk 1 vanilla bean, scraped 40g butter 2 lady finger bananas 2 Tablespoons caster sugar 160g unsalted butter ¼ cup pistachios, chopped ¼ cup maple syrup Edible flowers to garnish Ice cream to...
Ingredients: 2 ¼ cups plain flour, sifted 1 ½ tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt ½ cup brown sugar ½ cup caster sugar 60gm unsalted butter, melted, cooled 3 eggs, room temperature 100gm flaked almonds, lightly toasted Chai Spice Mix: 1 tsp ground ginger 1 tsp ground...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 125gm unsalted butter, softened 100gm caster sugar Zest of 2 oranges Zest of 1 lemon 200gm self-raising flour 1 tsp baking powder 20gm poppyseeds 2 eggs 140ml milk Rum Custard: 125ml milk 125ml thickened cream 3 large egg yolks 3 Tbsp caster...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Big 4 300g Blueberries frozen 300g Apples 1 small orange, juice only 2 tbsp soft brown sugar For the cobbler topping 175g (white or wholemeal) 100g unsalted butter, softened 25g/1oz porridge oats 50g...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 cups shiraz 1 cup water 2 cups sugar 10 cloves 2 cinnamon sticks 4 small – medium ripe pears Ricotta & Blue Cheese Cream: 500g ricotta 4 tbsp honey (see notes) 50g blue cheese (see notes) Zest of ½ lemon Finely chopped pistachios (see...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 Hotcakes: 1 cup plain flour, sifted 1 tsp baking powder 1 tbsp brown sugar ½ tsp salt ¾ cup buttermilk 4 eggs, separated 250g fresh ricotta Oil or butter 100g flaked almonds, lightly toasted Mandarin Syrup: 150ml mandarin juice 1 Tbsp lemon...