Ben's Grandma Apple PieBen O'Donoghue
- 1 kg granny smith apples (peeled, cored and sliced into eighths)
- 1 cup caster sugar, plus extra to sprinkle juice of
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 star anise
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1/3 cup custard powder
- 1 cup icing sugar
- pinch of salt
- 175 g butter
- 175 g lard
- 4 egg yolks
- To make the pastry, place all the ingredients except the eggs in a food processor and blend until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add 3 of the egg yolks and pulse until the pastry just comes together. Divide the pastry in half, and shape into two flat discs. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the slices of apple in a large saucepan, along with the caster sugar, lemon juice and spices. Cook for 10–15 minutes, or until the apple slices are just tender and hold their shape.
- When the pastry is ready to roll out, place each disc between two sheets of baking paper and roll to a thickness of around 3 mm.
- Place one of the circles of pastry on a baking tray, leaving it on its sheet of baking paper. Pile the apple mixture in the centre of the pastry, leaving a 1 cm border around the edge. Lightly whisk the remaining egg yolk to make an egg wash, and brush along the border.
- Top the apple mixture with the remaining pastry circle and press down. Use a sharp knife to trim the edge of the pastry into a neat circle, leaving a border of around 2 cm from the apple. Pinch the edges together with your thumb and forefinger.
- Brush the top of the pie with the remaining egg wash and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven to sprinkle with caster sugar, then return to the oven to cook for another 15 minutes, or until golden and glazed.
Ingredients: 1 round of white sliced bread per doughnut sandwich 1 tablespoon or as required Strawberry jam 1 tablespoon or as required Nutella spread Butter as required 500mls vegetable oil 1 cup caster sugar 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder Batter 1 cup Self raising...
Ingredients: Lemon Curd 330mls Lemons juice and zest of 1 lemon 8 egg yolks 8 whole eggs 450gm unsalted butter cubed 320gm caster sugar Italian Meringue 200mls water 200gm caster sugar 150gm egg whites Pinch cream of tartar The Cheesecake - Sponge base 125gm butter...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500g cherries 4 eggs 100g flour 100g granulated sugar 300ml milk 1 vanilla bean 30g butter 1 pinch of salt Method: Wash, wipe, de-stalk and stone the cherries. Butter a spring form pan then pour in the prepared cherries. In a...
Ingredients: Bread 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1 large egg, at room temperature* 3/4 cup (150g) caster sugar 1/4 cup (50g) soft brown sugar 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk (no substitutions) 1/3 cup...
Ingredients: 3 Peaches cut in half 2 tbsp Vanilla sugar (or plain caster if you don’t have vanilla sugar) 1 cup milk 3 eggs 2 tbsp butter melted ½ cup flour Crème friache to serve Method: Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Cut you peaches in half and toss in the vanilla...
Ingredients: Serves 4 1 1/2 cups Whole oats 3 cups Coconut water 1 cup Coconut cream 2 stalks Rhubarb, chopped 2 Apples, peeled and cored 1 cup Raspberries, fresh or frozen 1 cup Strawberries, sliced 1 Orange, zest and juice 3 tablespoons Pure maple syrup 1 Cinnamon...