Ben's Grandma Apple PieBen O'Donoghue
- 1 kg granny smith apples (peeled, cored and sliced into eighths)
- 1 cup caster sugar, plus extra to sprinkle juice of
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 star anise
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1/3 cup custard powder
- 1 cup icing sugar
- pinch of salt
- 175 g butter
- 175 g lard
- 4 egg yolks
- To make the pastry, place all the ingredients except the eggs in a food processor and blend until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add 3 of the egg yolks and pulse until the pastry just comes together. Divide the pastry in half, and shape into two flat discs. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the slices of apple in a large saucepan, along with the caster sugar, lemon juice and spices. Cook for 10–15 minutes, or until the apple slices are just tender and hold their shape.
- When the pastry is ready to roll out, place each disc between two sheets of baking paper and roll to a thickness of around 3 mm.
- Place one of the circles of pastry on a baking tray, leaving it on its sheet of baking paper. Pile the apple mixture in the centre of the pastry, leaving a 1 cm border around the edge. Lightly whisk the remaining egg yolk to make an egg wash, and brush along the border.
- Top the apple mixture with the remaining pastry circle and press down. Use a sharp knife to trim the edge of the pastry into a neat circle, leaving a border of around 2 cm from the apple. Pinch the edges together with your thumb and forefinger.
- Brush the top of the pie with the remaining egg wash and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven to sprinkle with caster sugar, then return to the oven to cook for another 15 minutes, or until golden and glazed.
Ingredients: Makes 28 portions 12 eggs 800gm 900gm caster sugar 675gm 68% Madagascar chocolate 675gm-unsalted butter 225gm ground macadamia meal 225gm cocoa powder 300gm macadamia nuts Method: Preheat oven to 150 degrees Grease and line sponge tray with parchment...
Ingredients: 1 cup semolina 1 cup almonds, blanched, toasted and roughly chopped 2 cups self raising flour, sifted 2 tsp baking powder Rind of 1 lemon 6 eggs 250g butter at room temp Juice of 2 oranges 2 tbsp cognac or brandy 1 cup of caster. Sugar Shredded coconut as...
Ingredients: Makes 12 ¾ cup Australian almonds 1/3 cup rolled oats 2 tbsp cacao powder ½ tsp vanilla extract 12 medjool dates 3 tbsp cacao nibs 1 tbsp Australian almond oil Method: In a food processor blend ¼ cup of the almonds until they are crushed lightly but not...
Ingredients: Makes 2 small jars of jam and nut butter Jam ¼ cup fresh Australian raspberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blackberries ¼ cup fresh Australian strawberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blueberries ¼ cup fresh Australian red seedless grapes Splash Water ¼ cup chia...
Ingredients: Serves two 1/2 cup very cold vodka Juice of two limes 2 tablespoons sugar syrup 1/2 cup fresh raspberries 1/2 cup blueberries Approx 500ml sparkling water Ice Method: Bring together the vodka, lime juice, sugar syrup, raspberries, blueberries and...
Ingredients: 8 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla extract 3 cups white sugar 3 litres of milk Pinch of salt 120g butter 2 cups semolina 15 sheets of fillo pastry 150g butter melted (approx.) Icing sugar + cinnamon to serve Method: Separate egg yolks from whites Add vanilla...