Braised Beef Short Ribs with Creamy MashElena Duggan
- 50g EVOO
- 2kg Bone in – Beef short ribs, grass fed
- 2 heads Garlic, cut in half, cross section of head
- 150g / 4 Celery sticks, 5mm diced
- 150g / 2med Carrots, 5mm diced
- 150g / 2med Onions, 5mm diced
- 50g Tomato paste
- 500g Red wine
- 500g Beef stock
- 4-6 sprigs Thyme
- Black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 750g potatoes
- 50g Butter
- 50g Crème fraiche
- White pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 20g Parsley, finely chopped
- 10g Chives, finely chopped
- 1lge Lemon, finely zested, reserve juice
- Preheat fan forced oven to 160 Celsius.
- Season the ribs with EVOO, pepper and salt on all sides.
- In a large non-stick fry pan, over high heat, seal the ribs in batches, on all sides starting the caramelisation process. Transfer the ribs to a large oven dish or casserole dish.
- To the fry pan, place the garlic heads cut side down in the beef fat and start begin to soften and brown them in the pan, after 2-3minutes, add onion, carrot, celery, sauté for 2-3 minutes to gain some colour and flavour.
- Transfer to oven dish, along with tomato paste, red wine, beef stock and thyme. Liquid should come up approximately ¾ of the way up the ribs when on their side.
- Roast for 1½ hours covered or with a lid, after which remove cover or lid and cook for another hour, or until flesh is pulling away from bone lengths, and liquid has evaporated by half.
- Test the meat using a spoon or fork to gently push the meat away from the bone, meat may require another 30 minutes – or until desired meat texture is achieved. Remove from oven and set aside at room temp uncovered for up to ten minutes.
- Whilst meat is in its final 15-20 minutes oven braising, prepare the potatoes, boil them in a large saucepan until starting to collapse and skin is falling off flesh. Strain immediately and return potatoes to dry pot and turn off heat. Mash well, with butter and crème fraiche, season with pepper and salt to taste.
- Evenly portion mash on the bottom of some plates, pile 2-3 ribs per person on top of mash. Spoon over as much or as little sauce and vegetables as you desired.
- Sprinkle over parsley, chives and zest to serve.
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Low fructose, zero refined sugar
- Dairy free, optional, replace dairy with EVOO
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...