Braised Beef Short Ribs with Creamy MashElena Duggan
- 50g EVOO
- 2kg Bone in – Beef short ribs, grass fed
- 2 heads Garlic, cut in half, cross section of head
- 150g / 4 Celery sticks, 5mm diced
- 150g / 2med Carrots, 5mm diced
- 150g / 2med Onions, 5mm diced
- 50g Tomato paste
- 500g Red wine
- 500g Beef stock
- 4-6 sprigs Thyme
- Black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 750g potatoes
- 50g Butter
- 50g Crème fraiche
- White pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 20g Parsley, finely chopped
- 10g Chives, finely chopped
- 1lge Lemon, finely zested, reserve juice
- Preheat fan forced oven to 160 Celsius.
- Season the ribs with EVOO, pepper and salt on all sides.
- In a large non-stick fry pan, over high heat, seal the ribs in batches, on all sides starting the caramelisation process. Transfer the ribs to a large oven dish or casserole dish.
- To the fry pan, place the garlic heads cut side down in the beef fat and start begin to soften and brown them in the pan, after 2-3minutes, add onion, carrot, celery, sauté for 2-3 minutes to gain some colour and flavour.
- Transfer to oven dish, along with tomato paste, red wine, beef stock and thyme. Liquid should come up approximately ¾ of the way up the ribs when on their side.
- Roast for 1½ hours covered or with a lid, after which remove cover or lid and cook for another hour, or until flesh is pulling away from bone lengths, and liquid has evaporated by half.
- Test the meat using a spoon or fork to gently push the meat away from the bone, meat may require another 30 minutes – or until desired meat texture is achieved. Remove from oven and set aside at room temp uncovered for up to ten minutes.
- Whilst meat is in its final 15-20 minutes oven braising, prepare the potatoes, boil them in a large saucepan until starting to collapse and skin is falling off flesh. Strain immediately and return potatoes to dry pot and turn off heat. Mash well, with butter and crème fraiche, season with pepper and salt to taste.
- Evenly portion mash on the bottom of some plates, pile 2-3 ribs per person on top of mash. Spoon over as much or as little sauce and vegetables as you desired.
- Sprinkle over parsley, chives and zest to serve.
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Low fructose, zero refined sugar
- Dairy free, optional, replace dairy with EVOO
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 1x 2 kg lamb shoulder, easy-carve or shoulder blade removed 12 prunes, pitted 2 large sprigs of rosemary, broken and leaves removed 2 tablespoons olive oil 100 g butter 1 onion, chopped 1 celery heart, chopped 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced 2 fresh or...
Ingredients: Serves 4 8 Moreton Bay bugs 200g thinly sliced dried pancetta 8 bay leaves 4 ripe figs, halved 2 tablespoons olive oil Juice of 1 lemon Method: Prepare your barbecue for direct grilling over a high heat. Prepare the bugs by removing the meat from the...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Teaspoon coconut sugar 6 freshly picked mint leaves Approx 500ml SodaStream Carbonated Water 10-15 assorted fresh berries One lime, halved Ice Method: Start by bringing together the coconut sugar and the mint in a food processor or alternatively...
Ingredients: Serves: 3 2 cup water 3 tbsp Valcom Tom Yum Paste 1 cup button mushrooms, halved 300g chicken fillet, sliced 1⁄4 cup TCC Premium Coconut Milk 4 tbsp Valcom Kaffir Lime Leaves 1 stalk coriander coarsely chopped 1 red chilli, cut diagonally Method: Bring...