Braised Beef Short Ribs with Creamy MashElena Duggan
- 50g EVOO
- 2kg Bone in – Beef short ribs, grass fed
- 2 heads Garlic, cut in half, cross section of head
- 150g / 4 Celery sticks, 5mm diced
- 150g / 2med Carrots, 5mm diced
- 150g / 2med Onions, 5mm diced
- 50g Tomato paste
- 500g Red wine
- 500g Beef stock
- 4-6 sprigs Thyme
- Black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 750g potatoes
- 50g Butter
- 50g Crème fraiche
- White pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 20g Parsley, finely chopped
- 10g Chives, finely chopped
- 1lge Lemon, finely zested, reserve juice
- Preheat fan forced oven to 160 Celsius.
- Season the ribs with EVOO, pepper and salt on all sides.
- In a large non-stick fry pan, over high heat, seal the ribs in batches, on all sides starting the caramelisation process. Transfer the ribs to a large oven dish or casserole dish.
- To the fry pan, place the garlic heads cut side down in the beef fat and start begin to soften and brown them in the pan, after 2-3minutes, add onion, carrot, celery, sauté for 2-3 minutes to gain some colour and flavour.
- Transfer to oven dish, along with tomato paste, red wine, beef stock and thyme. Liquid should come up approximately ¾ of the way up the ribs when on their side.
- Roast for 1½ hours covered or with a lid, after which remove cover or lid and cook for another hour, or until flesh is pulling away from bone lengths, and liquid has evaporated by half.
- Test the meat using a spoon or fork to gently push the meat away from the bone, meat may require another 30 minutes – or until desired meat texture is achieved. Remove from oven and set aside at room temp uncovered for up to ten minutes.
- Whilst meat is in its final 15-20 minutes oven braising, prepare the potatoes, boil them in a large saucepan until starting to collapse and skin is falling off flesh. Strain immediately and return potatoes to dry pot and turn off heat. Mash well, with butter and crème fraiche, season with pepper and salt to taste.
- Evenly portion mash on the bottom of some plates, pile 2-3 ribs per person on top of mash. Spoon over as much or as little sauce and vegetables as you desired.
- Sprinkle over parsley, chives and zest to serve.
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Low fructose, zero refined sugar
- Dairy free, optional, replace dairy with EVOO
Ingredients: 4 duck breast 1 tablspoon brown sugar ½ tablespoon salt ¼ bunch thyme 1 tsp five spice butter garlic Sauce 1/3 cup sugar 1/3 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 to 2 oranges) segments of one orange 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar 1/8 teaspoon salt 2 to 4...
Ingredients: Serve 4 4 thick King salmon or Atlantic salmon Vegetable oil Lime wedges Marinade 2 pinches of salt 2 teaspoons chilli powder juice of 1 lime 1 teaspoon sugar 2 teaspoons garlic paste 2 teaspoons ginger paste Crust 180g white split peas (urad dal) 1...
Ingredients: Mornay Sauce 25gm unsalted butter 25gm Laucke plain flour 1 cup full cream milk 80gm Gruyere cheese grated Salt White pepper For the Sandwich Four thick slices white bread 100gm unsalted butter 2 tsp Dijon mustard 4 slices Gruyere cheese (80gm) 200gm...
Ingredients: 500g kangaroo sirloin cut into thin strips 2 tablespoons cornflour 2 tablespoon sunflower oil for frying 2 green capsicums – cut into strips 2 bunch of broccolini – bottom end removed and cut in half 1 bunch green onions – green and whites finely chopped...
Ingredients: Makes Two 4 rounds or Rye bread slices 300gm sliced pastrami 100gm sauerkraut 200gm comte cheese or cheddar 2 large garlic and dill pickles cut in half 4 tbsp kewpie mayo 1 tbsp hot English mustard 100gm butter soft Method: Combine the hot English mustard...
Ingredients: Serves 4 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 4 eggs separated 1 cup butter milk 1 cup ricotta 1 cup corn frozen 1 small bunch coriander leaves chopped 1 lg smashed avo 200gm chopped tomatoes 1/4 medium red onion sliced 1 clove of garlic chopped...