Braised Beef Short Ribs with Creamy MashElena Duggan
- 50g EVOO
- 2kg Bone in – Beef short ribs, grass fed
- 2 heads Garlic, cut in half, cross section of head
- 150g / 4 Celery sticks, 5mm diced
- 150g / 2med Carrots, 5mm diced
- 150g / 2med Onions, 5mm diced
- 50g Tomato paste
- 500g Red wine
- 500g Beef stock
- 4-6 sprigs Thyme
- Black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 750g potatoes
- 50g Butter
- 50g Crème fraiche
- White pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 20g Parsley, finely chopped
- 10g Chives, finely chopped
- 1lge Lemon, finely zested, reserve juice
- Preheat fan forced oven to 160 Celsius.
- Season the ribs with EVOO, pepper and salt on all sides.
- In a large non-stick fry pan, over high heat, seal the ribs in batches, on all sides starting the caramelisation process. Transfer the ribs to a large oven dish or casserole dish.
- To the fry pan, place the garlic heads cut side down in the beef fat and start begin to soften and brown them in the pan, after 2-3minutes, add onion, carrot, celery, sauté for 2-3 minutes to gain some colour and flavour.
- Transfer to oven dish, along with tomato paste, red wine, beef stock and thyme. Liquid should come up approximately ¾ of the way up the ribs when on their side.
- Roast for 1½ hours covered or with a lid, after which remove cover or lid and cook for another hour, or until flesh is pulling away from bone lengths, and liquid has evaporated by half.
- Test the meat using a spoon or fork to gently push the meat away from the bone, meat may require another 30 minutes – or until desired meat texture is achieved. Remove from oven and set aside at room temp uncovered for up to ten minutes.
- Whilst meat is in its final 15-20 minutes oven braising, prepare the potatoes, boil them in a large saucepan until starting to collapse and skin is falling off flesh. Strain immediately and return potatoes to dry pot and turn off heat. Mash well, with butter and crème fraiche, season with pepper and salt to taste.
- Evenly portion mash on the bottom of some plates, pile 2-3 ribs per person on top of mash. Spoon over as much or as little sauce and vegetables as you desired.
- Sprinkle over parsley, chives and zest to serve.
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Low fructose, zero refined sugar
- Dairy free, optional, replace dairy with EVOO
Ingredients: 2 cup caster sugar 2 cups soy sauce 1 cup shao-hsing wine 3L water 2 inch piece ginger 8 cloves garlic 6 spring onions, 5cm batons 8 star anise 8 coriander seeds 4 cinnamon quills 4 cloves 2 pork trotters Method: Place an even layer of sugar in a large...
Ingredients: 2 cups of black-eyed beans 1 bunch of English spinach (or baby spinach, if preferred), Roughly chopped and thoroughly washed 6 spring onions, finely chopped 1 onion, sliced 1/2 cup of olive oil 1 tbsp white wine vinegar juice of 1 lemon a few sprigs of...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Let's Go Motorhomes and Big4 Holiday Parks Assortment of Sausages 100ml Mayonnaise ½ bulb of roasted black garlic ½ lemon juiced Long metal skewers Method: Grill your sausages on your bbq until...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Asian InspirationsSalmon: 200g Fresh Australian salmon, skin on, pin bones removed 50ml Vegetable oil Miso Glaze: 50g White miso paste 50ml Obento Mirin Seasoning 50g Sugar Togarashi Crackers: 1 each...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra 1 brown onion, finely grated 2 cloves garlic, finely grated 1g saffron threads 400g Arborio Rice ½ cup dry white wine 1.5 Litres Vegetable stock 50g unsalted butter 125g parmesan, finely grated Method:...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 800g Hanger Steak Sea Salt 1 small yellow pepper, seeds removed, roughly chopped 6 Yellow baby Tomatoes 1 small red chilli, seeds removed ½ tsp dried flaked chillies 2 Garlic cloves, peeled 20g fresh parsley, including any tender stalks 10g each...