Braised Beef Short Ribs with Creamy MashElena Duggan
- 50g EVOO
- 2kg Bone in – Beef short ribs, grass fed
- 2 heads Garlic, cut in half, cross section of head
- 150g / 4 Celery sticks, 5mm diced
- 150g / 2med Carrots, 5mm diced
- 150g / 2med Onions, 5mm diced
- 50g Tomato paste
- 500g Red wine
- 500g Beef stock
- 4-6 sprigs Thyme
- Black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 750g potatoes
- 50g Butter
- 50g Crème fraiche
- White pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 20g Parsley, finely chopped
- 10g Chives, finely chopped
- 1lge Lemon, finely zested, reserve juice
- Preheat fan forced oven to 160 Celsius.
- Season the ribs with EVOO, pepper and salt on all sides.
- In a large non-stick fry pan, over high heat, seal the ribs in batches, on all sides starting the caramelisation process. Transfer the ribs to a large oven dish or casserole dish.
- To the fry pan, place the garlic heads cut side down in the beef fat and start begin to soften and brown them in the pan, after 2-3minutes, add onion, carrot, celery, sauté for 2-3 minutes to gain some colour and flavour.
- Transfer to oven dish, along with tomato paste, red wine, beef stock and thyme. Liquid should come up approximately ¾ of the way up the ribs when on their side.
- Roast for 1½ hours covered or with a lid, after which remove cover or lid and cook for another hour, or until flesh is pulling away from bone lengths, and liquid has evaporated by half.
- Test the meat using a spoon or fork to gently push the meat away from the bone, meat may require another 30 minutes – or until desired meat texture is achieved. Remove from oven and set aside at room temp uncovered for up to ten minutes.
- Whilst meat is in its final 15-20 minutes oven braising, prepare the potatoes, boil them in a large saucepan until starting to collapse and skin is falling off flesh. Strain immediately and return potatoes to dry pot and turn off heat. Mash well, with butter and crème fraiche, season with pepper and salt to taste.
- Evenly portion mash on the bottom of some plates, pile 2-3 ribs per person on top of mash. Spoon over as much or as little sauce and vegetables as you desired.
- Sprinkle over parsley, chives and zest to serve.
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Low fructose, zero refined sugar
- Dairy free, optional, replace dairy with EVOO
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...