Braised Five Spice Pork BellyElena Duggan
- 25g Peanut oil
- 25g Sesame oil
- 1kg Boneless pork belly or thick rashers, cut into 3cm cubes
- 25g Fresh ginger, grated
- 25g Fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Oranges or Mandarins, peel only
- 25g Ikan billis (Malay dried little fish)
- 50g Stevia/ erythritol, granulated
- 10g Chinese five spice powder
- 5 whole Star anise
- 3x10cm Cinnamon sticks
- 2lge Bay leaves
- 2.5g Szechuan peppercorns
- 100g Chinese cooking wine
- 50g Tamari
- 1kg Chicken stock, reduced salt
- Additional water to cover the pork belly
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 long Red chili, finely sliced
- 6 med bok choy, halved and steamed
- Steamed white rice
- Heat oil in a heavy based pot over medium-high heat.
- Add pork, stirring occasionally, and cook for 5-6 minutes until gaining some caramel colour on all sides.
- Add ginger, garlic, citrus peel, five spice and ikan billis and cook for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Add 25g water if necessary so pork is just submerged.
- Cover pot with a lid and reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Braise gently for approximately 2 hours, or until pork is tender, fat is translucent and the liquid has reduced to approximately half. Or alternatively cook in a pressure cooker for 45 minutes on high, followed by 10-15 minutes on the stove top, high heat to increase caramelisation.
- Serve with chili, spring onions, bok choy and steamed rice.
- Grain free
- Gluten free
- HFLC – optional, utilise cauliflower rice instead of regular
- Dairy free
- Nut free – optional, use only sesame oil
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...