Braised Five Spice Pork BellyElena Duggan
- 25g Peanut oil
- 25g Sesame oil
- 1kg Boneless pork belly or thick rashers, cut into 3cm cubes
- 25g Fresh ginger, grated
- 25g Fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Oranges or Mandarins, peel only
- 25g Ikan billis (Malay dried little fish)
- 50g Stevia/ erythritol, granulated
- 10g Chinese five spice powder
- 5 whole Star anise
- 3x10cm Cinnamon sticks
- 2lge Bay leaves
- 2.5g Szechuan peppercorns
- 100g Chinese cooking wine
- 50g Tamari
- 1kg Chicken stock, reduced salt
- Additional water to cover the pork belly
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 long Red chili, finely sliced
- 6 med bok choy, halved and steamed
- Steamed white rice
- Heat oil in a heavy based pot over medium-high heat.
- Add pork, stirring occasionally, and cook for 5-6 minutes until gaining some caramel colour on all sides.
- Add ginger, garlic, citrus peel, five spice and ikan billis and cook for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Add 25g water if necessary so pork is just submerged.
- Cover pot with a lid and reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Braise gently for approximately 2 hours, or until pork is tender, fat is translucent and the liquid has reduced to approximately half. Or alternatively cook in a pressure cooker for 45 minutes on high, followed by 10-15 minutes on the stove top, high heat to increase caramelisation.
- Serve with chili, spring onions, bok choy and steamed rice.
- Grain free
- Gluten free
- HFLC – optional, utilise cauliflower rice instead of regular
- Dairy free
- Nut free – optional, use only sesame oil
Ingredients: 4 duck breast 1 tablspoon brown sugar ½ tablespoon salt ¼ bunch thyme 1 tsp five spice butter garlic Sauce 1/3 cup sugar 1/3 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 to 2 oranges) segments of one orange 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar 1/8 teaspoon salt 2 to 4...
Ingredients: Serve 4 4 thick King salmon or Atlantic salmon Vegetable oil Lime wedges Marinade 2 pinches of salt 2 teaspoons chilli powder juice of 1 lime 1 teaspoon sugar 2 teaspoons garlic paste 2 teaspoons ginger paste Crust 180g white split peas (urad dal) 1...
Ingredients: Mornay Sauce 25gm unsalted butter 25gm Laucke plain flour 1 cup full cream milk 80gm Gruyere cheese grated Salt White pepper For the Sandwich Four thick slices white bread 100gm unsalted butter 2 tsp Dijon mustard 4 slices Gruyere cheese (80gm) 200gm...
Ingredients: 500g kangaroo sirloin cut into thin strips 2 tablespoons cornflour 2 tablespoon sunflower oil for frying 2 green capsicums – cut into strips 2 bunch of broccolini – bottom end removed and cut in half 1 bunch green onions – green and whites finely chopped...
Ingredients: Makes Two 4 rounds or Rye bread slices 300gm sliced pastrami 100gm sauerkraut 200gm comte cheese or cheddar 2 large garlic and dill pickles cut in half 4 tbsp kewpie mayo 1 tbsp hot English mustard 100gm butter soft Method: Combine the hot English mustard...
Ingredients: Serves 4 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 4 eggs separated 1 cup butter milk 1 cup ricotta 1 cup corn frozen 1 small bunch coriander leaves chopped 1 lg smashed avo 200gm chopped tomatoes 1/4 medium red onion sliced 1 clove of garlic chopped...