Cauliflower Steaks with Miso SauceTobie Puttock
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds,
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1 sheet nori (edible seaweed)
- 1 whole medium sized cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 90g white miso paste
- 100ml rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple or brown rice malt syrup
- Soy sauce
- 50ml water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Soy sauce to taste
- Tablespoon hemp seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Preheat a griddle pan or a normal pan over a low heat.
- Trim the base of the cauliflower and remove any leaves. Slice the cauliflower into four steaks. Rub the sesame oil over the cauliflower steaks being careful not to break them.
- Cut 8 pieces of baking paper the same size as the cauliflower steaks and place a piece on each side of each steak so they are enclosed. Cook the cauliflower steaks over a low heat in a grill pan or in a large pan. Unless you have multiple pans, you may need to do this in batches as it’s important that the steaks have full flat contact with the heat. After 10 minutes carefully flip the steaks and continue to cook until tender.
- While the cauliflower is cooking spread the sesame out onto a baking tray and bake for 3 minutes. Remove and add the nori to the baking tray and continue to cook for a further minute until the sesame seeds are golden and the nori is crunchy. Remove and pop the ingredients into a bowl, once cool enough to handle, use your hands to crush the nori while combining with the sesame seeds.
- Pop the miso, rice wine vinegar, maple and water into a food processor, blitz and slowly add the olive oil. Use the soy as your salt and season according to taste, I normally put a couple of teaspoons in.
- Once the cauliflower is cooked arrange the steaks onto serving plates and distribute the dressing over the hot cauliflower, finally finishing with a super generous sprinkling of the nori and sesame mixture and some hemp seeds if using.
Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Vegemite and Cheese Scrolls
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Laura’s Mum’s Meatball Pasta
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Crispy Chilli Oil
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...
Special Fried Rice
Ingredients: 60 ml (¼ cup) peanut oil 4 green king prawns, peeled, cleaned and roughly chopped 2 eggs, lightly beaten 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 2 tsp finely chopped ginger 150 gm Chinese-style barbecue pork char siu roughly chopped 555 gm (3 cups) cooked rice 1...