Cauliflower Steaks with Miso SauceTobie Puttock
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds,
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1 sheet nori (edible seaweed)
- 1 whole medium sized cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 90g white miso paste
- 100ml rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple or brown rice malt syrup
- Soy sauce
- 50ml water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Soy sauce to taste
- Tablespoon hemp seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Preheat a griddle pan or a normal pan over a low heat.
- Trim the base of the cauliflower and remove any leaves. Slice the cauliflower into four steaks. Rub the sesame oil over the cauliflower steaks being careful not to break them.
- Cut 8 pieces of baking paper the same size as the cauliflower steaks and place a piece on each side of each steak so they are enclosed. Cook the cauliflower steaks over a low heat in a grill pan or in a large pan. Unless you have multiple pans, you may need to do this in batches as it’s important that the steaks have full flat contact with the heat. After 10 minutes carefully flip the steaks and continue to cook until tender.
- While the cauliflower is cooking spread the sesame out onto a baking tray and bake for 3 minutes. Remove and add the nori to the baking tray and continue to cook for a further minute until the sesame seeds are golden and the nori is crunchy. Remove and pop the ingredients into a bowl, once cool enough to handle, use your hands to crush the nori while combining with the sesame seeds.
- Pop the miso, rice wine vinegar, maple and water into a food processor, blitz and slowly add the olive oil. Use the soy as your salt and season according to taste, I normally put a couple of teaspoons in.
- Once the cauliflower is cooked arrange the steaks onto serving plates and distribute the dressing over the hot cauliflower, finally finishing with a super generous sprinkling of the nori and sesame mixture and some hemp seeds if using.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...