Cauliflower Steaks with Miso SauceTobie Puttock
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds,
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1 sheet nori (edible seaweed)
- 1 whole medium sized cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 90g white miso paste
- 100ml rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple or brown rice malt syrup
- Soy sauce
- 50ml water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Soy sauce to taste
- Tablespoon hemp seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Preheat a griddle pan or a normal pan over a low heat.
- Trim the base of the cauliflower and remove any leaves. Slice the cauliflower into four steaks. Rub the sesame oil over the cauliflower steaks being careful not to break them.
- Cut 8 pieces of baking paper the same size as the cauliflower steaks and place a piece on each side of each steak so they are enclosed. Cook the cauliflower steaks over a low heat in a grill pan or in a large pan. Unless you have multiple pans, you may need to do this in batches as it’s important that the steaks have full flat contact with the heat. After 10 minutes carefully flip the steaks and continue to cook until tender.
- While the cauliflower is cooking spread the sesame out onto a baking tray and bake for 3 minutes. Remove and add the nori to the baking tray and continue to cook for a further minute until the sesame seeds are golden and the nori is crunchy. Remove and pop the ingredients into a bowl, once cool enough to handle, use your hands to crush the nori while combining with the sesame seeds.
- Pop the miso, rice wine vinegar, maple and water into a food processor, blitz and slowly add the olive oil. Use the soy as your salt and season according to taste, I normally put a couple of teaspoons in.
- Once the cauliflower is cooked arrange the steaks onto serving plates and distribute the dressing over the hot cauliflower, finally finishing with a super generous sprinkling of the nori and sesame mixture and some hemp seeds if using.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...