Chicken BiryaniElena Duggan
- 500g Basmati rice
- 50g Ghee
- 200g / 1lge Onion, finely diced
- 500g Chicken breasts and/or thigh fillet, sliced into 1cm pieces
- 20g Garam masala
- 3 Bay leaves
- 3 Green cardamom pods
- 3 Black cardamom pods
- 1 x 10cm Cinnamon stick
- 5g Turmeric, ground
- 20g Garlic cloves, crushed
- 20g Ginger, finely grated
- 6 Cloves
- 2.5g/ 1tsp Black caraway seeds (shajeera)
- <1g / ½ tsp Nutmeg, ground
- Pinch saffron threads
- 1 long Red chili, deseeded and finely diced
- 100g Sultanas or raisins
- 1kg Chicken stock
- Salt to taste
- ½ bunch Coriander, leaves only, sliced
- 25g Flaked almonds, lightly toasted
- 50g Crispy onions
- Soak rice in warm water, then wash in cold until the water runs clear, this may take 10minutes.
- Heat ghee in a medium to large saucepan and cook onion with all aromats, whilst stirring for up to 10 minutes or thoroughly fragrant and onions softened.
- Add chicken and cook until well sealed or at least 5minutes.
- Stir the rice into the pan with sultanas, then pour over stock.
- Place a tight-fitting lid on the pan and bring to the boil, before reducing heat to a minimum and cook the rice for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave for 10 minutes.
- If rice is still too wet, cooked for a further 5minutes over medium to high heat, uncovered whilst stirring to evaporate liquid.
- Remove from heat, mix through half of the coriander and half the crispy onions.
- To serve, scatter over the remaining onions, coriander and almonds.
- Gluten free
- Dairy free, optional – swap ghee for coconut oil
- Zero refined sugar
Ingredients: 100g glass noodles (bean thread vermicelli) 2 Lebanese cucumbers, thinly sliced using a vegetable peeler 4 spring onions, thinly sliced on diagonal 2 eschalots, thinly sliced 1 cup coriander sprigs 1 cup flat-leaf parsley sprigs 1-2 small red chillies,...
Ingredients: 320g semolina plus a little extra 40g greens such as spinach or Tuscan kale Extra Virgin Olive Oil Sea salt and cracked pepper Pesto 1 garlic clove, peeled 20g pine nuts 50g wild rocket 25g parmesan plus a little extra Juice of 1 lemon Method: To make the...
Ingredients: 4 duck breast 1 tablspoon brown sugar ½ tablespoon salt ¼ bunch thyme 1 tsp five spice butter garlic Sauce 1/3 cup sugar 1/3 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 to 2 oranges) segments of one orange 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar 1/8 teaspoon salt 2 to 4...
Ingredients: Serve 4 4 thick King salmon or Atlantic salmon Vegetable oil Lime wedges Marinade 2 pinches of salt 2 teaspoons chilli powder juice of 1 lime 1 teaspoon sugar 2 teaspoons garlic paste 2 teaspoons ginger paste Crust 180g white split peas (urad dal) 1...
Ingredients: Mornay Sauce 25gm unsalted butter 25gm Laucke plain flour 1 cup full cream milk 80gm Gruyere cheese grated Salt White pepper For the Sandwich Four thick slices white bread 100gm unsalted butter 2 tsp Dijon mustard 4 slices Gruyere cheese (80gm) 200gm...
Ingredients: 500g kangaroo sirloin cut into thin strips 2 tablespoons cornflour 2 tablespoon sunflower oil for frying 2 green capsicums – cut into strips 2 bunch of broccolini – bottom end removed and cut in half 1 bunch green onions – green and whites finely chopped...