Chicken BiryaniElena Duggan
- 500g Basmati rice
- 50g Ghee
- 200g / 1lge Onion, finely diced
- 500g Chicken breasts and/or thigh fillet, sliced into 1cm pieces
- 20g Garam masala
- 3 Bay leaves
- 3 Green cardamom pods
- 3 Black cardamom pods
- 1 x 10cm Cinnamon stick
- 5g Turmeric, ground
- 20g Garlic cloves, crushed
- 20g Ginger, finely grated
- 6 Cloves
- 2.5g/ 1tsp Black caraway seeds (shajeera)
- <1g / ½ tsp Nutmeg, ground
- Pinch saffron threads
- 1 long Red chili, deseeded and finely diced
- 100g Sultanas or raisins
- 1kg Chicken stock
- Salt to taste
- ½ bunch Coriander, leaves only, sliced
- 25g Flaked almonds, lightly toasted
- 50g Crispy onions
- Soak rice in warm water, then wash in cold until the water runs clear, this may take 10minutes.
- Heat ghee in a medium to large saucepan and cook onion with all aromats, whilst stirring for up to 10 minutes or thoroughly fragrant and onions softened.
- Add chicken and cook until well sealed or at least 5minutes.
- Stir the rice into the pan with sultanas, then pour over stock.
- Place a tight-fitting lid on the pan and bring to the boil, before reducing heat to a minimum and cook the rice for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave for 10 minutes.
- If rice is still too wet, cooked for a further 5minutes over medium to high heat, uncovered whilst stirring to evaporate liquid.
- Remove from heat, mix through half of the coriander and half the crispy onions.
- To serve, scatter over the remaining onions, coriander and almonds.
- Gluten free
- Dairy free, optional – swap ghee for coconut oil
- Zero refined sugar
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...