Crispy Vietnamese PancakeBen O'Donoghue
- 350gm rice flour
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 750ml coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons of sunflower, plus extra for cooking pancakes
- 250ml of water plus extra if required to make the batter smooth
- 2 teaspoons of sesame oil
- 4 chicken thighs de-skinned, boned and diced
- 1 packet of cooked prawns
- 1 teaspoon of finely grated ginger
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 slice brown onion
- 3 bunches of spring onions sliced on a long diagonal root removed
- 1 large handful of bean sprouts
- Soy sauce to taste
- 8 nice iceberg lettuce leaves
- ½ bunch of basil
- ½ bunch of mint
- 2 limes cut in quarters
- Sift the rice flour and turmeric, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl. Stir in the coconut milk, sunflower oil and water until well combined and the batter is smooth with a pouring cream consistency.
- Stir fry the chicken thigh meat in a little sesame oil with a little of the garlic and ginger until just cooked and set aside. Then stir fry the spring onion; beans sprouts with the remaining garlic and ginger add the prawns and the cooked chicken thigh and season with soy sauce and set aside, keeping warm.
- In a large non-stick large fry pan or well-seasoned wok heat two tablespoons of sunflower oil. Pour in enough batter to make a nice thick pancake, swirling the batter around the pan to make an even thickness, let this cook on one side for about 3-5 minutes until golden and crispy. (You can make large ones or small ones. To share or individually)
- Add enough filling to one half of the pancake. Then fold over the unfilled portion and serve with a lettuce leaf cup and the fresh herbs. The Idea is to make your own lettuce pocket filled with the pancake and the herbs and a squeeze of lime.
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...