Crispy Vietnamese PancakeBen O'Donoghue
- 350gm rice flour
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 750ml coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons of sunflower, plus extra for cooking pancakes
- 250ml of water plus extra if required to make the batter smooth
- 2 teaspoons of sesame oil
- 4 chicken thighs de-skinned, boned and diced
- 1 packet of cooked prawns
- 1 teaspoon of finely grated ginger
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 slice brown onion
- 3 bunches of spring onions sliced on a long diagonal root removed
- 1 large handful of bean sprouts
- Soy sauce to taste
- 8 nice iceberg lettuce leaves
- ½ bunch of basil
- ½ bunch of mint
- 2 limes cut in quarters
- Sift the rice flour and turmeric, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl. Stir in the coconut milk, sunflower oil and water until well combined and the batter is smooth with a pouring cream consistency.
- Stir fry the chicken thigh meat in a little sesame oil with a little of the garlic and ginger until just cooked and set aside. Then stir fry the spring onion; beans sprouts with the remaining garlic and ginger add the prawns and the cooked chicken thigh and season with soy sauce and set aside, keeping warm.
- In a large non-stick large fry pan or well-seasoned wok heat two tablespoons of sunflower oil. Pour in enough batter to make a nice thick pancake, swirling the batter around the pan to make an even thickness, let this cook on one side for about 3-5 minutes until golden and crispy. (You can make large ones or small ones. To share or individually)
- Add enough filling to one half of the pancake. Then fold over the unfilled portion and serve with a lettuce leaf cup and the fresh herbs. The Idea is to make your own lettuce pocket filled with the pancake and the herbs and a squeeze of lime.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...