Crispy Vietnamese PancakeBen O'Donoghue
- 350gm rice flour
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 750ml coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons of sunflower, plus extra for cooking pancakes
- 250ml of water plus extra if required to make the batter smooth
- 2 teaspoons of sesame oil
- 4 chicken thighs de-skinned, boned and diced
- 1 packet of cooked prawns
- 1 teaspoon of finely grated ginger
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 slice brown onion
- 3 bunches of spring onions sliced on a long diagonal root removed
- 1 large handful of bean sprouts
- Soy sauce to taste
- 8 nice iceberg lettuce leaves
- ½ bunch of basil
- ½ bunch of mint
- 2 limes cut in quarters
- Sift the rice flour and turmeric, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl. Stir in the coconut milk, sunflower oil and water until well combined and the batter is smooth with a pouring cream consistency.
- Stir fry the chicken thigh meat in a little sesame oil with a little of the garlic and ginger until just cooked and set aside. Then stir fry the spring onion; beans sprouts with the remaining garlic and ginger add the prawns and the cooked chicken thigh and season with soy sauce and set aside, keeping warm.
- In a large non-stick large fry pan or well-seasoned wok heat two tablespoons of sunflower oil. Pour in enough batter to make a nice thick pancake, swirling the batter around the pan to make an even thickness, let this cook on one side for about 3-5 minutes until golden and crispy. (You can make large ones or small ones. To share or individually)
- Add enough filling to one half of the pancake. Then fold over the unfilled portion and serve with a lettuce leaf cup and the fresh herbs. The Idea is to make your own lettuce pocket filled with the pancake and the herbs and a squeeze of lime.
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...