Crispy Vietnamese PancakeBen O'Donoghue
- 350gm rice flour
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 750ml coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons of sunflower, plus extra for cooking pancakes
- 250ml of water plus extra if required to make the batter smooth
- 2 teaspoons of sesame oil
- 4 chicken thighs de-skinned, boned and diced
- 1 packet of cooked prawns
- 1 teaspoon of finely grated ginger
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 slice brown onion
- 3 bunches of spring onions sliced on a long diagonal root removed
- 1 large handful of bean sprouts
- Soy sauce to taste
- 8 nice iceberg lettuce leaves
- ½ bunch of basil
- ½ bunch of mint
- 2 limes cut in quarters
- Sift the rice flour and turmeric, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl. Stir in the coconut milk, sunflower oil and water until well combined and the batter is smooth with a pouring cream consistency.
- Stir fry the chicken thigh meat in a little sesame oil with a little of the garlic and ginger until just cooked and set aside. Then stir fry the spring onion; beans sprouts with the remaining garlic and ginger add the prawns and the cooked chicken thigh and season with soy sauce and set aside, keeping warm.
- In a large non-stick large fry pan or well-seasoned wok heat two tablespoons of sunflower oil. Pour in enough batter to make a nice thick pancake, swirling the batter around the pan to make an even thickness, let this cook on one side for about 3-5 minutes until golden and crispy. (You can make large ones or small ones. To share or individually)
- Add enough filling to one half of the pancake. Then fold over the unfilled portion and serve with a lettuce leaf cup and the fresh herbs. The Idea is to make your own lettuce pocket filled with the pancake and the herbs and a squeeze of lime.
Ingredients: 9 cherry tomatoes, halved 1 small garlic clove, thinly sliced 2 tsp good-quality olive oil 1 tsp balsamic vinegar 5 basil leaves, torn, plus a few extra to serve if you like 5 pitted olives, sliced 2 large free-range egg 1 tsp small capers, rinsed salt...
Ingredients: Leftover Spaghetti Bolognese Sliced white bread Mozzarella Smoked mozzarella Grated Parmesan Butter Olive oil Mayo Pesto Salt and pepper Method: Place a scoop of pasta on one side of the bread. Then grate up your 3 cheeses and place on the other side of...
Ingredients: 250g Walnuts 250g Hazelnuts 250g Macadamia nuts 125g Pumpkin seeds 125g Sunflower seeds 60g Butter, unsalted 2 Tbsp Honey, Mr Noons honeycomb 1 Tsp Cayenne pepper 2 Tbsp Rosemary, finely chopped 1 Tbsp Cognac Method: Preheat oven to 180* Prepare...
Client - That’s Amore Cheese Typically from Puglia, this fresh creamy cheese has gained more and more popularity in the past few years, not only in Italy but overseas. Burrata is a fresh, handmade cow's milk cheese made from mozzarella and cream and it can be used in...
Ingredients: 150g guanciale, diced 3 eggs, whisked 200g pecorino cheese, grated Black pepper Salt Method: Add salt to a pot of water, and bring to a boil. Cook your pasta until al dente In a frying pan, add the guanciale on low heat and allow it to render out the...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...