Fried Squid with Rocket and BalsamicTobie Puttock
- Approx 150g cleaned squid sliced into 5mm rings
- Seasoned plain flour
- Frying oil
- 4x handfuls of rocket
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ teaspoon of English mustard
- About 150ml olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- Pop the egg yolk into a mixing bowl, add the mustard and start to whisk. Slowly add the olive oil a little at a time, make sure the olive oil has been absorbed before you add more.
- Once all the olive oil has been added you should have a thick mayonnaise sort of consistency.
- Splash in balsamic to taste. I normally put about a tablespoon.
- The dressing should be a pouring crème consistency but if it’s too thick, slowly whisk in a little warm water until the consistency is right.
- Season to taste and serve with leaves or even fish. It should keep up to 24hours covered in the fridge.
- Heat the oil to 165-175C.
- Dust the squid in the flour in a sieve and shake out any excess flour, carefully submerge the squid into the oil and fry until golden and crispy. Remove and strain well. Pop the golden squid into a bowl and toss with a pinch of salt.
- Carefully toss the rocket with the dressing and arrange on a plate.
- Place the crispy squid on top of the rocket and serve.
Ingredients: 300ml milk, plus extra 7g sachet of dried yeast 25g white caster sugar 50g shortening or lard 425g plain flour, plus extra 20g polenta, optional Unsalted butter Method: Gently warm the milk in a pan until lukewarm or body temperature, 37ºC. Add the yeast...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Ingredients: 1 medium cauliflower, leaves and stalk trimmed, cut into wedges 400g can lentils, drained and rinsed 1 small white onion, thinly sliced Juice of 1/2 lemon 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin...
Ingredients:For Dough: 500g plain flour 190g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes ½ tsp salt 60ml warm water 1 egg, at room temperature and whisked For Filling: 600g smoked ham, diced 200g mozzarella, diced 200g cheddar, diced 200g brown onion, diced 80g...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Massel Ingredients: 500g gnocchi 2 potatoes, diced 1 clove of garlic, chopped 1 tsp dried chillies 1 leek, sliced 2 rosemary sprigs 100g pancetta, rind removed and diced 500ml Massel Veg Stock Method:...
Ingredients: 1 head cauliflower, cut into pieces 1 green banana chilli, sliced 1 bunch mint, picked 1 cup Indian style yoghurt Pinch of sea salt flakes ½ tsp garam masala powder ¼ tsp dry mango powder ¼ tsp fenugreek powder Vegetable oil for frying Method: Fry...
Ingredients: 500g good quality spaghettini Table salt (for pasta water) 8 birdseye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped ½ bunch flat leaf parsley, washed and chopped finely, stem and leaf 250ml olive oil Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste A...