Fried Squid with Rocket and BalsamicTobie Puttock
- Approx 150g cleaned squid sliced into 5mm rings
- Seasoned plain flour
- Frying oil
- 4x handfuls of rocket
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ teaspoon of English mustard
- About 150ml olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- Pop the egg yolk into a mixing bowl, add the mustard and start to whisk. Slowly add the olive oil a little at a time, make sure the olive oil has been absorbed before you add more.
- Once all the olive oil has been added you should have a thick mayonnaise sort of consistency.
- Splash in balsamic to taste. I normally put about a tablespoon.
- The dressing should be a pouring crème consistency but if it’s too thick, slowly whisk in a little warm water until the consistency is right.
- Season to taste and serve with leaves or even fish. It should keep up to 24hours covered in the fridge.
- Heat the oil to 165-175C.
- Dust the squid in the flour in a sieve and shake out any excess flour, carefully submerge the squid into the oil and fry until golden and crispy. Remove and strain well. Pop the golden squid into a bowl and toss with a pinch of salt.
- Carefully toss the rocket with the dressing and arrange on a plate.
- Place the crispy squid on top of the rocket and serve.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...