Fried Squid with Rocket and BalsamicTobie Puttock
- Approx 150g cleaned squid sliced into 5mm rings
- Seasoned plain flour
- Frying oil
- 4x handfuls of rocket
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ teaspoon of English mustard
- About 150ml olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- Pop the egg yolk into a mixing bowl, add the mustard and start to whisk. Slowly add the olive oil a little at a time, make sure the olive oil has been absorbed before you add more.
- Once all the olive oil has been added you should have a thick mayonnaise sort of consistency.
- Splash in balsamic to taste. I normally put about a tablespoon.
- The dressing should be a pouring crème consistency but if it’s too thick, slowly whisk in a little warm water until the consistency is right.
- Season to taste and serve with leaves or even fish. It should keep up to 24hours covered in the fridge.
- Heat the oil to 165-175C.
- Dust the squid in the flour in a sieve and shake out any excess flour, carefully submerge the squid into the oil and fry until golden and crispy. Remove and strain well. Pop the golden squid into a bowl and toss with a pinch of salt.
- Carefully toss the rocket with the dressing and arrange on a plate.
- Place the crispy squid on top of the rocket and serve.
Ingredients: 250g fresh pasta 3 large free range eggs 40g parmigiano cheese 150g smoked pancetta / guanciale Sea salt flakes Black pepper Method: In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, parmigiano cheese, salt and pepper. In the meantime, place the diced pancetta into a fry...
Ingredients: Makes 12-24 Leftover Lasagne ¼ cup plain flour 2 eggs 1-2 cups Panko crumbs Anchovy Mayonnaise 1 large egg yolk 1 tsp Dijon mustard ½ tsp lemon zest 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 cup light extra virgin olive oil 6-7 anchovy fillets in oil, drained, finely chopped...
Ingredients: This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian Inspirations Serves 2 240g cabbage (finely chopped) 80g spring onion (finely chopped) 160g squid tube (finely chopped) 3 tbsp vegetable oil Batter: 120g plain flour 1 tsp baking powder 4 eggs 2 tsp...
Ingredients: 2 brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, finely diced 2 celery sticks, finely diced 100g pancetta, finely diced 4 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 4 fresh bay leaves 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped 1/4 bunch sage, finely chopped 150g...
Ingredients: 110g Safcol Sardines in Springwater, drained 2 tbsp oil 1 clove garlic, sliced 2 slices ginger, julienned 2 spring onions, cut to 2cm lengths 1 tbsp brandy (you may substitute this with Chinese cooking wine) 2 tsp black bean sauce (available in the Asian...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 500g Red chilli 125g Red onion 25g garlic cloves 250ml lime juice 125ml fish sauce 125g sugar caster 50ml soy sauce 50ml rice vinegar Method: Blitz red chilli, onion and garlic in the robo-coup on pulse setting, it should still be quite coarse...