Galatopita (Greek Custard Pie)Kathy Tsaples
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups white sugar
- 3 litres of milk
- Pinch of salt
- 120g butter
- 2 cups semolina
- 15 sheets of fillo pastry
- 150g butter melted (approx.)
- Icing sugar + cinnamon to serve
- Separate egg yolks from whites
- Add vanilla extract to egg yolks and whisk, whilst gradually adding sugar
- Add two ladles of milk to the egg yolk mixture and continue whisking
- Warm milk in a pot over the stove, and add a pinch of salt
- Once warm, add egg and sugar mixture and continue whisking over the stove
- Continue stirring and after about 5 or 10 minutes, slowly add in semolina
- Continue whisking until mixture has thickened to a custard like consistency
- Once custard has started to bubble, add in the butter and continue whisking
- Once the butter has melted into the custard, turn off the heat and remove
- In your baking dish, brush the base with a generous amount of butter, and begin laying down the fillo, alternating between central pieces, and some hanging off each edge so you have over-hang to then fold onto the top of the pita. Alternate each side of your tray and brush butter in between each sheet of pastry
- Top with the custard
- Fold the edges of the fillo over the custard in a twisting motion until the whole tray has been folded in and the custard is tucked neatly into the fillo
- Bake at 180 for approx. 45 minutes, or until the custard is golden brown on the top
- Once out of the oven, dust with icing sugar and cinnamon before serving
Ingredients: 185 g dates 1 cup water 60g butter 2 eggs 185g self raising flour 185g sugar 1tsp baking powder ½ tsp vanilla paste Butterscotch Sauce: 1 cup cream ¾ cup brown sugar 2 tbsp butter Pinch of salt Method: Bring the dates and water to a boil, then remove from...
Ingredients: 4 Lady Finger Bananas Woodchips for smoking in a fire or hibachi Dulce De Leche Creme: 2 Tbsp Dulce de leche 200ml Cream Chocolate Sauce: 150ml full-fat milk 150ml double cream 300g dark chocolate, broken into pieces 1 tsp vanilla extract To Serve: 1 tbsp...
Ingredients: 3 eggs, separated 6 tbsp caster sugar 500 g mascarpone cream 500ml espresso coffee 80ml marsala 500g savoiardi biscotti ( 1 large packet ) Dark chocolate, to grate Cocoa powder, to dust Method: Beat the egg yolks and half the sugar in a bowl for 5 minutes...
Ingredients: 1 pear, peeled and cored, diced 1 tsp ground cinnamon 125g unsalted butter ½ cup caster sugar 2 eggs 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking powder Salt Streusal Crumb: 40g unsalted butter, chilled, diced 1/3 cup plain flour 2 Tbsp caster sugar Salt Method:...
Ingredients: 2 eggs 1 cup sugar ¾ cup vegetable oil 1 tsp vanilla essence 2 cups grated carrot 1 ¼ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking soda 2-3 tsp cinnamon 2-3 tsp mixed spice ½ tsp salt Lime Cream Cheese: 200g cream cheese, room temperature 1 ½ cups icing sugar, sifted...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 ¼ cup Nutella 8 thick slices of brioche 3 eggs ¼ cup milk 1 vanilla bean, scraped 40g butter 2 lady finger bananas 2 Tablespoons caster sugar 160g unsalted butter ¼ cup pistachios, chopped ¼ cup maple syrup Edible flowers to garnish Ice cream to...