Galatopita (Greek Custard Pie)Kathy Tsaples
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups white sugar
- 3 litres of milk
- Pinch of salt
- 120g butter
- 2 cups semolina
- 15 sheets of fillo pastry
- 150g butter melted (approx.)
- Icing sugar + cinnamon to serve
- Separate egg yolks from whites
- Add vanilla extract to egg yolks and whisk, whilst gradually adding sugar
- Add two ladles of milk to the egg yolk mixture and continue whisking
- Warm milk in a pot over the stove, and add a pinch of salt
- Once warm, add egg and sugar mixture and continue whisking over the stove
- Continue stirring and after about 5 or 10 minutes, slowly add in semolina
- Continue whisking until mixture has thickened to a custard like consistency
- Once custard has started to bubble, add in the butter and continue whisking
- Once the butter has melted into the custard, turn off the heat and remove
- In your baking dish, brush the base with a generous amount of butter, and begin laying down the fillo, alternating between central pieces, and some hanging off each edge so you have over-hang to then fold onto the top of the pita. Alternate each side of your tray and brush butter in between each sheet of pastry
- Top with the custard
- Fold the edges of the fillo over the custard in a twisting motion until the whole tray has been folded in and the custard is tucked neatly into the fillo
- Bake at 180 for approx. 45 minutes, or until the custard is golden brown on the top
- Once out of the oven, dust with icing sugar and cinnamon before serving
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at JC’s Quality Foods Ingredients: 1 ½ cups raw cashews 1 ½ desiccated coconut 3 medium ripe bananas, peeled and chopped 10 fresh dates, pitted 2 tsp vanilla extract ⅓ cup raw cacao powder ½ tsp bicarbonate of...
Ingredients: 500g unsalted room temp butter + extra for greasing 250g self-raising flour + extra for dusting 250g golden caster sugar 5 large free-range eggs 100ml milk ½ tsp vanilla extract ½ tp baking powder 250g quality dark chocolate (70%) 100g icing sugar 300g...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at JC’s Quality Foods Ingredients: 2 cups (300g) Buckwheat flour 1 ½ cups almond meal 1 tsp ground cinnamon ½ tsp sea salt flakes ¾ cup maple syrup ½ cup vegetable oil ⅓ cup raspberry jam Method: Preheat the...
Ingredients: Oil, for frying For the Pastry: 250g plain white flour 90g cornflour 70g caster sugar 3g sea salt 70g cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces 10ml cider vinegar 120g water For the Filling: 4 Granny Smiths apples, peeled, cored & roughly chopped 65g...
Ingredients:Makes 12 donuts Oil, for frying For the Dough: 1 cup lukewarm milk 1 tbsp dried yeast 1/3 cup caster sugar 3 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla paste 4 tbsp soft butter 4 1/4 cups plain flour For the Custard: 1/2 cup sugar 3 tbsp cornflour 2 cups milk 4 yolks 2 tsps...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 200g plain flour 100 caster sugar 200ml milk, full fat 1 whole egg 1 egg yolk 50g butter Icing sugar, for dusting For Bananas: 75g caster sugar 30g butter, salted Banana...