Galatopita (Greek Custard Pie)Kathy Tsaples
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups white sugar
- 3 litres of milk
- Pinch of salt
- 120g butter
- 2 cups semolina
- 15 sheets of fillo pastry
- 150g butter melted (approx.)
- Icing sugar + cinnamon to serve
- Separate egg yolks from whites
- Add vanilla extract to egg yolks and whisk, whilst gradually adding sugar
- Add two ladles of milk to the egg yolk mixture and continue whisking
- Warm milk in a pot over the stove, and add a pinch of salt
- Once warm, add egg and sugar mixture and continue whisking over the stove
- Continue stirring and after about 5 or 10 minutes, slowly add in semolina
- Continue whisking until mixture has thickened to a custard like consistency
- Once custard has started to bubble, add in the butter and continue whisking
- Once the butter has melted into the custard, turn off the heat and remove
- In your baking dish, brush the base with a generous amount of butter, and begin laying down the fillo, alternating between central pieces, and some hanging off each edge so you have over-hang to then fold onto the top of the pita. Alternate each side of your tray and brush butter in between each sheet of pastry
- Top with the custard
- Fold the edges of the fillo over the custard in a twisting motion until the whole tray has been folded in and the custard is tucked neatly into the fillo
- Bake at 180 for approx. 45 minutes, or until the custard is golden brown on the top
- Once out of the oven, dust with icing sugar and cinnamon before serving
Banana Breakfast Bar
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at JC’s Quality Foods Ingredients: 1 ½ cups raw cashews 1 ½ desiccated coconut 3 medium ripe bananas, peeled and chopped 10 fresh dates, pitted 2 tsp vanilla extract ⅓ cup raw cacao powder ½ tsp bicarbonate of...
Ingredients: 500g unsalted room temp butter + extra for greasing 250g self-raising flour + extra for dusting 250g golden caster sugar 5 large free-range eggs 100ml milk ½ tsp vanilla extract ½ tp baking powder 250g quality dark chocolate (70%) 100g icing sugar 300g...
Raspberry Grappa Jam Drops
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at JC’s Quality Foods Ingredients: 2 cups (300g) Buckwheat flour 1 ½ cups almond meal 1 tsp ground cinnamon ½ tsp sea salt flakes ¾ cup maple syrup ½ cup vegetable oil ⅓ cup raspberry jam Method: Preheat the...
Deep Fried Apple Pie
Ingredients: Oil, for frying For the Pastry: 250g plain white flour 90g cornflour 70g caster sugar 3g sea salt 70g cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces 10ml cider vinegar 120g water For the Filling: 4 Granny Smiths apples, peeled, cored & roughly chopped 65g...
Crème Brûlèe Donuts
Ingredients:Makes 12 donuts Oil, for frying For the Dough: 1 cup lukewarm milk 1 tbsp dried yeast 1/3 cup caster sugar 3 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla paste 4 tbsp soft butter 4 1/4 cups plain flour For the Custard: 1/2 cup sugar 3 tbsp cornflour 2 cups milk 4 yolks 2 tsps...
Banana Crepes with Banana Caramel
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 200g plain flour 100 caster sugar 200ml milk, full fat 1 whole egg 1 egg yolk 50g butter Icing sugar, for dusting For Bananas: 75g caster sugar 30g butter, salted Banana...