Galatopita (Greek Custard Pie)Kathy Tsaples
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups white sugar
- 3 litres of milk
- Pinch of salt
- 120g butter
- 2 cups semolina
- 15 sheets of fillo pastry
- 150g butter melted (approx.)
- Icing sugar + cinnamon to serve
- Separate egg yolks from whites
- Add vanilla extract to egg yolks and whisk, whilst gradually adding sugar
- Add two ladles of milk to the egg yolk mixture and continue whisking
- Warm milk in a pot over the stove, and add a pinch of salt
- Once warm, add egg and sugar mixture and continue whisking over the stove
- Continue stirring and after about 5 or 10 minutes, slowly add in semolina
- Continue whisking until mixture has thickened to a custard like consistency
- Once custard has started to bubble, add in the butter and continue whisking
- Once the butter has melted into the custard, turn off the heat and remove
- In your baking dish, brush the base with a generous amount of butter, and begin laying down the fillo, alternating between central pieces, and some hanging off each edge so you have over-hang to then fold onto the top of the pita. Alternate each side of your tray and brush butter in between each sheet of pastry
- Top with the custard
- Fold the edges of the fillo over the custard in a twisting motion until the whole tray has been folded in and the custard is tucked neatly into the fillo
- Bake at 180 for approx. 45 minutes, or until the custard is golden brown on the top
- Once out of the oven, dust with icing sugar and cinnamon before serving
Ingredients: Makes 28 portions 12 eggs 800gm 900gm caster sugar 675gm 68% Madagascar chocolate 675gm-unsalted butter 225gm ground macadamia meal 225gm cocoa powder 300gm macadamia nuts Method: Preheat oven to 150 degrees Grease and line sponge tray with parchment...
Ingredients: 1 cup semolina 1 cup almonds, blanched, toasted and roughly chopped 2 cups self raising flour, sifted 2 tsp baking powder Rind of 1 lemon 6 eggs 250g butter at room temp Juice of 2 oranges 2 tbsp cognac or brandy 1 cup of caster. Sugar Shredded coconut as...
Ingredients: Makes 12 ¾ cup Australian almonds 1/3 cup rolled oats 2 tbsp cacao powder ½ tsp vanilla extract 12 medjool dates 3 tbsp cacao nibs 1 tbsp Australian almond oil Method: In a food processor blend ¼ cup of the almonds until they are crushed lightly but not...
Ingredients: Makes 2 small jars of jam and nut butter Jam ¼ cup fresh Australian raspberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blackberries ¼ cup fresh Australian strawberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blueberries ¼ cup fresh Australian red seedless grapes Splash Water ¼ cup chia...
Ingredients: Serves two 1/2 cup very cold vodka Juice of two limes 2 tablespoons sugar syrup 1/2 cup fresh raspberries 1/2 cup blueberries Approx 500ml sparkling water Ice Method: Bring together the vodka, lime juice, sugar syrup, raspberries, blueberries and...
Ingredients: Serves 4 4 ice cubes 2 cups Australian watermelon 1 cup Australian pineapple 1 Australian orange 2 Australian carrots 1 tsp fresh Australian ginger ¼ cup coconut water 1 tbsp fresh Australian mint leaves Method: Place all ingredients in a blender and...