Galatopita (Greek Custard Pie)Kathy Tsaples
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups white sugar
- 3 litres of milk
- Pinch of salt
- 120g butter
- 2 cups semolina
- 15 sheets of fillo pastry
- 150g butter melted (approx.)
- Icing sugar + cinnamon to serve
- Separate egg yolks from whites
- Add vanilla extract to egg yolks and whisk, whilst gradually adding sugar
- Add two ladles of milk to the egg yolk mixture and continue whisking
- Warm milk in a pot over the stove, and add a pinch of salt
- Once warm, add egg and sugar mixture and continue whisking over the stove
- Continue stirring and after about 5 or 10 minutes, slowly add in semolina
- Continue whisking until mixture has thickened to a custard like consistency
- Once custard has started to bubble, add in the butter and continue whisking
- Once the butter has melted into the custard, turn off the heat and remove
- In your baking dish, brush the base with a generous amount of butter, and begin laying down the fillo, alternating between central pieces, and some hanging off each edge so you have over-hang to then fold onto the top of the pita. Alternate each side of your tray and brush butter in between each sheet of pastry
- Top with the custard
- Fold the edges of the fillo over the custard in a twisting motion until the whole tray has been folded in and the custard is tucked neatly into the fillo
- Bake at 180 for approx. 45 minutes, or until the custard is golden brown on the top
- Once out of the oven, dust with icing sugar and cinnamon before serving
Ingredients: Plant-based milk Chia seeds Cacao powder Maple syrup Vanilla extract or paste Method: Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. If you prefer to eat the seeds whole, you can skip the blender and combine the ingredients...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Healthy Life.Ingredients: 2 salmon fillets, skin off 1 cup edamame beans, frozen and blanched 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced thinly 1 carrot, ribboned 1 avocado, diced 1/2 bunch spring onions, sliced 1 cup cooked brown...
Ingredients: 7 gm (1 sachet) dried yeast 360 gm plain flour 55 gm (¼ cup) caster sugar 150 ml lukewarm milk 40 gm softened butter 1 egg 250 gm milk chocolate, finely chopped 190 gm crème fraîche 70 ml pouring cream For deep-frying: vegetable oil 3-4 Tim Tams, coarsely...
Ingredients: 4 cups full cream milk 1/2 cup medium-grain rice 1 + 1/2 cups of water 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 cup caster sugar 2 tbs heaped tbsp cornflour 1 Vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste Traditional topping option Greek Cinnamon to dust the top Or Lotus Biscoff...
Ingredients: 1 very ripe banana (about 120g) 3 eggs, whisked 20g scoop vanilla plant-based protein powder 2 teaspoons of maple syrup 70g (1/2cup) quartered strawberries 1 tablespoon tapioca flour 1 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil Method: SERVES 1 Place your banana in...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Healthy Life. Ingredients: 2 Bananas 300g of raw Cashews (unsalted & unroasted) 6 - 8 Pitted Dates 2 tablespoons of Cinnamon powder 2 tablespoons of Raw cacao powder Cacao Nibs Pinch of Salt Method: In a food...