Gin Cured FishMatt Wilkinson
Serves 4 as a shared dish
- 250g white fleshed fish like Blue eye, snapper, kingfish
- 2 tablespoons Four Pillars Gin Salt or salt flakes
- 75ml Four Pillars Rare Dry Gin (optional)
- 1 jar of Four Pillars Orange Marmalade or juice of 1 orange
Salsa Verde aka Green Sauce
- 4 Cornichons roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers roughly chopped
- Handful of mixed herbs: chives, dill, parsley, mint, washed and roughly chopped
- Pinch of salt
- Juice & zest of 1 lemon
- 100ml Australian olive oil
- 2 shallots
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of sugar
- 50ml Four Pillars Bloody Shiraz Gin or water
- 50ml good quality white wine vinegar
- Have the fishmonger remove any skin from the fish and ask him nicely to cut it into fat finger length strips. Mix in the salt and gin, massaging into the fish. Let sit for 1 hour in the fridge.
- To make the salsa verde, place all ingredients into a bowl and mix together, adding more olive oil if needed.
- To prepare the pickled shallots, thinly slice the shallots, then add salt and sugar and let sit in a bowl for 2-3 minutes before pouring over the liquids.
- Rinse the fish in a bowl of cold tap water, pat dry with towel then thinly slice. Just before serving, liberally add the marmalade over the fish or squeeze juice of orange over.
- To serve, spoon the salsa verde onto the bottom of a serving plate or platter. Carefully arrange the pieces of marmalade-topped gin cured fish on next. Add the pickled shallots around and serve.
Ingredients: 250g fresh pasta 3 large free range eggs 40g parmigiano cheese 150g smoked pancetta / guanciale Sea salt flakes Black pepper Method: In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, parmigiano cheese, salt and pepper. In the meantime, place the diced pancetta into a fry...
Ingredients: Makes 12-24 Leftover Lasagne ¼ cup plain flour 2 eggs 1-2 cups Panko crumbs Anchovy Mayonnaise 1 large egg yolk 1 tsp Dijon mustard ½ tsp lemon zest 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 cup light extra virgin olive oil 6-7 anchovy fillets in oil, drained, finely chopped...
Ingredients: This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian Inspirations Serves 2 240g cabbage (finely chopped) 80g spring onion (finely chopped) 160g squid tube (finely chopped) 3 tbsp vegetable oil Batter: 120g plain flour 1 tsp baking powder 4 eggs 2 tsp...
Ingredients: 2 brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, finely diced 2 celery sticks, finely diced 100g pancetta, finely diced 4 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 4 fresh bay leaves 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped 1/4 bunch sage, finely chopped 150g...
Ingredients: 110g Safcol Sardines in Springwater, drained 2 tbsp oil 1 clove garlic, sliced 2 slices ginger, julienned 2 spring onions, cut to 2cm lengths 1 tbsp brandy (you may substitute this with Chinese cooking wine) 2 tsp black bean sauce (available in the Asian...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 500g Red chilli 125g Red onion 25g garlic cloves 250ml lime juice 125ml fish sauce 125g sugar caster 50ml soy sauce 50ml rice vinegar Method: Blitz red chilli, onion and garlic in the robo-coup on pulse setting, it should still be quite coarse...