Gin Cured FishMatt Wilkinson
Serves 4 as a shared dish
- 250g white fleshed fish like Blue eye, snapper, kingfish
- 2 tablespoons Four Pillars Gin Salt or salt flakes
- 75ml Four Pillars Rare Dry Gin (optional)
- 1 jar of Four Pillars Orange Marmalade or juice of 1 orange
Salsa Verde aka Green Sauce
- 4 Cornichons roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers roughly chopped
- Handful of mixed herbs: chives, dill, parsley, mint, washed and roughly chopped
- Pinch of salt
- Juice & zest of 1 lemon
- 100ml Australian olive oil
- 2 shallots
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of sugar
- 50ml Four Pillars Bloody Shiraz Gin or water
- 50ml good quality white wine vinegar
- Have the fishmonger remove any skin from the fish and ask him nicely to cut it into fat finger length strips. Mix in the salt and gin, massaging into the fish. Let sit for 1 hour in the fridge.
- To make the salsa verde, place all ingredients into a bowl and mix together, adding more olive oil if needed.
- To prepare the pickled shallots, thinly slice the shallots, then add salt and sugar and let sit in a bowl for 2-3 minutes before pouring over the liquids.
- Rinse the fish in a bowl of cold tap water, pat dry with towel then thinly slice. Just before serving, liberally add the marmalade over the fish or squeeze juice of orange over.
- To serve, spoon the salsa verde onto the bottom of a serving plate or platter. Carefully arrange the pieces of marmalade-topped gin cured fish on next. Add the pickled shallots around and serve.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...