Ham & Cheese EmpanadasMike Reid
- 500g plain flour
- 190g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- ½ tsp salt
- 60ml warm water
- 1 egg, at room temperature and whisked
- 600g smoked ham, diced
- 200g mozzarella, diced
- 200g cheddar, diced
- 200g brown onion, diced
- 80g parmesan, grated
- ½ bunch oregano, picked and chopped
- Using a food mixer, crumb the flour and butter together until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the salt. Pour in the water and egg. Stir together until it forms a dough.
- Once it has come together into a ball, knead for 5 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 40g balls. Roll each piece out evenly into circles with a rolling pin.
- For the filling, saute the onion until nice and golden. Leave to cool slightly, before mixing through your cheeses, ham and oregano. Fill 2 to 3 tbsp inside each disc and close.
- Bake in the oven at 200* for about 12 to 15 minutes.