Hot Cross Brioche BunsLaucke Flour
- 500g Laucke Brioche Mix
- 4g Dried Yeast (supplied)
- 300g or 250g Water (50g less if using a mixer or by hand or removing the dough from the breadmaker)
- 30g Mixed Spice
- 350g Mixed Dried Fruit (if making fruited buns)
- 100g Laucke Wallaby Bakers Flour
- 30g Butter
- 5g Baking Powder
- 80 – 100mls water (Variable to adjust pipability)
Pre Bake Glaze
- 1 egg
- 50ml Milk
- Thoroughly combine egg and milk and set aside – strain just before use.
Post Bake Glaze
- 100mls Boiling Water
- 100g Castor Sugar
- Mix well with water until sugar is dissolved
- Combine the mix, yeast, spice and water in the breadmaker bowl in the order preferred by the manufacturer or into the bowl of a mixer with the dough hook attached. If the dough is not being baked in the bread maker or is being mixed by hand reduce the water by 50 mls.
- If mixing by hand it may take 10 – 15 minutes to achieve a nice smooth well developed dough.
- If mixing by bench top mixer you should mix until you have a smooth shiny dough which will leave the sides of the bowl very clean. If your mixer is capable you can use medium to high speed.
- If using the dried fruit add to the breadmaker 10 minutes before the end of mixing otherwise mix in on slow speed or mix in by hand until evenly distributed. Also remember to leave 50 ml water out if not baking in the breadmaker.
- When the dough mixed, tip it onto a floured surface and divide the dough into 80 g pieces if leaving plain or 100 g if fruited. Shape them as you wish and place on papered or greased trays leaving sufficient space for them to rise. If making a loaf shape to the length of the pre oiled pan and place the dough in. Gently flattening and rolling the dough up will provide a better loaf.
- Find a warm place to allow the buns to rise, keep them covered. Or uncovered in your oven (not turned on) with a baking dish full of boiled water is a good proofer.
- Allow the dough buns to almost double in size and then using a piping bag with a nozzle to suit the thickness of cross you wish to apply, pipe crosses on top of the buns.
- Then spray with the prepared glaze. If you do not have a spray bottle brush with glaze prior to crossing.
- Turn oven on to 180°C. If oven is slow to heat up allow 10 minutes otherwise place tray/s in oven.
- Bake for approximately 15 – 25 minutes to desired colour. A loaf will take 35 – 40 minutes.
- Glaze using the Post Bake Glaze as soon as you remove from the oven.
- Brioche can be formed and baked many different ways using different tins, moulds and even free form or plaits.
- This complete dough would be suitable for baking in a large bread pan but would need to be baked for 45 – 50 minutes.
- The best way to tell if Brioche is baked is to look for an even golden colour. It may be necessary to turn the trays in the oven to get even browning.
- For an added effect after baking, brush the tops with melted butter.
Ingredients: Serves 12 3 cups wholegrain spelt flour 2 tsp baking powder 1 cup rapadura sugar 2 tsp ground cinnamon 1 tsp natural salt flakes 4 free-range eggs 300ml extra virgin olive oil 1/3 cup pure maple syrup 2 tbsp natural vanilla extract 4 medium carrots,...
Ingredients: Dough 2 x cups flour ¼ cup white sugar 1tbsp baking powder 1 egg 100g butter 2/3 cup cream Filling 10x peaches pitted and sliced ¼ cup corn flour 2 tbsp soft brown sugar ½ tsp cinnamon Method: Toss all the peaches, corn flour, sugar and cinnamon in to a...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Flesh of 1 ripe Australian avocado 6 Medjool dates, pitted ¼ cup cacao powder ½ tsp vanilla extract Pinch sea salt To serve ¼ cup fresh Australian raspberries 1 tsp cacao nibs (optional) 1 sprig of fresh Australian mint Method: Place all...
Ingredients: Serves 2 60ml tequila 1 Lime, halved SodaStream Ginger Beer Syrup SodaStream Carbonated Water Ice Lime slices for garnish Method: Line the glasses with lime juice and salt. Add crushed ice to the serving glasses followed by tequila, SodaStream ginger beer...
Ingredients: Roasted bananas 300g Vanilla 1g Butter 112g Brown sugar 250g Eggs 100g Flour 275g Baking powder 10g Sea salt 5g Whipped Maple Butter Unsalted butter 250g Maple syrup 80g Sea salt 3g Method: Spread vanilla onto bananas, and roast in an oven at 180⁰c for 10...
Ingredients: Two servings Gin SodaStream Lemonade Syrup Approx 500ml Sodastream Carbonated Water 2 tarragon sprigs 1/2 lemon, finely sliced Ice Method: Fill the serving glasses with ice. Add lemonade syrup and top up with carbonated water Add the tarragon and lemon...