Mushroom TartKathy Tsaples
- 100g coarse polenta
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup boiling Massel stock
- 50g self raising flour
- 15ml sunflower oil
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- Butter for greasing
Mushroom and Spinach Filling
- 50g butter
- 3 sprigs lemon thyme, plus extra to garnish
- Handful of whole button mushrooms
- Handful of small Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
- 3 pine mushrooms, sliced (or any other mushroom)
- Salt pepper
- 1 onion, grated or finely diced
- 500g baby spinach leaves
- 100g kasseri cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced.
- To make the base, put the polenta and salt in a large bowl and add the boiling water. Stir vigorously to prevent lumps forming. When smooth add the flour, oil and baking powder, and mix to combine, ensuring there are no lumps.
- Meanwhile, prepare the mushrooms. Heat the butter with the lemon thyme in a frypan large enough to hold the mushrooms without crowding. Once the pan is hot, add all the mushrooms and cook quickly to sear them. Season the mushrooms and set aside to cool.
- Clean the frypan, then sauté the onions with the olive oil until soft and translucent. Put the washed baby spinach in a bowl and pour the hot onion mixture over it. Season with salt and pepper and toss well, until the leaves have started to wilt.
- Thoroughly butter the flan tin. Take the dough and, with wet hands, mould and spread it over the bottom of the tin and up the sides. The dough is a wet dough, so take your time, have a bowl of water ready to regularly wet your hands, and ensure the dough is evenly distributed over the base and sides of the tin. It should be about 0.5 centimetres thick. Neaten the edges with a knife or your fingers.
- Beat the eggs with the milk until combined. Add the salt and the pepper and mix through.
- Arrange the spinach and onion mixture in the bottom of one of the tins. Spread the mushrooms evenly over the spinach. Pour half of the custard into the tin.
- Bake tart for 30 mins and remove from oven. Immediately shave the kasseri cheese over the top of the spinach and mushroom tart, and sprinkle with the thyme leaves.
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...