Mushroom TartKathy Tsaples
- 100g coarse polenta
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup boiling Massel stock
- 50g self raising flour
- 15ml sunflower oil
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- Butter for greasing
Mushroom and Spinach Filling
- 50g butter
- 3 sprigs lemon thyme, plus extra to garnish
- Handful of whole button mushrooms
- Handful of small Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
- 3 pine mushrooms, sliced (or any other mushroom)
- Salt pepper
- 1 onion, grated or finely diced
- 500g baby spinach leaves
- 100g kasseri cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced.
- To make the base, put the polenta and salt in a large bowl and add the boiling water. Stir vigorously to prevent lumps forming. When smooth add the flour, oil and baking powder, and mix to combine, ensuring there are no lumps.
- Meanwhile, prepare the mushrooms. Heat the butter with the lemon thyme in a frypan large enough to hold the mushrooms without crowding. Once the pan is hot, add all the mushrooms and cook quickly to sear them. Season the mushrooms and set aside to cool.
- Clean the frypan, then sauté the onions with the olive oil until soft and translucent. Put the washed baby spinach in a bowl and pour the hot onion mixture over it. Season with salt and pepper and toss well, until the leaves have started to wilt.
- Thoroughly butter the flan tin. Take the dough and, with wet hands, mould and spread it over the bottom of the tin and up the sides. The dough is a wet dough, so take your time, have a bowl of water ready to regularly wet your hands, and ensure the dough is evenly distributed over the base and sides of the tin. It should be about 0.5 centimetres thick. Neaten the edges with a knife or your fingers.
- Beat the eggs with the milk until combined. Add the salt and the pepper and mix through.
- Arrange the spinach and onion mixture in the bottom of one of the tins. Spread the mushrooms evenly over the spinach. Pour half of the custard into the tin.
- Bake tart for 30 mins and remove from oven. Immediately shave the kasseri cheese over the top of the spinach and mushroom tart, and sprinkle with the thyme leaves.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...