Mushroom TartKathy Tsaples
- 100g coarse polenta
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup boiling Massel stock
- 50g self raising flour
- 15ml sunflower oil
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- Butter for greasing
Mushroom and Spinach Filling
- 50g butter
- 3 sprigs lemon thyme, plus extra to garnish
- Handful of whole button mushrooms
- Handful of small Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
- 3 pine mushrooms, sliced (or any other mushroom)
- Salt pepper
- 1 onion, grated or finely diced
- 500g baby spinach leaves
- 100g kasseri cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced.
- To make the base, put the polenta and salt in a large bowl and add the boiling water. Stir vigorously to prevent lumps forming. When smooth add the flour, oil and baking powder, and mix to combine, ensuring there are no lumps.
- Meanwhile, prepare the mushrooms. Heat the butter with the lemon thyme in a frypan large enough to hold the mushrooms without crowding. Once the pan is hot, add all the mushrooms and cook quickly to sear them. Season the mushrooms and set aside to cool.
- Clean the frypan, then sauté the onions with the olive oil until soft and translucent. Put the washed baby spinach in a bowl and pour the hot onion mixture over it. Season with salt and pepper and toss well, until the leaves have started to wilt.
- Thoroughly butter the flan tin. Take the dough and, with wet hands, mould and spread it over the bottom of the tin and up the sides. The dough is a wet dough, so take your time, have a bowl of water ready to regularly wet your hands, and ensure the dough is evenly distributed over the base and sides of the tin. It should be about 0.5 centimetres thick. Neaten the edges with a knife or your fingers.
- Beat the eggs with the milk until combined. Add the salt and the pepper and mix through.
- Arrange the spinach and onion mixture in the bottom of one of the tins. Spread the mushrooms evenly over the spinach. Pour half of the custard into the tin.
- Bake tart for 30 mins and remove from oven. Immediately shave the kasseri cheese over the top of the spinach and mushroom tart, and sprinkle with the thyme leaves.
Ingredients: 1 1⁄2 kg round steak, cleaned and cut into cubes 3 cans of roma tomatoes, crushed by hand 1 onion, finely diced 2-3 cloves of garlic 1⁄2 cup of olive oil, plus an additional 2 tbsp 1tbsp red wine vinegar 1L water or chicken stock (optional) 1tbsp tomato...
Ingredients: 1.5 kg green beans 3 potatoes 1 can of crushed tomatoes 1 tbsp tomato paste 2 onions, chopped 1 cup of olive oil 3 cups of Massel stock 1 cup of parsley finely chopped 1 tbsp sweet paprika Salt Pepper Method: Slice the tops off the green beans and string...
Ingredients: 500gm macaroni pasta 1 cup diced tomato Cheese sauce 500g monterey jack cheese 500ml cream 500ml milk 160gm butter 100gm flour 500ml beer Chilli flakes Salt and pepper 3/4 cup bread crumbs 2 tbsp melted butter 2 spring onion finely sliced Method: Cheese...
Ingredients: Serves 4 Hummus 1 Australian beetroot 4 Australian chestnuts 1 tin chickpeas 2 tbsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Freshly squeezed juice from 1 ½ Australian lemons 1 clove Australian garlic 2 tbsp unhulled tahini ½ tsp cumin Pinch sea salt Cracked...
Ingredients: 4× 150g veal rib-eye steaks 4 cups cornflakes 100g parmesan, finely grated 1 cup plain flour 1 egg 200ml milk 100g butter 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sunflower oil 12 sage leaves 8 anchovy fillets Bunch of wild rocket, to garnish Salsa 1 large red capsicum 2 ripe...
Ingredients: Ribeye steak Salt Pepper 100g butter, softened 1 orange, zest 1 tsp thyme 50g hazelnuts, roasted 80g Blue cheese Method: Liberally season your steak with salt and pepper and cook to your liking, turning regularly. Rest for half of the cook time. Combine...