Octopus, Mandarins, Oregano and OlivesElena Duggan
- 1kg Octopus, cleaned and prepared by fishmonger
- 300g White wine, dry
- 300g Water
- 3 Bay leaves
- 10 Black peppercorns
- 1 Lemon, rind only, shaved, juice reserved
- 1tsp/ 10g Murray River salt
- 100g Black olives, pitted and drained
- 3 Mandarins, segmented, reserve rind
- 1 bunch Thyme, leaves only
- 1 bunch Oregano, leaves only
- 50g Honey, optional
- 50g EVOO, additional to serve
- Place octopus in a medium to large saucepan with wine, water, salt, lemon and mandarin rind, bay leaves, one third of the oregano, one third of the thyme. Weigh octopus down with a plate if necessary to submerge octopus.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a low simmer. Octopus should cook for approximately 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove the saucepan from heat and allow octopus and liquid to cool.
- Remove octopus and cut into 10cm pieces. Toss octopus through EVOO.
- Preheat barbecue to high heat.
- Whilst barbecue is heating up, prepare the dehydrated olives. Ensure olives are drained well and pat dry if necessary. Place paper towel on the bottom of a microwave safe plate or bowl. Microwave on high one minute at a time, checking in between until olives are dehydrated or shriveled by approximately one third – approximately 5 separate minutes. Finely dice on a chopping board until a fine crumb. Return to paper towel in microwave for a further minute if you’d prefer a drier crumb. Set aside.
- Grill octopus pieces turning two or three times over 4-5minutes. A slight char is desired on the surface of the octopus.
- Toss mandarin, herbs and octopus together and place on a serving platter. Drizzle over honey, squeeze over lemon and scatter over olive crumb. Drizzle over olive oil immediately before serving to ensure octopus is glistening.
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Low fructose/ sugar free (optional)
- Nut free
- Dairy free
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...