Octopus, Mandarins, Oregano and OlivesElena Duggan
- 1kg Octopus, cleaned and prepared by fishmonger
- 300g White wine, dry
- 300g Water
- 3 Bay leaves
- 10 Black peppercorns
- 1 Lemon, rind only, shaved, juice reserved
- 1tsp/ 10g Murray River salt
- 100g Black olives, pitted and drained
- 3 Mandarins, segmented, reserve rind
- 1 bunch Thyme, leaves only
- 1 bunch Oregano, leaves only
- 50g Honey, optional
- 50g EVOO, additional to serve
- Place octopus in a medium to large saucepan with wine, water, salt, lemon and mandarin rind, bay leaves, one third of the oregano, one third of the thyme. Weigh octopus down with a plate if necessary to submerge octopus.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a low simmer. Octopus should cook for approximately 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove the saucepan from heat and allow octopus and liquid to cool.
- Remove octopus and cut into 10cm pieces. Toss octopus through EVOO.
- Preheat barbecue to high heat.
- Whilst barbecue is heating up, prepare the dehydrated olives. Ensure olives are drained well and pat dry if necessary. Place paper towel on the bottom of a microwave safe plate or bowl. Microwave on high one minute at a time, checking in between until olives are dehydrated or shriveled by approximately one third – approximately 5 separate minutes. Finely dice on a chopping board until a fine crumb. Return to paper towel in microwave for a further minute if you’d prefer a drier crumb. Set aside.
- Grill octopus pieces turning two or three times over 4-5minutes. A slight char is desired on the surface of the octopus.
- Toss mandarin, herbs and octopus together and place on a serving platter. Drizzle over honey, squeeze over lemon and scatter over olive crumb. Drizzle over olive oil immediately before serving to ensure octopus is glistening.
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Low fructose/ sugar free (optional)
- Nut free
- Dairy free
Ingredients: 2 cup caster sugar 2 cups soy sauce 1 cup shao-hsing wine 3L water 2 inch piece ginger 8 cloves garlic 6 spring onions, 5cm batons 8 star anise 8 coriander seeds 4 cinnamon quills 4 cloves 2 pork trotters Method: Place an even layer of sugar in a large...
Ingredients: 2 cups of black-eyed beans 1 bunch of English spinach (or baby spinach, if preferred), Roughly chopped and thoroughly washed 6 spring onions, finely chopped 1 onion, sliced 1/2 cup of olive oil 1 tbsp white wine vinegar juice of 1 lemon a few sprigs of...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Let's Go Motorhomes and Big4 Holiday Parks Assortment of Sausages 100ml Mayonnaise ½ bulb of roasted black garlic ½ lemon juiced Long metal skewers Method: Grill your sausages on your bbq until...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Asian InspirationsSalmon: 200g Fresh Australian salmon, skin on, pin bones removed 50ml Vegetable oil Miso Glaze: 50g White miso paste 50ml Obento Mirin Seasoning 50g Sugar Togarashi Crackers: 1 each...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra 1 brown onion, finely grated 2 cloves garlic, finely grated 1g saffron threads 400g Arborio Rice ½ cup dry white wine 1.5 Litres Vegetable stock 50g unsalted butter 125g parmesan, finely grated Method:...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 800g Hanger Steak Sea Salt 1 small yellow pepper, seeds removed, roughly chopped 6 Yellow baby Tomatoes 1 small red chilli, seeds removed ½ tsp dried flaked chillies 2 Garlic cloves, peeled 20g fresh parsley, including any tender stalks 10g each...