Octopus, Mandarins, Oregano and OlivesElena Duggan
- 1kg Octopus, cleaned and prepared by fishmonger
- 300g White wine, dry
- 300g Water
- 3 Bay leaves
- 10 Black peppercorns
- 1 Lemon, rind only, shaved, juice reserved
- 1tsp/ 10g Murray River salt
- 100g Black olives, pitted and drained
- 3 Mandarins, segmented, reserve rind
- 1 bunch Thyme, leaves only
- 1 bunch Oregano, leaves only
- 50g Honey, optional
- 50g EVOO, additional to serve
- Place octopus in a medium to large saucepan with wine, water, salt, lemon and mandarin rind, bay leaves, one third of the oregano, one third of the thyme. Weigh octopus down with a plate if necessary to submerge octopus.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a low simmer. Octopus should cook for approximately 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove the saucepan from heat and allow octopus and liquid to cool.
- Remove octopus and cut into 10cm pieces. Toss octopus through EVOO.
- Preheat barbecue to high heat.
- Whilst barbecue is heating up, prepare the dehydrated olives. Ensure olives are drained well and pat dry if necessary. Place paper towel on the bottom of a microwave safe plate or bowl. Microwave on high one minute at a time, checking in between until olives are dehydrated or shriveled by approximately one third – approximately 5 separate minutes. Finely dice on a chopping board until a fine crumb. Return to paper towel in microwave for a further minute if you’d prefer a drier crumb. Set aside.
- Grill octopus pieces turning two or three times over 4-5minutes. A slight char is desired on the surface of the octopus.
- Toss mandarin, herbs and octopus together and place on a serving platter. Drizzle over honey, squeeze over lemon and scatter over olive crumb. Drizzle over olive oil immediately before serving to ensure octopus is glistening.
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Low fructose/ sugar free (optional)
- Nut free
- Dairy free
Ingredients: 4 duck breast 1 tablspoon brown sugar ½ tablespoon salt ¼ bunch thyme 1 tsp five spice butter garlic Sauce 1/3 cup sugar 1/3 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 to 2 oranges) segments of one orange 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar 1/8 teaspoon salt 2 to 4...
Ingredients: Serve 4 4 thick King salmon or Atlantic salmon Vegetable oil Lime wedges Marinade 2 pinches of salt 2 teaspoons chilli powder juice of 1 lime 1 teaspoon sugar 2 teaspoons garlic paste 2 teaspoons ginger paste Crust 180g white split peas (urad dal) 1...
Ingredients: Mornay Sauce 25gm unsalted butter 25gm Laucke plain flour 1 cup full cream milk 80gm Gruyere cheese grated Salt White pepper For the Sandwich Four thick slices white bread 100gm unsalted butter 2 tsp Dijon mustard 4 slices Gruyere cheese (80gm) 200gm...
Ingredients: 500g kangaroo sirloin cut into thin strips 2 tablespoons cornflour 2 tablespoon sunflower oil for frying 2 green capsicums – cut into strips 2 bunch of broccolini – bottom end removed and cut in half 1 bunch green onions – green and whites finely chopped...
Ingredients: Makes Two 4 rounds or Rye bread slices 300gm sliced pastrami 100gm sauerkraut 200gm comte cheese or cheddar 2 large garlic and dill pickles cut in half 4 tbsp kewpie mayo 1 tbsp hot English mustard 100gm butter soft Method: Combine the hot English mustard...
Ingredients: Serves 4 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 4 eggs separated 1 cup butter milk 1 cup ricotta 1 cup corn frozen 1 small bunch coriander leaves chopped 1 lg smashed avo 200gm chopped tomatoes 1/4 medium red onion sliced 1 clove of garlic chopped...