Octopus, Mandarins, Oregano and OlivesElena Duggan
- 1kg Octopus, cleaned and prepared by fishmonger
- 300g White wine, dry
- 300g Water
- 3 Bay leaves
- 10 Black peppercorns
- 1 Lemon, rind only, shaved, juice reserved
- 1tsp/ 10g Murray River salt
- 100g Black olives, pitted and drained
- 3 Mandarins, segmented, reserve rind
- 1 bunch Thyme, leaves only
- 1 bunch Oregano, leaves only
- 50g Honey, optional
- 50g EVOO, additional to serve
- Place octopus in a medium to large saucepan with wine, water, salt, lemon and mandarin rind, bay leaves, one third of the oregano, one third of the thyme. Weigh octopus down with a plate if necessary to submerge octopus.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a low simmer. Octopus should cook for approximately 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove the saucepan from heat and allow octopus and liquid to cool.
- Remove octopus and cut into 10cm pieces. Toss octopus through EVOO.
- Preheat barbecue to high heat.
- Whilst barbecue is heating up, prepare the dehydrated olives. Ensure olives are drained well and pat dry if necessary. Place paper towel on the bottom of a microwave safe plate or bowl. Microwave on high one minute at a time, checking in between until olives are dehydrated or shriveled by approximately one third – approximately 5 separate minutes. Finely dice on a chopping board until a fine crumb. Return to paper towel in microwave for a further minute if you’d prefer a drier crumb. Set aside.
- Grill octopus pieces turning two or three times over 4-5minutes. A slight char is desired on the surface of the octopus.
- Toss mandarin, herbs and octopus together and place on a serving platter. Drizzle over honey, squeeze over lemon and scatter over olive crumb. Drizzle over olive oil immediately before serving to ensure octopus is glistening.
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Low fructose/ sugar free (optional)
- Nut free
- Dairy free
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...