Pickling VegetablesElena Duggan
Pickling Liquid Base Ingredients
- 1L Water
- 1L White Vinegar / Apple Cider Vinegar
- 50g Salt, Murray River
- 50g Stevia Monkfruit – more if desired / honey
- 500g Cucumbers, similar length/ height of jar, quartered lengthwise
- ¼ bunch dill
- 10-25g Yellow mustard seeds
- 500g Heirloom carrots, similar length/ height of jar, quartered lengthwise
- 10-25g Fennel Seeds
- 10-25g Coriander seeds
- 500g Baby onions
- 10-25g Black Peppercorns
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
(Japanese) Pickled Ginger
- 500g Water
- 500g Rice vinegar
- 50g Salt, Murray River
- 50g Stevia Monkfruit – more if desired
- 500g Ginger, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 slices fresh beetroot, peeled, approx. 5mm discs
- Ensure all vegetables are thoroughly cleaned before beginning.
- Bring liquid ingredients to boil in a saucepan.
- Whilst waiting for the liquid to come to the boil, place vegetables in jar as tightly and aesthetically pleasing as possible, placing herbs and spices in and around.
- Once liquid has come to the boil, gently and carefully pour into jars, use a funnel if safer.
- Leave approx. 1cm space from the top before tightening lid.
- Allow thorough cooling before refrigeration.
- Pickles will be delicious after 12hrs, but will continue to get better, will last up to 4weeks in fridge.
- Utilise your favourite herbs and spices paired with your favourite vegetables
- Many sweeteners can be substituted for stevia/ monk fruit but all have different effects on the appearance of the liquid, level of sweetness and effect on your body. Honey is a great flavour but tends to make the liquid cloudy. Sugar has the most consistent results but destabilises blood sugars. Stevia seems to provide a happy medium – stable blood sugars, good colour, enjoyable sweetness.
- This is a good method for utilising plentiful, abundant and seasonal vegetables which are usually available at a cheaper price – bonus!
Health and Lifestyle Notes:
- Grain Free
- Gluten Free
- Refined Sugar Free
- Sugar Free – Low Fructose
- Dairy Free
- Paleo Friendly
- Ketogenic Friendly
- BulletProof Friendly
Ingredients: 4 duck breast 1 tablspoon brown sugar ½ tablespoon salt ¼ bunch thyme 1 tsp five spice butter garlic Sauce 1/3 cup sugar 1/3 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 to 2 oranges) segments of one orange 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar 1/8 teaspoon salt 2 to 4...
Ingredients: Serve 4 4 thick King salmon or Atlantic salmon Vegetable oil Lime wedges Marinade 2 pinches of salt 2 teaspoons chilli powder juice of 1 lime 1 teaspoon sugar 2 teaspoons garlic paste 2 teaspoons ginger paste Crust 180g white split peas (urad dal) 1...
Ingredients: Mornay Sauce 25gm unsalted butter 25gm Laucke plain flour 1 cup full cream milk 80gm Gruyere cheese grated Salt White pepper For the Sandwich Four thick slices white bread 100gm unsalted butter 2 tsp Dijon mustard 4 slices Gruyere cheese (80gm) 200gm...
Ingredients: 500g kangaroo sirloin cut into thin strips 2 tablespoons cornflour 2 tablespoon sunflower oil for frying 2 green capsicums – cut into strips 2 bunch of broccolini – bottom end removed and cut in half 1 bunch green onions – green and whites finely chopped...
Ingredients: Makes Two 4 rounds or Rye bread slices 300gm sliced pastrami 100gm sauerkraut 200gm comte cheese or cheddar 2 large garlic and dill pickles cut in half 4 tbsp kewpie mayo 1 tbsp hot English mustard 100gm butter soft Method: Combine the hot English mustard...
Ingredients: Serves 4 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 4 eggs separated 1 cup butter milk 1 cup ricotta 1 cup corn frozen 1 small bunch coriander leaves chopped 1 lg smashed avo 200gm chopped tomatoes 1/4 medium red onion sliced 1 clove of garlic chopped...