Pickling VegetablesElena Duggan
Pickling Liquid Base Ingredients
- 1L Water
- 1L White Vinegar / Apple Cider Vinegar
- 50g Salt, Murray River
- 50g Stevia Monkfruit – more if desired / honey
- 500g Cucumbers, similar length/ height of jar, quartered lengthwise
- ¼ bunch dill
- 10-25g Yellow mustard seeds
- 500g Heirloom carrots, similar length/ height of jar, quartered lengthwise
- 10-25g Fennel Seeds
- 10-25g Coriander seeds
- 500g Baby onions
- 10-25g Black Peppercorns
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
(Japanese) Pickled Ginger
- 500g Water
- 500g Rice vinegar
- 50g Salt, Murray River
- 50g Stevia Monkfruit – more if desired
- 500g Ginger, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 slices fresh beetroot, peeled, approx. 5mm discs
- Ensure all vegetables are thoroughly cleaned before beginning.
- Bring liquid ingredients to boil in a saucepan.
- Whilst waiting for the liquid to come to the boil, place vegetables in jar as tightly and aesthetically pleasing as possible, placing herbs and spices in and around.
- Once liquid has come to the boil, gently and carefully pour into jars, use a funnel if safer.
- Leave approx. 1cm space from the top before tightening lid.
- Allow thorough cooling before refrigeration.
- Pickles will be delicious after 12hrs, but will continue to get better, will last up to 4weeks in fridge.
- Utilise your favourite herbs and spices paired with your favourite vegetables
- Many sweeteners can be substituted for stevia/ monk fruit but all have different effects on the appearance of the liquid, level of sweetness and effect on your body. Honey is a great flavour but tends to make the liquid cloudy. Sugar has the most consistent results but destabilises blood sugars. Stevia seems to provide a happy medium – stable blood sugars, good colour, enjoyable sweetness.
- This is a good method for utilising plentiful, abundant and seasonal vegetables which are usually available at a cheaper price – bonus!
Health and Lifestyle Notes:
- Grain Free
- Gluten Free
- Refined Sugar Free
- Sugar Free – Low Fructose
- Dairy Free
- Paleo Friendly
- Ketogenic Friendly
- BulletProof Friendly
Ingredients: 300ml milk, plus extra 7g sachet of dried yeast 25g white caster sugar 50g shortening or lard 425g plain flour, plus extra 20g polenta, optional Unsalted butter Method: Gently warm the milk in a pan until lukewarm or body temperature, 37ºC. Add the yeast...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Ingredients: 1 medium cauliflower, leaves and stalk trimmed, cut into wedges 400g can lentils, drained and rinsed 1 small white onion, thinly sliced Juice of 1/2 lemon 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin...
Ingredients:For Dough: 500g plain flour 190g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes ½ tsp salt 60ml warm water 1 egg, at room temperature and whisked For Filling: 600g smoked ham, diced 200g mozzarella, diced 200g cheddar, diced 200g brown onion, diced 80g...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Massel Ingredients: 500g gnocchi 2 potatoes, diced 1 clove of garlic, chopped 1 tsp dried chillies 1 leek, sliced 2 rosemary sprigs 100g pancetta, rind removed and diced 500ml Massel Veg Stock Method:...
Ingredients: 1 head cauliflower, cut into pieces 1 green banana chilli, sliced 1 bunch mint, picked 1 cup Indian style yoghurt Pinch of sea salt flakes ½ tsp garam masala powder ¼ tsp dry mango powder ¼ tsp fenugreek powder Vegetable oil for frying Method: Fry...
Ingredients: 500g good quality spaghettini Table salt (for pasta water) 8 birdseye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped ½ bunch flat leaf parsley, washed and chopped finely, stem and leaf 250ml olive oil Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste A...