Pickling VegetablesElena Duggan
Pickling Liquid Base Ingredients
- 1L Water
- 1L White Vinegar / Apple Cider Vinegar
- 50g Salt, Murray River
- 50g Stevia Monkfruit – more if desired / honey
- 500g Cucumbers, similar length/ height of jar, quartered lengthwise
- ¼ bunch dill
- 10-25g Yellow mustard seeds
- 500g Heirloom carrots, similar length/ height of jar, quartered lengthwise
- 10-25g Fennel Seeds
- 10-25g Coriander seeds
- 500g Baby onions
- 10-25g Black Peppercorns
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
(Japanese) Pickled Ginger
- 500g Water
- 500g Rice vinegar
- 50g Salt, Murray River
- 50g Stevia Monkfruit – more if desired
- 500g Ginger, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 slices fresh beetroot, peeled, approx. 5mm discs
- Ensure all vegetables are thoroughly cleaned before beginning.
- Bring liquid ingredients to boil in a saucepan.
- Whilst waiting for the liquid to come to the boil, place vegetables in jar as tightly and aesthetically pleasing as possible, placing herbs and spices in and around.
- Once liquid has come to the boil, gently and carefully pour into jars, use a funnel if safer.
- Leave approx. 1cm space from the top before tightening lid.
- Allow thorough cooling before refrigeration.
- Pickles will be delicious after 12hrs, but will continue to get better, will last up to 4weeks in fridge.
- Utilise your favourite herbs and spices paired with your favourite vegetables
- Many sweeteners can be substituted for stevia/ monk fruit but all have different effects on the appearance of the liquid, level of sweetness and effect on your body. Honey is a great flavour but tends to make the liquid cloudy. Sugar has the most consistent results but destabilises blood sugars. Stevia seems to provide a happy medium – stable blood sugars, good colour, enjoyable sweetness.
- This is a good method for utilising plentiful, abundant and seasonal vegetables which are usually available at a cheaper price – bonus!
Health and Lifestyle Notes:
- Grain Free
- Gluten Free
- Refined Sugar Free
- Sugar Free – Low Fructose
- Dairy Free
- Paleo Friendly
- Ketogenic Friendly
- BulletProof Friendly
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...