Pineapple Fried RiceElena Duggan
- 1 large Pineapple
- 500g Leftover steamed/ boiled brown rice
- 50g Coconut oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- ½ bunch Spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 medium Red capsicum, finely diced
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- ½ bunch Coriander, leaves only (reserve stalks and roots for a green curry paste)
- 1 long Red chili, finely sliced, for presentation
- 1 Lime, cheeks only for presentation
- 25g Fried shallots
- Valcom Red Curry Paste OR
- 10g Turmeric or 10g curry powder
- 20g ABC Extra Hot Chilli Sauce
- 20g Obento Japanese Soy Sauce
- 20g Squid Brand Fish sauce
Protein Options (a combination is also fine)
- 250g Chicken thighs, diced, or;
- 250g Ham, diced, or;
- 250g Prawn flesh, diced
- Replace meat protein with extra eggs for vegetarian option, or tofu for vegan option in which case replace fish sauce with salt to taste.
- Preheat your fan forced oven to 130° Celsius.
- Cut pineapple in half along the length. Scoop out stringy core first and discard. Carefully scoop out almost all of the flesh, leaving shell intact with approximately 1-2 cm widths around all edges.
- Place open side up on an oven tray and gently warm through whilst cooking the fried rice – maximum 25 minutes.
- Whilst pineapple is in oven, dice remaining pineapple flesh into roughly 1.5cm cubes and set aside.
- Heat ½ coconut oil in wok to high.
- Stir-fry meat of choice and set aside.
- Stir-fry onions, capsicum, garlic, turmeric, sambal until fragrant and slightly softened, then set aside.
- Add remaining coconut oil in wok and allow returning to high heat before adding the rice. Stir while frying to ensure at least half the rice has a toasted texture and flavour.
- Add meat, pineapple and vegetable mix and stir through to combine.
- Add eggs, break up yolk and stir through.
- Add sauces and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Fill the pineapple shells with fried rice, and serve with your choice of topping, chili’s, coriander, crispy shallots and/or fresh lime.
- You can add all proteins if you wish or more eggs to increase good fats and protein.
- Feel free to make this dish your own, by adding additional diced vegies to increase nutrient density.
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Low Fructose / Minimal sugar
- Keto Friendly
- Dairy free
- Vegetarian option
- Vegan option
- Pescatarian option
Join Elena Duggan as she creates her Honey Herbed Carrots recipe. Tune in to The Market kitchen each weekday on Channel 10.
Join Khanh Ong as he creates his Lemon Grass Chicken Banh Mi recipe. Tune in to The Market kitchen each weekday on Channel 10.
Join Elena Duggan as she creates her Vegetarian Eggplant Katsu Curry on Rice recipe. Tune in to The Market kitchen each weekday on Channel 10.
Join Khanh Ong as he creates his Green Papaya & Spicy Prawn Salad recipe. Tune in to The Market kitchen each weekday on Channel 10.
Join Khanh Ong as he creates his Rosemary Lamb with Grilled Peaches recipe. Tune in to The Market kitchen each weekday on Channel 10.
Join Elena Duggan as she creates her Caramelised Onion Relish recipe. Tune in to The Market kitchen each weekday on Channel 10.