Rhubarb Crumble CakeMike Reid
- 200g butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 200g self raising flour
- 8 sticks of rhubarb
- 1 orange
- 100g plain flour
- ½ tsp ginger cinnamon
- 50g butter, diced
- 50g brown sugar
- 300ml double cream whipped
- 2 tbsp ginger syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Grease and line a loose bottom 24cm cake tin.
- In a free-standing mixer, beat the sugar and butter together until white and fluffy, add the eggs and mix in slowly, fold in the flour, and ginger syrup.
- Cut the rhubarb up and place on the tray. Sprinkle with water and add a little bit of orange zest and juice. Then pop in the oven and roast it in the over for about 10-12 minutes.
- Continue mixing the cake mix, then spoon into the tin and level off, arrange the sliced rhubarb over the top of the sponge mix.
- Mix the crumble mix together in a bowl, using your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs and then sprinkle it over the top of the rhubarb.
- Then bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- To serve, whisk up the double cream. When it’s softly whipped, pour in the ginger syrup.
- Cool then remove from the tin, sprinkle some icing sugar over the top.