Roasted Pumpkin Squash with Red Onion and PepitasCharlie Carrington
- 1kg (2 lb 3 oz) butternut squash in a 3 cm (1¼ in) dice, skin on is fine
- 3 red onions, 2 quartered and 1 sliced into 1 cm (½ in) wide wedges
- 100g (3½ oz) pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 40ml (1¼ fl oz) grape seed oil
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 50ml (1¾ fl oz) white vinegar
- 50g (1¾ oz) sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon za’atar (if you can’t find the za’atar crack some black pepper over the seeds once toasted)
- 120g (4½ oz) pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 120g (4½ oz) tahini
- juice of 2 lemons
- 40ml (1¼ fl oz) olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Line two baking trays with baking paper. Toss the diced squash in a large bowl with a little bit of grape seed oil and a pinch of salt. On one tray put the butternut squash at one end, and the red onion quarters at the other. In a bowl combine the pepitas with half of the vegetable oil, then sprinkle them over the other prepared tray as flat as possible so they cook evenly. Put both trays in your oven. After 15 minutes the seeds will be ready – take them out and let them cool to room temperature. The squash and onion mix will need a further 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan over a high heat, combine the sliced red onion, the remaining grape seed oil, sumac, vinegar and sugar. Bring it to a rapid boil then remove from the heat and let the onions cool to room temperature in the liquid.
- For the pepita tahini, blitz all the ingredients and 85 ml (2¾ oz) water at a high speed in the blender. Check the seasoning once it’s puréed – it should be acidic and delicious.
- To serve, divide the butternut squash and roasted onions evenly between plates and then pour over the pepita tahini in a wild fashion. Cover the dish with the vibrant pickled onions and sprinkle over the toasted pepitas
I’m not going to lie. For a long time I thought butternut squash was a pumpkin. It tastes and looks a lot like one, but this vine-growing squash is typically sweeter and a brighter orange than its pumpkin doppelganger. For the dressing, I’ve mixed actual pumpkin seeds with tahini, which add a nutty depth to this moreish vegetarian winner.
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...