Toasty Roasty Red SaladElena Duggan
- 3 lge Red Capsicums
- 150g Wild Red Rice
- 50g Vegetable oil with a high smoke point
- 150g Red quinoa, cooked
- 100g Red olives (Cerignola) or Kalamata, pitted and sliced
- 100g / 1 Red or Spanish onion, finely diced
- 150g Feta, crumbled, optional
- 100g EVOO
- 50g Red wine vinegar
- 25g Honey
- 10g Oregano, dried
- 10g Thyme, dried
- 5g Smoked paprika
- 5g Garlic powder
- 5g Onion powder
- Salt, to taste
- Using a wire cooling rack or metal colander, roast the capsicum over an open gas flame or barbecue, turning each minute or so until all skin is evenly charred and blackened. Once complete, place in a bowl and cover in plastic wrap or a lid. The enclosed steam will help loosen the blackened skin and allow you to easily peel or rub it off.
- While the capsicums are steaming, prepare the puffed rice. In a medium saucepan, place the vegetable oil and thoroughly toss the rice through it. Place a lid on the rice and gently shake the pot over a high heat until all the rice is evenly puffed (like popcorn).
- Once puffed, allow rice to drain and cool on paper towel.
- Whilst waiting for the capsicum and rice, prepare the dressing. Mix all ingredients together thoroughly, in a jug and season to taste.
- Allowing the dressing to sit for 15-30 minutes will increase the flavour and soften the texture of the dried herbs and spices.
- Peel skin away from capsicum flesh. Remove stalk, pith and seeds. Slice flesh into strips. Allow capsicum strips to cool while preparing the rest of the salad ingredients.
- In a bowl, toss together quinoa, olives, onions and feta. Toss ½ the dressing through these ingredients and gently place on the bottom of a presentation bowl or plate.
- Pile the strips of capsicum on top, followed by the puffed rice, drizzle over the remaining dressing and serve.
- You can add meat or vegetarian proteins if you wish increase nutrient density and satiation.
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Low Fructose / Minimal sugar
- Keto Friendly
- Dairy free
- Vegan, optional (vegan cheese or leave feta off)
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...
Ingredients: 300ml milk, plus extra 7g sachet of dried yeast 25g white caster sugar 50g shortening or lard 425g plain flour, plus extra 20g polenta, optional Unsalted butter Method: Gently warm the milk in a pan until lukewarm or body temperature, 37ºC. Add the yeast...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Ingredients: 1 medium cauliflower, leaves and stalk trimmed, cut into wedges 400g can lentils, drained and rinsed 1 small white onion, thinly sliced Juice of 1/2 lemon 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin...
Ingredients:For Dough: 500g plain flour 190g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes ½ tsp salt 60ml warm water 1 egg, at room temperature and whisked For Filling: 600g smoked ham, diced 200g mozzarella, diced 200g cheddar, diced 200g brown onion, diced 80g...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Massel Ingredients: 500g gnocchi 2 potatoes, diced 1 clove of garlic, chopped 1 tsp dried chillies 1 leek, sliced 2 rosemary sprigs 100g pancetta, rind removed and diced 500ml Massel Veg Stock Method:...