Toasty Roasty Red SaladElena Duggan
- 3 lge Red Capsicums
- 150g Wild Red Rice
- 50g Vegetable oil with a high smoke point
- 150g Red quinoa, cooked
- 100g Red olives (Cerignola) or Kalamata, pitted and sliced
- 100g / 1 Red or Spanish onion, finely diced
- 150g Feta, crumbled, optional
- 100g EVOO
- 50g Red wine vinegar
- 25g Honey
- 10g Oregano, dried
- 10g Thyme, dried
- 5g Smoked paprika
- 5g Garlic powder
- 5g Onion powder
- Salt, to taste
- Using a wire cooling rack or metal colander, roast the capsicum over an open gas flame or barbecue, turning each minute or so until all skin is evenly charred and blackened. Once complete, place in a bowl and cover in plastic wrap or a lid. The enclosed steam will help loosen the blackened skin and allow you to easily peel or rub it off.
- While the capsicums are steaming, prepare the puffed rice. In a medium saucepan, place the vegetable oil and thoroughly toss the rice through it. Place a lid on the rice and gently shake the pot over a high heat until all the rice is evenly puffed (like popcorn).
- Once puffed, allow rice to drain and cool on paper towel.
- Whilst waiting for the capsicum and rice, prepare the dressing. Mix all ingredients together thoroughly, in a jug and season to taste.
- Allowing the dressing to sit for 15-30 minutes will increase the flavour and soften the texture of the dried herbs and spices.
- Peel skin away from capsicum flesh. Remove stalk, pith and seeds. Slice flesh into strips. Allow capsicum strips to cool while preparing the rest of the salad ingredients.
- In a bowl, toss together quinoa, olives, onions and feta. Toss ½ the dressing through these ingredients and gently place on the bottom of a presentation bowl or plate.
- Pile the strips of capsicum on top, followed by the puffed rice, drizzle over the remaining dressing and serve.
- You can add meat or vegetarian proteins if you wish increase nutrient density and satiation.
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Low Fructose / Minimal sugar
- Keto Friendly
- Dairy free
- Vegan, optional (vegan cheese or leave feta off)
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...