Toasty Roasty Red SaladElena Duggan
- 3 lge Red Capsicums
- 150g Wild Red Rice
- 50g Vegetable oil with a high smoke point
- 150g Red quinoa, cooked
- 100g Red olives (Cerignola) or Kalamata, pitted and sliced
- 100g / 1 Red or Spanish onion, finely diced
- 150g Feta, crumbled, optional
- 100g EVOO
- 50g Red wine vinegar
- 25g Honey
- 10g Oregano, dried
- 10g Thyme, dried
- 5g Smoked paprika
- 5g Garlic powder
- 5g Onion powder
- Salt, to taste
- Using a wire cooling rack or metal colander, roast the capsicum over an open gas flame or barbecue, turning each minute or so until all skin is evenly charred and blackened. Once complete, place in a bowl and cover in plastic wrap or a lid. The enclosed steam will help loosen the blackened skin and allow you to easily peel or rub it off.
- While the capsicums are steaming, prepare the puffed rice. In a medium saucepan, place the vegetable oil and thoroughly toss the rice through it. Place a lid on the rice and gently shake the pot over a high heat until all the rice is evenly puffed (like popcorn).
- Once puffed, allow rice to drain and cool on paper towel.
- Whilst waiting for the capsicum and rice, prepare the dressing. Mix all ingredients together thoroughly, in a jug and season to taste.
- Allowing the dressing to sit for 15-30 minutes will increase the flavour and soften the texture of the dried herbs and spices.
- Peel skin away from capsicum flesh. Remove stalk, pith and seeds. Slice flesh into strips. Allow capsicum strips to cool while preparing the rest of the salad ingredients.
- In a bowl, toss together quinoa, olives, onions and feta. Toss ½ the dressing through these ingredients and gently place on the bottom of a presentation bowl or plate.
- Pile the strips of capsicum on top, followed by the puffed rice, drizzle over the remaining dressing and serve.
- You can add meat or vegetarian proteins if you wish increase nutrient density and satiation.
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Low Fructose / Minimal sugar
- Keto Friendly
- Dairy free
- Vegan, optional (vegan cheese or leave feta off)
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...