Toasty Roasty Red SaladElena Duggan
- 3 lge Red Capsicums
- 150g Wild Red Rice
- 50g Vegetable oil with a high smoke point
- 150g Red quinoa, cooked
- 100g Red olives (Cerignola) or Kalamata, pitted and sliced
- 100g / 1 Red or Spanish onion, finely diced
- 150g Feta, crumbled, optional
- 100g EVOO
- 50g Red wine vinegar
- 25g Honey
- 10g Oregano, dried
- 10g Thyme, dried
- 5g Smoked paprika
- 5g Garlic powder
- 5g Onion powder
- Salt, to taste
- Using a wire cooling rack or metal colander, roast the capsicum over an open gas flame or barbecue, turning each minute or so until all skin is evenly charred and blackened. Once complete, place in a bowl and cover in plastic wrap or a lid. The enclosed steam will help loosen the blackened skin and allow you to easily peel or rub it off.
- While the capsicums are steaming, prepare the puffed rice. In a medium saucepan, place the vegetable oil and thoroughly toss the rice through it. Place a lid on the rice and gently shake the pot over a high heat until all the rice is evenly puffed (like popcorn).
- Once puffed, allow rice to drain and cool on paper towel.
- Whilst waiting for the capsicum and rice, prepare the dressing. Mix all ingredients together thoroughly, in a jug and season to taste.
- Allowing the dressing to sit for 15-30 minutes will increase the flavour and soften the texture of the dried herbs and spices.
- Peel skin away from capsicum flesh. Remove stalk, pith and seeds. Slice flesh into strips. Allow capsicum strips to cool while preparing the rest of the salad ingredients.
- In a bowl, toss together quinoa, olives, onions and feta. Toss ½ the dressing through these ingredients and gently place on the bottom of a presentation bowl or plate.
- Pile the strips of capsicum on top, followed by the puffed rice, drizzle over the remaining dressing and serve.
- You can add meat or vegetarian proteins if you wish increase nutrient density and satiation.
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Low Fructose / Minimal sugar
- Keto Friendly
- Dairy free
- Vegan, optional (vegan cheese or leave feta off)
Ingredients: 4 duck breast 1 tablspoon brown sugar ½ tablespoon salt ¼ bunch thyme 1 tsp five spice butter garlic Sauce 1/3 cup sugar 1/3 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 to 2 oranges) segments of one orange 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar 1/8 teaspoon salt 2 to 4...
Ingredients: Serve 4 4 thick King salmon or Atlantic salmon Vegetable oil Lime wedges Marinade 2 pinches of salt 2 teaspoons chilli powder juice of 1 lime 1 teaspoon sugar 2 teaspoons garlic paste 2 teaspoons ginger paste Crust 180g white split peas (urad dal) 1...
Ingredients: Mornay Sauce 25gm unsalted butter 25gm Laucke plain flour 1 cup full cream milk 80gm Gruyere cheese grated Salt White pepper For the Sandwich Four thick slices white bread 100gm unsalted butter 2 tsp Dijon mustard 4 slices Gruyere cheese (80gm) 200gm...
Ingredients: 500g kangaroo sirloin cut into thin strips 2 tablespoons cornflour 2 tablespoon sunflower oil for frying 2 green capsicums – cut into strips 2 bunch of broccolini – bottom end removed and cut in half 1 bunch green onions – green and whites finely chopped...
Ingredients: Makes Two 4 rounds or Rye bread slices 300gm sliced pastrami 100gm sauerkraut 200gm comte cheese or cheddar 2 large garlic and dill pickles cut in half 4 tbsp kewpie mayo 1 tbsp hot English mustard 100gm butter soft Method: Combine the hot English mustard...
Ingredients: Serves 4 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 4 eggs separated 1 cup butter milk 1 cup ricotta 1 cup corn frozen 1 small bunch coriander leaves chopped 1 lg smashed avo 200gm chopped tomatoes 1/4 medium red onion sliced 1 clove of garlic chopped...