Toasty Roasty Red SaladElena Duggan
- 3 lge Red Capsicums
- 150g Wild Red Rice
- 50g Vegetable oil with a high smoke point
- 150g Red quinoa, cooked
- 100g Red olives (Cerignola) or Kalamata, pitted and sliced
- 100g / 1 Red or Spanish onion, finely diced
- 150g Feta, crumbled, optional
- 100g EVOO
- 50g Red wine vinegar
- 25g Honey
- 10g Oregano, dried
- 10g Thyme, dried
- 5g Smoked paprika
- 5g Garlic powder
- 5g Onion powder
- Salt, to taste
- Using a wire cooling rack or metal colander, roast the capsicum over an open gas flame or barbecue, turning each minute or so until all skin is evenly charred and blackened. Once complete, place in a bowl and cover in plastic wrap or a lid. The enclosed steam will help loosen the blackened skin and allow you to easily peel or rub it off.
- While the capsicums are steaming, prepare the puffed rice. In a medium saucepan, place the vegetable oil and thoroughly toss the rice through it. Place a lid on the rice and gently shake the pot over a high heat until all the rice is evenly puffed (like popcorn).
- Once puffed, allow rice to drain and cool on paper towel.
- Whilst waiting for the capsicum and rice, prepare the dressing. Mix all ingredients together thoroughly, in a jug and season to taste.
- Allowing the dressing to sit for 15-30 minutes will increase the flavour and soften the texture of the dried herbs and spices.
- Peel skin away from capsicum flesh. Remove stalk, pith and seeds. Slice flesh into strips. Allow capsicum strips to cool while preparing the rest of the salad ingredients.
- In a bowl, toss together quinoa, olives, onions and feta. Toss ½ the dressing through these ingredients and gently place on the bottom of a presentation bowl or plate.
- Pile the strips of capsicum on top, followed by the puffed rice, drizzle over the remaining dressing and serve.
- You can add meat or vegetarian proteins if you wish increase nutrient density and satiation.
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Low Fructose / Minimal sugar
- Keto Friendly
- Dairy free
- Vegan, optional (vegan cheese or leave feta off)
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 1x 2 kg lamb shoulder, easy-carve or shoulder blade removed 12 prunes, pitted 2 large sprigs of rosemary, broken and leaves removed 2 tablespoons olive oil 100 g butter 1 onion, chopped 1 celery heart, chopped 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced 2 fresh or...
Ingredients: Serves 4 8 Moreton Bay bugs 200g thinly sliced dried pancetta 8 bay leaves 4 ripe figs, halved 2 tablespoons olive oil Juice of 1 lemon Method: Prepare your barbecue for direct grilling over a high heat. Prepare the bugs by removing the meat from the...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Teaspoon coconut sugar 6 freshly picked mint leaves Approx 500ml SodaStream Carbonated Water 10-15 assorted fresh berries One lime, halved Ice Method: Start by bringing together the coconut sugar and the mint in a food processor or alternatively...
Ingredients: Serves: 3 2 cup water 3 tbsp Valcom Tom Yum Paste 1 cup button mushrooms, halved 300g chicken fillet, sliced 1⁄4 cup TCC Premium Coconut Milk 4 tbsp Valcom Kaffir Lime Leaves 1 stalk coriander coarsely chopped 1 red chilli, cut diagonally Method: Bring...